Author Topic: ?? (Interesting Jobs)  (Read 14180 times)

corocfs

Re: ?? (Interesting Jobs)
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2005, 09:22:46 PM »
cutting out a body should be done at the local station (sapol or cfs) after major crash have attended... many cut-outs of fatalities are done after the car has been towed to a more private location..
make the scerne safe, leave it with sapol till major crash arrive, then they can call the  brigade when they are ready for the cut-out, and you can handpick your crew...

sure you can be providing fire cover... but lighting isnt our problem.. local patrols dont need to look at it, and major crash have there own light sets

rescue5271

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2005, 07:26:46 AM »
cut a body out of a car back at the station or police station may work for you but not here,why bring a car say 50kms back into town drive down the main street and then cut the poor person out????There has to be respect of the body and also of family members who live in the town it also is not easy to hand over scene to local police as they dont have the man power to deal with a MVA and provide cover for police work at the same time the local hoons would love that. But there has to be a better way that major crash can get to rural jobs faster why could they not have a couple of trainned people in country areas rather tha in the city????

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2005, 11:23:01 PM »
I really dont think that the car should be moved with a fatality in it, if you know you have to wait arounf for hours then get released from the scene then get SAPOL to call you back when Major Crash have finished, and do it on the scene. I just think that it is better than making a tow truck driver have to see things that he may not want to see.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

strikeathird

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2005, 11:40:48 PM »
I agree.  Don't think it would be good at all to move the car with a body.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 10:42:44 AM »
Cut out at a different location???????

Maybe our country RCR crews could comment - I for one have never heard of that happening. Just imaging this scenario "Excuse me Mr Towtruck driver, can you just take this car with the deceased in it back through town to our depot" - I think not. Just imaging a car with a deceased person, covered of course with tarps, being driven down North Terrace - not likely to happen

Why create more trauma, it's completely unnecessary, do the job where it happened, when the time is right and everyone else has completed their tasks.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2005, 11:04:55 AM »
I agree.... do it on site. Particularly in country areas where family are more than likely to end up at the scene. If there is a wait involved, we have always found that a drop to skeleton crew and if required, call a few select people back to scene later to do the job.

I do recall hearing of cars being transported for later extraction, but cant remember when or where... But certainly not in our area.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2005, 12:22:52 PM »
Cut out at a different location?
I have heard of this in country and city area, but that was 10+ years ago (not many times). I think the only reason was they were really stuck in the car or burnt

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2005, 09:21:13 AM »
I must apolagise, I stand corrected, a car was returned to a town in the murraylands area a year or two ago to allow an SES crew to do the final extrication.
From memory this was an extreme situation and there were other factors involved ... not just the extrication.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »
Don;t know whats happening on K.I at the moment, but there is alot of activity on the scanner.  Heard something of a HAzmat.. ?

Just heard something about a Chopper, and picking up crews..

Any one know what is happening?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2005, 08:48:02 PM »
A couple of the of the boys from burnside have been sent to KI to assist. I think they caught a ride on rescue 51
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2005, 03:46:03 PM »
I find the concept of moving a vehicle with the deceased inside appalling. Was suggested to us once to right an upside down vehicle with entrapped deceases and wouldn't even do that!

On a brighter note - I am SOO jealous if CFS personnel did catch a lift with the chopper :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2005, 04:45:07 PM »
I think trauma whys it may be less trauma in certain environment to remove the car from a scene to another location for victim removal. I've heard of it on a number of occasions in the far north (strezlecki track) where ESO from Moomba have place a totalled car on a tray back truck and driven it to an air conditioned aircraft hanger to carry out extrication as outside temp was 40+.

I've done a couple of victim removal mid winter on dirt roads in poor lighting where I'd perferred to do the job back at the station or in council shedding. This then negates some of the OHSW risk that we experience. (poor lighting and poor footing for starters). I however must say that in good light and in a stable environment that extrication at the scene should be the initial plan
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2005, 12:21:35 PM »
I think this is a each to there own case and with the number of MVA in our region I for one am happy that we do all the work at scene as it does not take long for the word to get around on what we are doing...Sure there are times that it would be nice but in many rural towns it would not work it may make the situation worse when you move the car and a body part comes a drift more paperwork for the police...

corocfs

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2005, 01:13:52 AM »
in my original post about relocating cars to do extrications of fatalities, i dont mean to have portrayed thisas a common practice, just that i know it has been and can be done.

im purely saying this could/should be done, instead of wAsting the time of many volunteers who end up standing cooling there heels for hours waiting for major crash,

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2005, 04:32:36 PM »
Kalangadoo 34 was paged to a interesting and very unusal RCR early-mid last year, our initial pager message said it was an RCR on the Kalangadoo-Glencoe road turn off no entrapments

Not brag or anything but the person who reported this accident to 000 also called his mother who is my parents family friend she called our home phone and told my dad about this accident

After getting dressed I was halfway out to the incident in my car when the pager sounded resulting in me doing a quick U-Turn to respond but despite being halfway out of town on receipt of this pager message i some how was the first person down at Kalangadoo base   

On arrival to the incident we seen a semi trailer truck which was carrying crates of apples rested on it's side in a paddock with apples scattered out among broken crates... of course the upside to this was that i got a free breakfast of fresh unbruised apples
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2005, 10:20:50 AM »
Apples, hey?

We have a pretty high rate of semi rollovers with my Brigade covering sections of the Dukes, Mallee and Princes Hwys.

Normally refer to them by the loads they were carrying - just quickly I can think of the dog food job, aluminium cans (empty) job, car carrier, pigs (dead on hooks), hay bales, empty glass bottles, dirty magazines (!), heat beads, coffee, BBQ's, TOMATOS (squish), water tanks, cattle .....

Just an example of the loads awaiting us scattered all over the road :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »
Remember my first ever call being an offal truck Vs car. The SAPOL bloke decided to taste the liquid dripping from the back of the refrigerated trailer..... "looks like water, feels like water, smells like water..... gee it even tastes like water!" *against our best wishes of course*
He turned kind of green when we opened the back.... followed by a rather hastie trip to the bushes :) Still chuckle about it today....

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 01:09:39 PM »
I remember an offal truck rollover I went to a few years back. It was right on the SAMFS SACFS boundary but on CFS side of the road. Two of us donned the old PVC splash suit trousers, BA armed ourselves with a shovel and assisted a front end loader to clean up the mess - NASTY!!

It was a great laugh for all the onlookers, watching us avoid falling over in it. :-o

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2005, 01:12:41 PM »
it was a pretty intresting job as every man and his dog rocked up shortly after Kalangadoo 34 with myself and my mum as the OIC's until one of the Wattle Range Deputies arrived on scene

When i mean by every man & his dog we had Glencoe 34,SAAS,SAPOL,SAPOL highway patrol,SASES from Mount Gambier and local landowners from around Kalangadoo

We had a big obstacle while responding to this truck rollover as the fog was so thick you could use a knife to cut it, of course this was my first or second time as 2nd OIC of Kalangadoo 34

But unfortunatley our brigade very rarely gets called to RCR's as first response only when fire cover is required for an RCR crew who is doing extraction
Kalangadoo Brigade