Author Topic: Fuel Loads  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Fuel Loads
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »
What is everyone elses opinions of fuel loads across the state. i know in our area it is the biggest fuel loads we have seen for ten years. hence our group has decided any "grass fire" responses will be automatic second alarm. Looks like it could be a very busy fire season across the mid north.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Loads
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
well it is currently still quite wet under foot around here but of course that means everything is growing a lot. however last year was much dryer at this point.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
yea the soil moisture index at clare and wirrabara forrest is only 3mm from being completely saturated.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Probably gonna see a fair few Prescribed burns in September/October im gonna guess.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
I can understand why the public tune out when it comes to fire safety.  Every year the CFS comes on the media and says its going to be the worst summer on record due to weather conditions and fuel loadings.

Fuel loadings in the parks continue to grow and always will until a fire comes along....its just nature.  Wouldnt be to worried about it, whatever happens will happen regardless of our response.

Luckily enough down here the pine forests provide a fairly unique fuel loading.  The age of the pines gives you a good indicator as to the fuel loadings below.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
As per the past decade:

"Fuel loads are the heaviest we've seen, this year is going to be "THE BIG ONE" "
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:56:45 AM »
Juan Antonio Samaranch  "These were the Best Games Ever"

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:05:51 PM »
As per the past decade:

"Fuel loads are the heaviest we've seen, this year is going to be "THE BIG ONE" "

Only time will tell 6739264 but personally i think its going to be a rather bad season as spring is gonna be rather warmer than average plus the really cold nights we had during winter would have surely set the grass up to dry off quickly 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 09:07:34 PM »
We can have the biggest fuel loads on record or grass that is dry in November but it all means nothing without the spark!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 09:09:22 PM »
As per the past decade:

Only time will tell 6739264 but personally i think its going to be a rather bad season as spring is gonna be rather warmer than average plus the really cold nights we had during winter would have surely set the grass up to dry off quickly 

Mate, every season for the past decade was going to be "The big one". It'll happen, one day, we jsut need to prepare as we always do.

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:37:11 PM »

Robert, once again your logic has done a masterful job of avoiding me.

I know a particular DGO who is no doubt making sacrifices to Vulcan, in the hope of a good fire season (just one of two decent fires would keep him happy).

It's just these pesky forestry companies with their towers, spotters & bombers that catch fires before they've got a chance to get going.
(I will now remove my tongue from its cheek)

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:36 AM »
With the spate of grass fire's around the state this wekk its clear that with the little rain that we have had that is already drying of at a fast rate.DSE have already started burning off and with fuel loads in mind they are trying to get into areas that may cause a problem this coming summmer....

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »
DSE have already started burning off and with fuel loads in mind they are trying to get into areas that may cause a problem this coming summmer....

That would include hundreds of KM of roadside reveg by the BushCare people ?   :lol:

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
With the spate of grass fire's around the state this wekk its clear that with the little rain that we have had that is already drying of at a fast rate

You are dead right about that Bill there have been alot of grass fires around the state lately and with the dry spring coming very quickly the drying rate will be fast

That would include hundreds of KM of roadside reveg by the BushCare people ? :lol:

Now now Alan lets not go picking on the poor defenseless BushCare people they are only doing their bit to protect the environment  :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
Were the spate of calls to "grass fires" over the last fews days actually a problem with fires getting away, or nervous passersby panicking at the first sign of smoke?

While some area may be very dry still (and looking at the SDI's, some areas are still up around 150) there are many other areas (like the Mt Lofty Ranges) that are literally saturated.

It'll take until December to dry out around here!!  :evil:

I hope that in media campaigns / releases, we avoid the "Cry Wolf"  with the worst ever fire season etc etc etc.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »
Pip, The grass fire down here the other day no one knows who started it,the road / track that it was on this time of the year we would not have been able to get into as it would have been very wet but it was dry... There was a lot of heat in the ground and the fire had a nice run up some trees,mind you the grass land around was all GREEN...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:35 AM »
With all the media hype about the Erickson Aircrane...we will be ready for the BIG ONE that got away...... :-P
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 01:08:15 PM »
Pfft Aircranes....Air Tractor Bombers do the most of the best work. No doubt about that. If anything,  Use the Aircrane to save a house.

the aircrane can come help mop up any day thanks :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:38:32 PM by Zippy »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
Yep the air tractors do all the work and are quicker to get airborne and launch an air strike on a fire before it gets out of hand  :-)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 03:18:28 PM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
Pfft Aircranes....Air Tractor Bombers do the most of the best work. No doubt about that. If anything,  Use the Aircrane to save a house.

Yep the
air tractors do all the work and are quicker to get airborne and launch an air strike on a fire before it gets out of hand  :-)

I still think the baggyarses on the ground do the most and the best work...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »

Yep the
air tractors do all the work and are quicker to get airborne and launch an air strike on a fire before it gets out of hand  :-)

I still think the baggyarses on the ground do the most and the best work...

Couldnt agree more numbers....
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
Skycrane......spare me.......

anything