Author Topic: firefighter fitness  (Read 13174 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: firefighter fitness
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Yeah I think it is very clear in CFS that if you are buggered say so and get off the fire ground. and it is probably one of the big saving graces that keep CFS vollies alive. You do have to remember that the US forestry do alot more dry firefighting and that sort of work tho.

rescue5271

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »
I wish some people would remember THIS IS AUSTRALIA and not the USA and let's remember  those guys in the US forest service who do dry firefighting or any other sort of firefighting get paid as they are full time summer firefighters...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Fitness standards will never improve in the CFS while people still have the attitude "We are only volunteers". People don't want to undertake further training in firefighting/rescue operations let alone have to do anything that means they should take some personal responsibility.

Notice that most of the people who care about CFS and their ability to perform physically in the job are the ones that already take care of their own fitness.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

misterteddy

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »
I wish some people would remember THIS IS AUSTRALIA and not the USA and let's remember  those guys in the US forest service who do dry firefighting or any other sort of firefighting get paid as they are full time summer firefighters...

hmm....maybe some people could recognise a comment for illustration....not a statistically significant comparison. And if you'd like to go find the data from all firefighter deaths in the US for 07/08 (and the report is out)....then Volunteer responders figure just as high as any others....so perhaps we can just look at figures then...and not flags

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
Guys,  after a scrubbie today....my fitness is *thumbs down/fart sound*...  tommorow,  on the treadmill!~!!!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 10:36:45 PM »
Guys,  after a scrubbie today....my fitness is *thumbs down/fart sound*...  tommorow,  on the treadmill!~!!!

AAAAHHHHH,Dont worry about the treadmill, go operational support.......TOUGHEN UP PRINCESS!!! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »
actually wouldnt mind doing IMT stuff, but im "too young" for that...HA HA.   I quite prefer urban incidents over rural mop ups quite some much.

.......TOUGHEN UP PRINCESS!!!

Nextime i see you on the fireground, ill get ya back for saying that ;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:03:32 PM by Zippy »

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 04:48:58 AM »

I beg to differ Bill.

Some of them are paid crews contracted to forestry/parks.
Just like here. 
The locals who respond first are, in many cases, volunteer brigades.
Just like here.
Local volunteers can be expected to do dry fire-fighting.
Just like here.
Their volunteer brigades/departments have widely varying cultures - from 'relaxed' to 'motivated'.
Just like here.

Numbers is right though... the people who care about fitness in the organisation are mostly taking care of their own already.

cheers
AJ
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline whitecloud

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »
THe bottom line, if nothing else should be a level of personal accountability for one's own stamina and fitness on the fireground.

There are a lot of people I wouldnt trust working with at a going job under any circumstance, due to distinct inability to keep up even under drill conditions.

In dry firefighting work it is just as important as within structure to have good levels of cardiovascular fitness and endurance. Whilst with structure, there is a clean air source in your BA, when it comes to wild fire, there is definate need for both good aerobic and anaerobic fitness.

Offline Seagrave

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 01:26:50 PM »
If all the members on this thread that bitch about firefighter fitness spent at least half the time they spend on here whinging about being unfit numptys working out they would be giving Lance Armstrong a run/ride for his money in the Tour Down Under!

Get off your bums fatties!!!

misterteddy

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »
interesting post on Firehouse this morning
http://cms.firehouse.com/web/online/News/Research--Training-DVD-Give-Volunteer-Firefighters-a-Helping-Hand/46$61561
 Program from the States (Indiana) specially designed for volunteer firefighters that look similar in role and responsibility to us. Not a bad looking DVD with some good advice although its a bit long to download at 64mins

Website is here
http://www.indiana.edu/~firefit/

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »

Heart Disease, cardiac episodes, cholesterol levels and every other medical problem associated with severe exertion and lack of fitness, are the same the world over.. US or AUS, Paid or Vol..

Just because your a Volunteer, doesn't mean people should 'pee' their fitness levels out the window because they 'don't get paid'.. - A certain level of fitness should be kept, the minute you take the *RESPONSIBILITY* of being a Firefighter.. - Paid or Vollie..!