Author Topic: SASES compared to NSW SES  (Read 3230 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
SASES compared to NSW SES
« on: September 21, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
Just thought you guys might be interested in the requirements in NSW.
Our internal qualifications are not recognised by NSW, interesting considering what those of us who went to Newcastle last year witnessed :-D
However the National Competency ones are with some qualification, not sure what that means - yet!
The good news is that an assessment only is the plan, no need to go on a full course.
Each division has heaps of courses planned & they are spread all over the division, not just one location!
They have a Operate a 4wd course!
Their induction takes 1 night!
Unit controllers were given $1000 each to compensate them for any personal expenses they incure, this money is seperate to any unit funding they receive & to spend on anything they see fit!
The unit has a new facility, paid for by unit fund raising, council & government grants. Previously they had no home at all (equipment was stored at the controllers place & the local VRA building.
Equipment levels are well below what I'm used to (however the unit is not a rescue unit).
Local rescue is handled by NSW Rescue Service (VRA), people can be & are members of both! The local SES was excited to get a vehicle! I kid you not - a second hand dual cab ute! Previously they used private cars & VRA appliances. They also have two flood boats (new) and a trailer for storms.
The local NSW Rescue unit has a couple of old second hand trucks, to get new ones they have to fund raise - nil government funding except grants!
Once deemed a rescue unit, that means all rescues except VR however most are both.
There are big gaps between resources - one unit covers a whole shire about the size in area eqivilant to Renmark to Moorook.
Here equipment is very limited, when I mentioned what happens in SA they were shocked.
Makes me realise how lucky I was back in SA :wink:
Anyway thought you might be interested, seeing how much we complained about the SA situation!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: SASES compared to NSW SES
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »
Where on earth did you land? The 1960's? ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SASES compared to NSW SES
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
lol thats what I thought! good mob of people though the rescue side is fairly busy & backup is a long way away.
Its just a different setup to NSW.
Hurray for ESL :wink:
Ken
just another retard!

anything