Author Topic: private units  (Read 7845 times)

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
private units
« on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »
Hey got a friend who lives in sturt group. wants to know if can register his old cfa truck as farm unit?

who handles that? the group of state?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: private units
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
Yeah, I bet your 'friend' does ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
it would be more beneficial if your "friend" joins the local brigade and assists with crewing an already well and capable firefighting appliance.

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
Contact the SAVFBA or check out their website,does the ex CFA appliance have red and blues?? can you get any photos or information on it??

There are a number of EX CFA tankers here in the south east that belong to community fire brigade's or farm units,one has its red and blues on it and still has the brigade name on it makes it very hard on the fire ground when your trying to call them....

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »

State obviously handles vehicle registration, but they'd only care about it's clasification as a MR/HR vehicle, not whether it's a fire truck.

It would be up to the group as to whether or not they 'register' farm units. Some groups apparently do this before the fire season. Our group doesn't pay too much attention to farm units - farmers just rock up to a fire if they live near the incident.

uniden

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 06:26:50 PM »
There are some guidelines for this now. I believe there have been some information sessions held in the past for farmers/private operators, regarding protective clothing, amber lights etc.

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »
That is correct these meetings where done in regions where there are farm firefighting units and was run by the SAVFBA,the aim was to inform farmers about what they would have to do before coming onto the fire ground so as to cover them for insurance.The days are gone when you could just rock up with some drums and a low down pump.Now you have to have PPE,be asked onto the fire ground,and you also have to report to the group command car so that you are recorded onto the aiims system.All in all its a safer better system for all and we need the farm units more than ever....

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
a private unit does not have to be ask on to a fire ground. the cfs are going down the path of brigade captains inspecting private units to make sure the tank and pump are up to scratch and they have some sort of PPE. once they are inspected they get a sticker on the window to say they are approved. this comes about because some city coppers on road blocks are not letting private farm units through to fight the fire. ur right that some one needs to know they are there for the logistics of an incident and for insurance and ohs+w.

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »

State obviously handles vehicle registration, but they'd only care about it's clasification as a MR/HR vehicle, not whether it's a fire truck.

It would be up to the group as to whether or not they 'register' farm units. Some groups apparently do this before the fire season. Our group doesn't pay too much attention to farm units - farmers just rock up to a fire if they live near the incident.

I know of several occasions where private units in the WRG have been first on the scene and had fires not only contained but extingused before the CFS crews arrive. Groups need to recognise private units, as they can be a great help.
No ute No circle work

uniden

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »
No doubt that private units are benficial. The guidelines came into place so that incident controllers etc know who is at the scene and where they are. Pretty important for safety alerts and for when things go pear shape.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »
thats exactly right guys...KDOO-BTO cant agree more me n my old ma are farmers and are also up to our necks in C.F.S so we see it from both sides but i think its working really well up our way anyway.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 10:09:46 PM »
I know of several occasions where private units in the WRG have been first on the scene and had fires not only contained but extingused before the CFS crews arrive. Groups need to recognise private units, as they can be a great help.

No argument here Danny. Unfortunately our GOs aren't all that interested in building relationships with farmers. Fortunately a lot of groups are on good working terms, though it does seem that Pt Mac, Mt Gambier & Wattle Range don't seem to have as many farm units as the likes of Tatiara.

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 06:49:27 AM »
Danny,do you mean private forest company units or farm units???

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »

All the times I've been to grass fires or scrub fires theres normally forestry 14 units from Forestry SA, ITC and on the odd occasion from Timbercorp helping out

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:28:16 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »
Danny,do you mean private forest company units or farm units???

Farm units Bill.  I know one little patch on the highway between Millicent and Mt Gambier where there where about 8 of them in about a 5km radius at one stage but due to some properties being brought by pines and others changing hands its down to 3 farm units.But they know they're not trained for forest fires so are glad to stay out in the grass and help hit the fire once it gets there and once the fire is in the grassland work well with the local brigades. Much to the disgust of some officers.
No ute No circle work

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 12:37:56 AM »
Hey got a friend who lives in sturt group. wants to know if can register his old cfa truck as farm unit?

If your 'friend' lives on acreage & genuinely has the vehicle to fight fire
on his own property & assist his immediate neighbours, then there's no law
stopping him.

If he wants to play hero & turn up at all sorts of odd places in the district,
then he's likely to be made unwelcome real quick. If that's his intent, better
that he join his local brigade & respond with them.

In fact, it would be a good idea to join his local brigade anyway.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »
he would also need to make sure his insurance covers him for what he is doing once he leave's his onw farm/house/property, he would be better to join the CFS but if he did not want to he can still run it as  a farm unit but would need to make contact with the local group.. There are a number of people who i have spoken to and given a quote to who are now looking at buying second hand fire trucks for their hill's hobby farms as they know that there wont be a fire truck at each house when the brown stuff hits the fan...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 11:38:16 AM »
Just to add to what KDOO_BTO has said about a few private units between Millicent and Mount Gambier there is also one on the Mount Burr road just up from the Mount Mc Intyre fire shed... im not sure if this is true or not but according to what i was told it's an ex EFS truck converted into a farm unit   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 2468

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
yeah he can't afford to do it anymore... and transport sa said he had to strip red and white striping.

ah well

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »
Robert or 2468,do you have any contact details for the person who has this old EFS unit?? if so contact me via email....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 05:56:27 PM »
Transport SA said he had to strip red and white striping.

ah well

Nothing to do with them as it does not alter the vehicles ADR's :wink:
Images are copyright

anything