Author Topic: Firefighting foam ( A class)  (Read 4782 times)

rescue5271

Firefighting foam ( A class)
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:20:26 AM »
As we all know CFS will only use foam that is approved by the US FOREST SERVICE as do all other state fire service's in Australia,so why is it that we are seeing a non approved foam being used in some group's???. Is it that local groups have bought this foam with out asking is it approved to be used by CFS brigade's / group's.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Firefighting foam ( A class)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 07:42:26 AM »
For the uneducated do you know which brands are approved and those that aren't and is there a list?

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
I shall find the list and post it on here....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:51 AM »
Heres another question, when will the CFS cease using AFFF and BFFF a shift to using a single foam type?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

misterteddy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
Heres another question, when will the CFS cease using AFFF and BFFF a shift to using a single foam type?
theres a significant cost difference between the two.....so when the AFFF type foams become cheaper..then maybe....until then, no chance IMHO

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
It will happen one day,at the moment there is not one foam that will do both A and B class fire's......

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
It will happen one day,at the moment there is not one foam that will do both A and B class fire's......

Actually, I think there is.  NSWFB use a single foam for both types - they just change the dilution percentage depending on the fire.   Sounds like a great system to me.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »

Have a look at Angus Niagara foam. Oddly enough it does both A AND B class fires as well as both Hydrocarbon and Polar solvent B class fires. So really its a 3 in 1 (Film Forming, Alcohol Resistant, Fluoro Protein), yes thats AR-FFFP. She goes great guns through CAFS as well. I'm not 110% sure on the difference in cost, but it seems like an easy way to go.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

misterteddy

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:39:51 AM »
ok kool, had a look at  their site and yes it does say "can be used on Class A and B fires" which I suppose is a fair statement. All AFFF companies I guess would say that.

I have a couple of queries with it;

a. Doesnt mention anywhere (that I can see) that it is authorised to be used by the US Forrest Service. That and terms like "virtually" no environmental impact, make me think there might be a few issues there.

b. I'd be really keen to know more about the science behind it. Class A foam properties use surfactant action for deep penetration of fuel loads, and penetration of porous matter. A  foam that forms a polymer "skin" when heated cant promote that same action - at least to my uneducated brain. Be cool to know more about it.

c. Cost would have to be high.... I havent ever seen a alcohol resistant foam that is even 3 times the $$ of BFFF, but then others in the business might have.

Always happy to be educated on new stuff......cheers for that

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/fire/wildland_chemicals.htm

The above link should help you....and only foam that is on the list is approved by CFS....

misterteddy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »
hmm...good reference...thanks. Lots of interesting stuff on that site too :)