Author Topic: what gear should we have....  (Read 10951 times)

rescue5271

what gear should we have....
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »
What equipment should we be having on all the appliances that are coming out at the moment,think about it and start a list of what you think we should have rather than what we would like.

The new 34 rural appliances need to have a better set up for the foam storage than have it in a locker under the crew deck,I would also like to see that 25mm layflat hose be canvas and that its a  percolating hose so that it can be used better in grass/scrub and forest fires.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: what gear should we have....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
All appliances should have a 80L foam storage tank (with a foam pump similar to the Mils Tui 34P's)

Throw the Stop/Go Batts away and provide simple training in the proper use of Maglights and lanterns.

Forget the Burnover curtain on the crew deck as youll generally have the time to get into the SAFER crew cab.

A neat and "hidden" pump and plumbing system. Easier to use turn on and shut off valves.

6 lines of 25mm. 4 Lines of 38mm. 6 Lines of 64mm.

4 E-flares per appliance.

Light Tower for every appliance larger than a 14.

Stokes Litter and spine board.

single 90m hosereel hoisted above pump.

a small reasonable Generator and 2 Portable Lights.

Removable Hose Winders...no more of this rolling up by hand business.

Medical Oxygen. (AED's for command cars)

NON-Break apart tools (brooms, shovels, ceiling hooks...that dont fall apart during use)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »

Throw the Stop/Go Batts away and provide simple training in the proper use of Maglights and lanterns.

Forget the Burnover curtain on the crew deck as youll generally have the time to get into the SAFER crew cab.

single 90m hosereel hoisted above pump.

Removable Hose Winders...no more of this rolling up by hand business.

Maglites dont work too well in the daylight.

Big risk removing rear burnover curtain...

Single hosereel?  definately need two

removable hosewinders?  SOFT!  hahaha
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Keep the stop / slow bats.....we find them very useful in our area, when having to deal the traffic. 

I'd like to see all appliances with the "Peter Green hose winder handles" - a simple stainless steel handle, that you simply slide into a fitting on the appliance tray, and enables you to wind up 25, 38 & 64 mm hoses while standing upright, and not on the ground.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:01:20 PM »
Before we start looking at what wonderous equipment we 'should' have to work with, how about the basics?

A portable radio, PER SEAT on the appliance. The fact that we have people in burning buildings and running around in scrub out of LoS and without a radio scares the hell outta me.

E-Flares/Strobes, the more the better ATLEAST one per seat on the Appliance again. Strobes can go under the Traffic Cones, and the E-Flares can be clipped to the Traffic cones and ourselves to inmprove visibility.

Stop/Slow bats are great.

Keep the burnover curtain. Its a good rain shelter too! :P

Zippy are you talking in general about what some appliances should have, or what should be on every truck? That hose setup ain't going to be much chop for some brigades. Only 4 lengths of 38?!?!

How about some correct sized road cones? There are brigades out there getting around with TINY TINY, soccer drill sized cones. Same with brigades on the highways, needing the larger sizes.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »
VOLUNTEERS crewing the truck
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:32 AM »
VOLUNTEERS crewing the truck

Geeze, I'd rather professionals for my local community, but whatever floats your boat!

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
So what are you saying Volunteers are not professionals???  Now who is the idiot....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:21:54 PM »
So what are you saying Volunteers are not professionals???  Now who is the idiot....

Oh how did I guess where this was going to end up. Do you get paid to sit on the CFS truck? No. Thus, by definition, you're not a professional - You don't get paid for your services, nor is it your career or livelyhood.

That is not to say that some CFS operators are not very skilled people ;)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:11:32 PM »
CFS Volunteers are not professionals!  However there is nothing to say we cant act Professionally!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:37:16 PM »
In agree-ance with the above two posts..

-But awaits a number of nufties to crack the sads...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
Before they do crack the sads.....Keep it on topic!!!!!!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
Settle down boys we might not be paid but we are professional in what we do as a volunteer organisation.

As for what we need on an appliance water,adequate hose, and volunteers to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff, make use of the equipment that you have been given.

Remember our forefathers did it tougher than us all those years ago :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
Just like in the world of everything old is new again I though I reserect this topic with a bit of new twist. After helping our captain with ensuring that the appliance has the correct stowage on it in readiness for an audit done by region. Do standard stowage lists really reflect the threats that are faced within a township i.e when a 14 in a small town has only three hoses and two of them are layflats and on is a 38 and branches fitted with a wajex (hose real and tow side lines) is all you have you have it begs the question of what is the standard based on.

Any light shedding would be most useful
keep it simple for sanity skes please

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:22:15 PM »
It is based on what the appliances is that the brigade has or is getting, I know its silly but if you are a small brigade with some houses you would think you would have a 24/34 with some urban/rural gear on it.. i can never work out how CFS give a brigade a 14 unit only and they have houses in the town and there is no mains water......

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:56 PM »
Just like in the world of everything old is new again I though I reserect this topic with a bit of new twist. After helping our captain with ensuring that the appliance has the correct stowage on it in readiness for an audit done by region. Do standard stowage lists really reflect the threats that are faced within a township i.e when a 14 in a small town has only three hoses and two of them are layflats and on is a 38 and branches fitted with a wajex (hose real and tow side lines) is all you have you have it begs the question of what is the standard based on.

Any light shedding would be most useful

Applying my brigades theory on standard stowage of hose, etc

1st 14/QAV, 2nd 24/34/P's, 3rd Pumpers

25mm = "4 + 1x15m" for all.  (dont accept duraline 25mm...its bs)
38mm = 2,4,8
64mm = 1,6,10

how does that sound for your stowage thoughts mallee?

Obtaining up to date lists was tried and tested, and failed,  Pre-2002 lists still used.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:51:38 PM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 03:40:17 AM »

38mm = 2,4,8
64mm = 1,6,10

Obtaining up to date lists was tried and tested, and failed,  Pre-2002 lists still used.

I'll tell you how that sounds... A-filtered-trocious

4 lengths of 25mm? Brigades in the flat grasslands need none, yet the Brigades in the Hills interface need hoselaying appliances pack with them.

38mm, Are the Brigades plantation Brigades? Are they Urban? How does the Brigade run the hose setup?

The standards are based on what CFS HQ believe is the minimum stowage required for an appliance to perform its Fireground role. It also serves as a base for how much CFS have to spend on "Required" equipment.

There is nothing stopping you stowing an appliances with items that your Brigade deems necessary to cover the risk in their area. As long as you do the paperwork, are prepared to pay for it and can present a logical case...

Want 20x64mm hose? Go for it if you can afford it...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
Numbers is right, if its approved kit and your vehicle doesnt exceed weight limitations, then load er up :-)
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

38mm = 2,4,8
64mm = 1,6,10

I'll tell you how that sounds... A-filtered-trocious

4 lengths of 25mm? Brigades in the flat grasslands need none, yet the Brigades in the Hills interface need hoselaying appliances pack with them.

38mm, Are the Brigades plantation Brigades? Are they Urban? How does the Brigade run the hose setup?

The standards are based on what CFS HQ believe is the minimum stowage required for an appliance to perform its Fireground role. It also serves as a base for how much CFS have to spend on "Required" equipment.

There is nothing stopping you stowing an appliances with items that your Brigade deems necessary to cover the risk in their area. As long as you do the paperwork, are prepared to pay for it and can present a logical case...

Want 20x64mm hose? Go for it if you can afford it...

yeah good points to raise there numbers.

variable things like plantation 38's  and less 25's in flatland is worthwhile to note, but heaps of 25 still gets used in flatland...Kangaroo island oh what fun!

It'd be pretty nice to setup a Group Hoselay Trailer for those brigades that dont particularly need to overstock there appliance.   Believe this is done with DEH already? or East torrens?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:16:09 AM by Zippy »

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
Definately know DEH have a trailer with heaps of hoses, don't think East Torrens does though?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
...There is nothing stopping you stowing an appliances with items that your Brigade deems necessary to cover the risk in their area. As long as you do the paperwork, are prepared to pay for it and can present a logical case...

Would a small town brigade have the money or resources to pay for the extra equipment to cover the risk ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »
Emergency Services Levy.

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 03:18:52 PM »
What does a 14 in small village on the EP need with the resource sector staggering. It needs 2 * layflats, 1 * 38 mm (and no branch to put on the end of it)no extra fuel since the nearest servo is over 55 km away. No hard suction as it to dry. No hand tools other than a home handy man starters kit, no ladder. A couple of tabards and a radio and before I forget it a map book book that doesn't have your village in it.

We have structure fire at least one a year, vehicle fires, trees that lay across a highway / roads and road accidents and the odd dump fire. We have pump stations, a pub and community clubs and a couple of commercial properties and a school.

Does standard mean performing it roll for the fire ground somehow I feel the two don't match up. To me the standards is not matching the reality of the situation what we tell the community sorry because of the unlikely probability of anything happening you don't deserve anything more than this (I know a bit emotional). To me the standard stowage list put to ashame the the risk management process and turn it into a purely academic process in order to tick a box. What do we say at an investigation as to why something has gone pear shape look at the paper work that we did arn't we brillant when the only thing they would care about is why did this happen.
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
Fair point Mallee, as youve put pen to paper(figurativly) for this here, if there is a problem for your brigade, then inform your group officers in writting via email requesting a message received emailback.
Start to put your case to the chain of command and have either a review of your SFEC, or request additional equipment for the appliances.
Remember the squeeky gate gets oiled first!..........or hit with the gas axe and dumped.

Darren

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
Highlight the problem through group and region, then when you get no help the problem has been highlighted and documented so the coroner can say well CFS good to see you ignored it.