Author Topic: FDI's  (Read 25952 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
FDI's
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
i notice the FDI has just gone over 50 in our area which is now extreme. be the first for this year pretty nasty day out and about.

rescue5271

Re: FDI's
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
Strong north wind here in Naracoorte and  temp will reach 30 today....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:40:25 AM »
The wind is starting to pick up here as well plus its quite warm to
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:15:52 PM »
1st November FDS for Majority of Area's and 15th of November for those area's with better conditions...?  thats my bet anyhow...

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 01:56:56 PM »
1st November FDS for Majority of Area's and 15th of November for those area's with better conditions...?  thats my bet anyhow...

i reckon our fire danger season starts 15th oct dont hold me to that tho...FDI is currently 81  :-o

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
yeah the REAL danger season has probably started yesterday for you....the fire "BAN" season i mean ;)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »
Still too green here to get high GFDI.
Estimate only 50-80% cured returns GFDI=25 at worst.
Windy enough to keep a few crews busy if something
got going, but nothing to lose sleep over.
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »
Filtered panic merchants. spread a semi load of petrol over a 10 acre paddock and it still would struggle to burn in the lower SE at the moment.
Party Brigade.  Filtered the Brass

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 06:17:04 PM »
Filtered panic merchants. spread a semi load of petrol over a 10 acre paddock and it still would struggle to burn in the lower SE at the moment.
[/q

YP and Midnorth would burn at drop of a hat now. mid north especially. has dried off extremely qucikly in last 3 weeks. hence i think fire ban seasons will be bought forward.

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
Ringer, would not take much and from what SAFOREST are saying the lower southeast would burn now if the conditions where right.....May be in your patch its still green as it is in most parts of the SE but with the right conditions anything will burn...

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
how about this then

Wudinna 41 -5 NW 55  SW  60  15-19  0 5 246 EXT  170  EXT X

246 for the grassland FDI and 170 for the forest FDI
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
1908852 16:12:27 24-10-08 CFS: SIG INC: TOTAL FIRE BANS HAVE BEEN DECLARED FOR 25/10/08 IN THE NWP, NEP, WC, EEP, FL, MLR, KI, LSE. ON-CALL STAFF CONFIRM. > 24/10/2008 16:12:33 PM CFS HQ Info

Summer has come early to South Australia and according to Weatherzone website Mount Gambier's forecasted temperature for Saturday has jumped from 32 to 34 degrees  :-o
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
crazy stuff we come under the YP fire ban district and its been above FDI 50 here most of the afternoon today yet no fire ban 2 mora :?...so technically i could go n have a burnoff 2 mora and be quite with in the law..not that i would. fire bans baffle me sometimes.....

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 05:23:06 PM »
Would have to say the Upper southeast is much dryer than the lower southeast and they should have just done both locations,sometimes FDI'S will change by lunchtime and its too late then to have a fire ban....

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 05:43:49 PM »
How abotu we just put the entire state in a TFB until some time next year... would that suit everyone?

Honestly people... its the BOM, they dont get the weatehr right half the time and you expecvt them to predict the FDIs accurately every day? FDIs dont mean much anything anyway until the curing is identified as being 100%.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
Remember murphy's law of fire fighting OMGWTF never say that nothing is going to happen cause something will happen   :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
Lower south east will burn now, Small grass fire in Millicent tonight. No wind so it didn't go far.

With tommorrows expected wind, It will burn well. But its going to rain on sunday.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 08:47:55 PM »
Keep it civil please.....It's a worthwhile discussion. No ones panicking just a simple observation that curing is happening rather quickly and given the prediction of warm weather and strong wind CFS are rightly putting bans in early.

No need to be alarmist but being aware that jobs could escalate this time of year is worth considering. You know what they say about complacency.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:29 PM »
You know what they say about complacency.

Yeah GO's are great at it  :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 10:07:25 PM »
You know what they say about complacency.

Yeah GO's are great at it  :lol:

Hear hear to that!
pfft, FDI's dont worry me, im bed ridden till mid next week lol

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 11:22:27 PM »
Keep it civil please.....It's a worthwhile discussion. No ones panicking just a simple observation that curing is happening rather quickly and given the prediction of warm weather and strong wind CFS are rightly putting bans in early.

No need to be alarmist but being aware that jobs could escalate this time of year is worth considering. You know what they say about complacency.

Brilliant idea time,....... FRIDGE MAGNETS with maybe a catchy saying like  "when the FDI is 50 and above, dont be alarmed, be aware" I'm a friggan genius...alright I wasn't going to tell anyone about my other great idea , but im warmed up now so here it is.
 A device that would sit in everyones house and say you wanted to ask your neighbour something, like "have you finished with my Twister game and the baby oil yet" instead of shouting over the back fence, you could pick up your "jaffaphone" and call your neighbour or anyone you had a hankering too and have a conversation, Brilliant HUH!.
Those teachers at school were sure wrong about me hey! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »

No, I don't know what they say about complacency. 
It isn't something I really have to worry about, is it?  I mean, it's not like we have
one every day.  There'll be plenty of time to find out about it if we ever have a
complacency around here.  I'll decide what to do about it then.

:-D
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 06:04:11 AM »
We where talking about FDI's last night whle washing fire trucks and we all agree that FDI'S is only part of the maths used to place a fire ban with in any part of the state....

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
We where talking about FDI's last night whle washing fire trucks and we all agree that FDI'S is only part of the maths used to place a fire ban with in any part of the state....

Please explain mate... FDIs are the deciding factor, however special events/current incidents may effect it slightly.

rescue5271

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
As someone has already said we have had FDI'S well over 50 but no fire ban....so its not the FDI that is the main factor but its,temp,wind,rh and whatever else they want to put into the factor.

anything