Author Topic: RCR - Car Prep.  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
RCR - Car Prep.
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
so what do you guys do to prepare your cut up vehicles for brigade level RCR training?

I am thinking of trying to get the place that supplies our cars to simulate a roll over, with entrapment due to compression of roof. by placing some dummies in car, then getting them to crush the car with their giant hydraulic press until the roof is almost level with the top of the doors.
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

rescue5271

Re: RCR - Car Prep.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:10:44 PM »
Why use dummies yes members to do this as long as you leave enough room to get them inside... While I was in Naracoorte we always tryed to make the car prep as real as possable and only the rescue officer and some members would know what was going to go on.You can run it as a job or you can run it as a hands on training session....

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »
Haha, seems to be the month for RCR mock incidents...few in my brigade are organising a 'RCR Fire' group excersize for a upcoming training night.

Here's a tip, ensure the first appliance to respond to the mock incident has NO Facts except a pager message and keep it very vauge.

Mock incidents seem to help get those brains working!

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »
Bills got it, i can think of a few firies i wouldnt ming putting in a hydraulic press.... hmmmmm   :roll:

By the way, why bother letting the rescue officer know what the go is? Surely the idea should be to keep everyone in the dark until arrival as per a real incident. Just a vague pager message ;)

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
The rescue brigade in my group have a Fork lift with several attachments as well as props eg: water barriers, poles, powerline, crates and a mock stobie. Theres an abundance of scenarios that can be created.

We have done plenty of combined drills/scenarios with good results

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
The rescue brigade in my group have a Fork lift with several attachments as well as props eg: water barriers, poles, powerline, crates and a mock stobie. Theres an abundance of scenarios that can be created.

:-o Nice!!!

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »
why do practical training? 

every job is going to be vastly different - and if you lot are as smart or as good as you all proclaim to be.....then that makes you a team of quick-on your feet-lateral thinking professional volunteers who can manage anything that gets thrown your way without any politics or inter-agency issues

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:44:48 PM by OMGWTF »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 10:18:43 PM »
Dont forget to do a risk assessment for the group exercise first :-P

Heaven help you if you have to use a chainsaw to cut a tree down to effect a rescue....but wait you'll need DEH to do that because CFS dont reaccredit their chainsaww operators :-P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:00:20 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »
Because the maintenance of competencies is vital is us retaining the status of "quick-on your feet-lateral thinking professional volunteers who can manage anything that gets thrown your way without any politics or inter-agency issues"

some things are possible to learn without hands on approaches, but others are not, also, not everyone learns in the same manner, nor retains knowledge in the same way.

Also mock incidents allow more experienced members to step back and watch the less experienced ones work, without the politics related with having the most appropriate person doing whatever. ie. having a rescue operator with 15 years+ on the tools, always taking over and not letting equally capable young/new people work. (seen that happen.)

This can achieve 2. main things, 1. It can give the older more experienced operators confidence in the younger ones skills, (and the cfs's ability to train people well.) 2. the older/more experienced people can note down things which concern them done by less experienced operators, and bring these up at the post "incident" debrief, (like we all have :evil:)

**SA Firey, Sounds like you guys got the risk assessment thing brought up at your meeting tonight too **
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....plop

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
Dont forget to do a risk assessment for the group exercise first :-P

Heaven help you if you have to use a chainsaw to cut a tree down to effect a rescue....but wait you'll need DEH to do that because CFS dont reaccredit their chainsaww operators :-P

thats where common sense prevails and you say SCREW THAT.

Our group excersize has a 2 page Brief..i think thats classed as Very throughly risk assesseed.   One brigade alone is dedicated to excersize safety/Viewing..mostly because you dont have a 9 fire appliance response to a RCR fire lol.....  To get as many involved as possible its 4 appliances plus the Two Rescue teams.   Aka  2nd Alarm RCR with extra Fire response.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:25:17 AM by Zippy »

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »
Good day for fishing.. ;)

*Puts on baggy hat*

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 12:46:06 PM »
owww...im stuck at work, catch some for me!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:26:16 PM »
A few years ago a brigade had an interesting fund raiser, and preparing a car for cutting up, all rolled into one!!

The local show was on, and CFS had a vehicle that they were going to cut up.  They had a sledgehammer, helmet & a pair of safety glasses.

You paid your money (from memory it was $1 for a minute) and got one minute to bash the car up with the sledgehammer.

Once lots of people had a go, the brigade then cut up the smashed up car.

Lots of people had lots of fun that day!!    :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
Well it is show season,now will CFS let us do this???? NOPE

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
..mostly because you dont have a 9 fire appliance response to a RCR fire lol..... 

Unless you're in Lofty Group of course... :P