Author Topic: Working at Heights  (Read 3909 times)

misterteddy

Working at Heights
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:27 AM »
Just wondered what people do regards safe working at heights practices. Yes, obviously don't fall off is the top answer.....

There are a couple of categories of fall arresting devices available under the Australian Standard (AS/NZS 1891/2007), but they are not easily utilised in the sort of situations we might encounter.

Do we (or should we?) run anchor lines and safety lines? Is there a simple system that everyone can utilise without needing to do the advanced rope macrame course enabling you to abseil off the SGIC building? Is there a ladder mounted system that provides a measure of protection while you're moving to clip on to a roof mounted system?....

Having seen a few of our team on the top of some sloping, slippery, double story roofs chasing ceiling fires makes me think we need to look at it in a different way rather than relying on testosterone and the "we've always done it that way" statements. Replies that include phrases like Safework SA, heights over 60cms, banning, another course/qualification,  arent overly helpful....lets just try and find a safe solution rather than using risk avoidance as a defence

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Working at Heights
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
Well i don't know any sources but i believe it has been established on this site that SA doesn't have a specific height that you need a restraining device to work above. But correct me if i am wrong.

Yes in general i think it would be a good idea but i don;t see any practical ways that would give you an "improved chance" of effectively saving the house.

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but, SA OHS&W Regulations, 1995. states in:

Division 2.13—Prevention of falls

2.13.1—Prevention of falls
(1) The purpose of this regulation is—
(a) to guard against falls that cause injuries due to the distances fallen; and
(b) to guard against persons falling into enclosures or containers that contain a
source of danger; and
(c) to ensure safe access to elevated workplaces; and
(d) to prescribe standards that must be observed in relation to the construction,
maintenance and use of ladders; and
(e) to prescribe standards that must be observed in relation to the performance of
maintenance work carried out above ground level on permanent structures.
(2) If—
(a) a person must work—
(i) in an elevated workplace from which he or she could fall;
or
(ii) in the vicinity of an opening through which he or she could fall; or
(iii) in any other place from which he or she could fall,
and it is reasonably foreseeable that the person would be injured in such a fall
due to the distance of the fall; or
(b) a person must work in the vicinity of an enclosure or container into which he
or she could fall and there is a reasonable likelihood that the person would be
injured in such a fall,
reasonable protection against a fall must be provided—
(c) by the provision of a safe means of access to the workplace; and
(d) by the provision of secure fences, covers or other forms of safeguarding or, if
that is not reasonably practicable due to the nature of the work, by the
provision and maintenance of safe systems of work.
(3) If a person at work must gain access to a place that cannot be reached conveniently
from floor or ground level, and no appropriate means of mechanical access or fixed
stairway is available, a suitable ladder or steps must be provided.
(4) Any safeguarding provided for the purposes of subregulation (2)(d) must be kept in
good condition and must not be removed except so far as may be necessary to allow
the access or egress of any person or the shifting of materials.
(5) In determining the appropriate system of work for the purposes of
subregulation (2)(d), consideration must be given to—
(a) if a safe working platform cannot reasonably be provided, the use of a safety
harness attached to a secure structural
support (either directly or if that is not reasonably practicable, through the use
of an adequate static-line system);
(b) the use of a fall-arresting device (where appropriate);

(c) the undertaking of training in relation to the hazards that may be encounteredin the performance of the work;
(d) the provision of supervision by a competent person;
(e) the provision of assistance by another person.

As you can see from this regulation, even though no stated height is given, from the results of a risk assessment, if it is found that an injury is likely should a fall occur, then protection needs to be provided to prevent a fall from occurring.

My advice, purchase a roof workers kit and do some "safe working at heights training" I found it very usefull.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »
If I'm working off a Bronto or in a Vertical/Low Angle rescue situation then yeah, I'm all for fall arrest systems. Any other time, I just find that they are a waste of time/space.

If a roof is terrible to work on, there are some systems that do work, but they are time consuming to set up and generally for storm damage work, rather than firefighting.

If you run two ropes across a roof so that they form a cross in the middle of the roof, then tie and alpine butterfly knots on each at the point at which they cross, then connect the two ropes with a karabiner, you can use it as an anchor point, combined with prussic wraps on the ropes to each side to run short lines off that allow you to work around the roof safely.

Apart from that, you can use halligans/ladders to create safe foothold on roofs depending on the material used.

Sorry to disappoint, but, SA OHS&W Regulations, 1995. states in:

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]

As you can see from this regulation, even though no stated height is given, from the results of a risk assessment, if it is found that an injury is likely should a fall occur, then protection needs to be provided to prevent a fall from occurring.

My advice, purchase a roof workers kit and do some "safe working at heights training" I found it very usefull.

And notice how it specifies than nothing more than training people in possible hazards to be encountered needs to be 'considered'. Don't forget that there is a fair amount of leeway in terms of the Fire Service and certain OH&S issues, as we work in an inherrently dangerous workplace and we can only make it safe to a certain extent.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:24:02 PM »
I agree with your comments, as emergency service workers we are able to work outside the state OHS regulations if we are working in an emergency situation. As long as we remember to look out for ourselves and our fellow firefighters 1st no matter what task we are doing, if you assess it as being unsafe, then find a safer way of getting the task done. Control the risk, we can rarely eliminate all the risk, but we are able to reduce it down to an acceptable level.

misterteddy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:19:45 AM »

And notice how it specifies than nothing more than training people in possible hazards to be encountered needs to be 'considered'. Don't forget that there is a fair amount of leeway in terms of the Fire Service and certain OH&S issues, as we work in an inherrently dangerous workplace and we can only make it safe to a certain extent.
[/quote]

I agree with your comments, as emergency service workers we are able to work outside the state OHS regulations if we are working in an emergency situation. As long as we remember to look out for ourselves and our fellow firefighters 1st no matter what task we are doing, if you assess it as being unsafe, then find a safer way of getting the task done. Control the risk, we can rarely eliminate all the risk, but we are able to reduce it down to an acceptable level.

actually we have no extra leverage for what we do as an emergency service from the Safework SA nazis. Witness the whole Safe Offroad driving program as a response to getting a Notice of Non-Compliance from one individual's mistake (not wanting to open a whole discussion about the merit of it - just an example of being cut no slack). The rise of the Risk Assessment monster we have all been privvy to in the last 12 months - direct response to satisfy the same Authority (again, not saying its a bad thing, I actually support them - just an example). In fact, because we work in a dangerous and unpredictable environment we have to do more, not less, on risk prevention.

I've looked at Roof Workers kits and they rely on having suitable anchor points on the roof (hardly ever there unless u have a nice big solid chimmney), or a origami network from the ground. For us thats not always possible quickly. Theres some neat fall arresting devices, and some inertia reel kits that look really useful and the most promising, just trying to work out how to use them in our roles. While we're on it, does anyone use the gutter locks that are available for ladders. Yes I know we have a capable (?) fireperson footing our ladder, but when your triple extension is triple extended, I often wonder about their effectiveness as I step off to the side (if i get time amongst crapping my dacks). The gutter locks look simple to use and stop the sideways slide thing happening.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »
Just wondered what people do regards safe working at heights practices. Yes, obviously don't fall off is the top answer.....

There are a couple of categories of fall arresting devices available under the Australian Standard (AS/NZS 1891/2007), but they are not easily utilised in the sort of situations we might encounter.

Do we (or should we?) run anchor lines and safety lines? Is there a simple system that everyone can utilise without needing to do the advanced rope macrame course enabling you to abseil off the SGIC building? Is there a ladder mounted system that provides a measure of protection while you're moving to clip on to a roof mounted system?....

Having seen a few of our team on the top of some sloping, slippery, double story roofs chasing ceiling fires makes me think we need to look at it in a different way rather than relying on testosterone and the "we've always done it that way" statements. Replies that include phrases like Safework SA, heights over 60cms, banning, another course/qualification,  arent overly helpful....lets just try and find a safe solution rather than using risk avoidance as a defence

Im all for making jobs safer.. However it must be understood (and I believe it is?), that there are times where ropes and fall arrest systems just wont be practical/possible.. (Primary search gaining access to a second story from a roof, emergency/tactical ventilation, egress onto a roof in an emergency, etc)..

So as long as these OHS peep's, SafeWork etc, understand that there will be times its just "NOT Possible", to instigate such 'pleasure' as harness gear and fall arrest systems, then sure, give the SES all the Fall Arrest gear they need for storm damage and non critical roof work..

;)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
actually we have no extra leverage for what we do as an emergency service from the Safework SA nazis.

I meant leeway in terms of what we can do to create a safe working environment. Unlike other places of employment, outside of our station our 'workplace' is a variable and every changing one. There are only certain things we can put in place, within reason, to create a safe working environment.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...