Author Topic: Back to Basics...  (Read 8224 times)

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Back to Basics...
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »
Hey guys,

Lately i have noticed a lot that CFS volunteers from various groups from firefighters to Group officers are forgetting the basics...

Coming into one of the worst fire seasons in many years i just want to raise a few points.

-When responding to a reported grass or scrub fire and smoke showing do not be afraid of responding further resources...you can always stop resources if they are not required.

-If on scene and the fire is clearly not under control upgrade the job and request further resources in the first maybe few minutes on scene instead of waiting 60 minutes and announcing you have now lost the fire and it is spreading and would like some help.

-Don't just use resources from your own group, think outside the square and i hope CAD fixes this and almost abolishes group boundaries leaving it as a purely admin thing.

-I think Lofty group if anyone have the right idea knowing they are short crew during the day respond more to hopefully get a good response and when you do turn a few trucks back if they are not required.

-Give good sitreps and size up of fires and do not woffle on the radio with useless information. simple messages like the fire is not under control respond ... or we have a fire of this size that is controlled. let's everyone know what is happening, jobs lately there has been 30 mins of chit chat with no useful information except how "Fred's crops are doing" or "billy picked up the local paper today near this fire"

Time to think smarter and as a lot of people have said before you are all professional volunteers maybe it is time to take 5 and look back at the basics and acting like one.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Basics...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
dam good points bronto...maybe just maybe this is going to be the big one that CFS have been fearing 4 years now lets hope its a quiet summer all round

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:23 PM »
Agreed good points, not so sure about your examples :-), ALL HAIL SACAD!, are you ready?, are you ready?...lets get it on!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
-Don't just use resources from your own group, think outside the square and i hope CAD fixes this and almost abolishes group boundaries leaving it as a purely admin thing.

Don't get caught up thinking about turning out specific Brigades. Upgrade the job with the appropriate alarm level, or if you can't remember then just turnout "n Brigades". Unless you want a resource special called (eg: Belair Tanker, but not Belair Brigade). Don't worry about doing the math on who is closer, let the overpaid cranky slackers in comms do some real work. :P

-I think Lofty group if anyone have the right idea knowing they are short crew during the day respond more to hopefully get a good response and when you do turn a few trucks back if they are not required.

Yep, as long as people follow that all important last line. On big, bad, nasty looking days, it is more important than ever to have trucks in their areas available to respond, rather than at the local truck traffic jam.

How about some not Crew OIC/IC basics?

- Check your PPE. Not next training, not next week. But now. Go and check it. Make sure its in good condition. If it isn't, good luck getting new gear before the FDS.

- Make sure you've got all of the items of your PPE. If you don't, then order them ASAP. Still haven't got them after your purchase order? Go and buy them yourself and work out the details with CFS later. You need your PPE and you need it NOW.

- Looks like a bad day? Start drinking water. Prehydration is everything. Yeah knock off a bottle on the way to a job, but it had better not be the only fluids you've had all day.

- Get that pump started! Fire it up on the way to the job (Only if your appliance is capable of it. Goodluck with that PTO Pumper...) so that you don't waste time filtered arse ing at the job trying to get it started.

- Make sure all your trucks are ready to go. Sounds stupid I know, but if it looks like a bad day, go into the station early, check everything, check it twice. Fuel/Oil/Water/Equipment/Drinking Water/Jerry Cans/Chainsaws/Portable Pumps/Generators.

- Its no use hauling hose up hill and down dale without a hose strangler/clamp.

- Throw a couple of bottles of water into your tunic pocket.

- Keep painting a picture for your OIC. Let them know whats happening, they need to know.

- Let your pump operator know whats going on. Head. Its either fantastic or the worst thing ever. (;) Sickos) Remember hydraulics? 10kpa +/- per 1m up/down. You need decent pressure at the branch and you've already got a shitfight on your hands with the 250kpa friction loss in a 25mm hose length.

- Go in hard and knock the fire out. As we saw on Ozfire, a certain truck on a certain left flank of a certain fire on the 18th (That I believe may have also started this thread) was more than content to sit and take pictures of the left flank rather than get in a knock it out.

- The faster you get in and get the fire knocked down the sooner you go home. Oh and also the smaller the damage and impact the fire has.

- Need to make up in scrub? Use your two arms as pegs and make windmill motions to pick up hose in a figure of 8 fashion. It is stunning to see how few people know how to do this.

- Read your goddamned Field Manual.

- Don't forget: IM SAFE, LACES, 10 Standard Fire Orders, WATCHOUTS and the trumpet happy Deadman Zone.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:45:07 AM by Firefrog »
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »
- Love
- Dot
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:29:58 PM »
- Love
- Dot

No love for big wall o' text here buddy ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Darren

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »
Can I ask as one of the grumpy comms persons, can people take 30 secs to make sure there is no one else speaking before you book mobile, so many people talking over each other, its hard to not yell into the headset "CALM DOWN AND WAIT"

Those deadman zone trumpets make a great ringtone....

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:55:25 AM »

Might have to set that one up for when the missus calls...  :-D
Using a recording of the station siren at the moment.
Fun to watch the old ducks on the bus peer anxiously at the sky when someone calls...

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »
Its going to be a long hot summer and it would be nice if some of those people who are trained in ICS/AIIMS do get to do some work this summer rather than keep missing out on getting picked to be part of the team..Always remember to use local people when in a differant area from yours,stay safe and make sure you come home safe......

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 08:15:36 AM »

Might have to set that one up for when the missus calls...  :-D
Using a recording of the station siren at the moment.
Fun to watch the old ducks on the bus peer anxiously at the sky when someone calls...

I have already set up my mobile phone profile for fire calls this summer,it has Boys From The Bush as the main ringtone  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:52:01 AM »
Take an extra 5 seconds to make sure you have the correct details of the location that you are at or going to. When extra units or other services are being responded it helps if they can be told where to go (yes I know but i mean in the nice way :-D)
And for those few brigades that have a problem with this make sure everyone knows how to turn on and read that little machine in the fire truck - it makes Grid References so much easier to understand when everyone knows how to work and read the damn thing
Listen to who is in charge of your section of the fire (just because you want to cut that fence and get through there because it looks like the logical thing to do does not mean it really is the right way to go about it)
BUT also do not put yourself in unreasonable danger - if an instruction is issued about something that does not seem safe then it is okay to question it because maybe that order was issued without a full grasp of what is actually happening in your specific location
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

misterteddy

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »
hmm....tips for the summer :?

BE BOLD!......the new world order has been decreed...decisivness is IN....confusion and inability to make a decision is OUT. A Strike Team sitting on the side of the road waiting to find out where they are going and what they are doing is a Strike Team that might as well be home. If in doubt....do a NIKE and Just Do IT; and then fill the paperwork out in triplicate afterwards.

BE BRAVE!......there are no medals for sitting in staging eating sandwiches (although there may be for making them  :-P). Sooky firefighters whinging about a little smoke and some heavy hoses...stay home and knit burnover blankies for those that want to get out and get amongst it.

SHUT UP ON THE RADIO!.....if you think you have something to say on the radio...then u dont, please be quiet and go find something else to do and leave the limited airspace we have for those that KNOW they have something to say, AND how to say it. Radio conversations like ur talking over the back fence have no place on the fireground

BE HUMBLE!.....when a member of the public asks you whether they should be evacuating as your strike team rolls into their street blocking all access, resist the temptation to ask them "are you filtered kidding?"....instead encourage them to leave with all haste, then use their house as a staging area and drink there beer.....apart from that its a silly piece of advice cos we all know that being humble is incompatible with being a firefighter

BE PREPARED!....we all know the first ones to the truck get to the big one first......getting to the big one without your complete Big One Personal Response Equipment means I will be laughing at you as u burn. Stacking your toys nicely will keep mum off your back....and may just mean u get to enjoy those sandwiches that are left over once all the non-combatants have moved onto the sallies van.

BE MEDIA AWARE!.....good looking fireman doing heroic stuff win girls hearts, minds and other stuff.....doofusses on the TV without their Big One Personal Response kit fully engaged or lolling about 3 score and 10 at a campfire masquarading as the big one, looks like a bunch of doofuses....funny about that. OH...apparantly I've just been told that good looking girls doing heroic things wins hearts and stuff too.....what a gender friendly organisation we are now....go figure  :roll:

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »
- drink & eat properly during the day, otherwise youll have nothing when it comes time to work

- check your gear regularly

- never go to an upgraded fire [or any hopefully] without as many bodies as the truck can take [oer seatbelts], you'll need them

- if your not fit too, dont answer the page... you'll only endanger the your mates

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
...does CFS have the policy that if you are not involved in the fire, keep your GRN radios (base, vehicle & handheld) off the fire-ground frequencies ?

This stops dragging the talkground to other GRN towers where the tower capacity could be needed for another emergency.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
Probably the best thread I have ever read!..

Nice one BigBronto, and some nice starting points! :)

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
No probs RescueHazmat.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 10:58:13 AM »

* As the OIC keep all crew members informed of whats is expected when get to incident. nothin worse than wondering whats happening on the back.

* As the driver Be the Driver don let back seat drivers get in to your head.

* Most of all what ever u do DONT PANIC!!!!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
* Use Initiative. Rather than stand around like headless chooks. :-)   Especially at road crash rescues, stand next to the Rescue mat and youll get some work to do indefinately.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:37:47 AM by Zippy »

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
misterteddy you crack me up! Nicely put :-D

anything