Poll

Should the CFS move to 52mm Hose instead of 38mm Hose to combat issue between Storz and Wajax?

Yes
No
Duh What?

Author Topic: 52mm vs 38mm Hose  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
52mm vs 38mm Hose
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
So what do people think?

Not being able to freely connect 64mm to 38mm will cause issues i believe, so perhaps moving to a 52mm hose would be of benefit.  It would also standardise the hose between the MFS and CFS.

That then leaves only 25mm on wajax for rural applications and any 38mm canvas some brigades use for forestry applications.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 52mm vs 38mm Hose
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
38mm is just a mess to re-roll and stow....

HP line           for inital attack (Wajax)
25mm and 38mm     for Rural Delivery (Wajax)
50mm                    for Urban Delivery (Storz)
64mm 100mm 150mm  for Collecting (Storz)

;)   if that was the real world, id sleep well at night  :evil:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:42:33 PM by Zippy »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
I would also suggest that instead of excessive unneeded plumbing...have 2 64mm Storz inlets, 2 64mm Storz outlets, and provide 2x 64mm to 38mm Wajax Adaptors...meanwhile using the Hosereels as the 25mm Wajax outlets.

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
Guys

Not a 100% sure why we are actually discussing this, From what i have seen and used all the new 34s come with Stotz fittings plus adaptor to take the hose we already carry.

Now most carry 25mm for forestry, all carry 38mm and 64mm.
My thoughts 64mm for filling or suppling water to appliances. 38mm for structure fires or 25 high pressure if you have it.
25mm with waygax for forestry and deploy the NSW rural fire servie role, not these stupid forestry winders we have on our trucks.

I will teach you when i see Cam, hell of a lot easier and it can be bowled.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:43:48 AM »
Guys

Not a 100% sure why we are actually discussing this, From what i have seen and used all the new 34s come with Stotz fittings plus adaptor to take the hose we already carry.

Now most carry 25mm for forestry, all carry 38mm and 64mm.
My thoughts 64mm for filling or suppling water to appliances. 38mm for structure fires or 25 high pressure if you have it.
25mm with waygax for forestry and deploy the NSW rural fire servie role, not these stupid forestry winders we have on our trucks.

I will teach you when i see Cam, filtered of a lot easier and it can be bowled.

The issue is 64mm hose comes as a storz coupling and 38mm comes as wajax.  Also this means that the branch is suited to a 38mm hose, therefore less flow.

So in a hurry where you want to connect a 64mm hose to a 38mm hose you will need an adaptor, not a problem really unless your several lengths from the truck and you forgot to take it with you.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:42:01 AM »
Cam, Just get the group order book and place a order for a 64mm branch with the fitting you want,better still CFS should provide one 64mm branch with fittings to all  applainces rather than brigade's or groups going out and buying them....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
I don't quite see the issue. If you are using 38mm hose for structural attack, 99% of the time it should be simply run off the pump. To keep this simple and easy, just attach a single 64->38 adapter on a semi-permanent basis to one of your deliveries. If on the odd chance you need to use a line of 38 off a 64, then just attach and adaptor. It's not that hard...

It's not that often that we are using 64mm hose off the deliveries, and its even less often to see an actual 64mm branch in use.

Personally, I've never had an issue with 38mm hose. It puts out fires great, it's manuverable, flexible and generally easy to use. Why do we need to 'fix' a problem that doesnt exist, let alone 'fix' is by using bigger, heavier hose?

Dezza, have you tried rolling your 38 according to FGP 2.23 "Double roll layflat hose on the bight". Makes if far more managable and easier to stow. It can be tough with current appliance designs only allowing for a single roll on the bight, but in some cases (Like our highrise kits) it frees up a heap of space.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »
Dezza, have you tried rolling your 38 according to FGP 2.23 "Double roll layflat hose on the bight". Makes if far more managable and easier to stow. It can be tough with current appliance designs only allowing for a single roll on the bight, but in some cases (Like our highrise kits) it frees up a heap of space

kool thanks ill try that, sounds like stirlings got it pretty good with those high rise kits :)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:34:49 PM »
Dezza, have you tried rolling your 38 according to FGP 2.23 "Double roll layflat hose on the bight". Makes if far more managable and easier to stow. It can be tough with current appliance designs only allowing for a single roll on the bight, but in some cases (Like our highrise kits) it frees up a heap of space

kool thanks ill try that, sounds like stirlings got it pretty good with those high rise kits :)

Not to get off topic, but there are a few Brigades getting around with them these days - great for anywhere with internal hydrants/external attack hydrants. Didn't think they got much more complex than hose/branch in a bag? Have Stirling got anything particularly different? (for that huge High Rise Risk of theirs)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
last December Stirling's contained 2 15M 38mms a branch and a couple of keys.

I think Stirling's is mainly for their risk of multiple building complexes where the truck may not be able to get into the best spot. eg we use it at crafers primary school.