Author Topic: Paid jobs  (Read 19460 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Paid jobs
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 07:48:33 PM »
And once you start climbing the slippery pole in the private sector - same deal (except the pay is better). The world is a changed place and it will not get back to the good old days!
So the next time as a vollie and something minor has pissed you off & you decide to "vent" at the closest payed staff member, remember the crap they have put up with. And its not just CFS staff members - I class my ex regional commander as a real friend & all of the stuff you guys have mentioned he has dealt with as well. And he is a CFS vollie & ex CFS staff member, I would follow him anywhere, even through the gates of hell & yet my previous comments stand! Can't handle it then look for something else - cause it aint changin! It just sucks!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2008, 04:58:58 AM »
Can't handle it then look for something else - cause it aint changin! It just sucks!
cheers

Maybe re-word to "Not willing to put up with it any more? Then look for something else..."  Less derogatory to those who choose to pull the plug.

Sad thing is that by penny pinching, the govt actually costs the community extra in
recruitment & training costs.  Plus the work that actually doesn't get done at all
because the organisation is not resourced to do it. Plus the work that is done badly -
eg prohibitive or restrictive operating policies because they are cheaper than training
& supervision. (still grumpy, but less so than the other day.)

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2008, 06:43:22 AM »
Yep fair call Alan wasn't meant to be derogatory to those who choose to leave the service. Thanks for the correction
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

uniden

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Always on call?? It there a rostering system for after hours??

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
They might be off duty, but there phone might still ring....is what i think he's saying.

theres an on-call system...but looks like its tight rotation circle...rarely "off-call".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:12:35 PM by Zippy »

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »

Hi there all

Its already been said prior in the post.........

With the money there offering there not going to get someone there for the long haul or with a alot of experience.....

For those whom dont already know me, I work in the private sector and our starting package is around the 20-30k highter plus and far less responsibility. 

I have the greatest respect for the service as we have some great people within but were lossing them rapid pace - and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out why...........

Wayne
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:31:17 AM by firefighter_sa »
Wayne Ellard

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2008, 06:48:13 PM »
I learnt this week that sadly Amanda has left Region 1 also :-o
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2008, 06:58:09 AM »
Mandy will be missed so do these staff get a exit interview so as to find out why they leave the service?? There where a number of paid CFS jobs in the local paper here this week for the Planning officer in this region and others across the state...

misterteddy

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »
and here is just another little twist of the knife....

advertised in todays Public service vacancy site...

ASO5 Operations Officer for the SES Northern Region Pay $61k-$68k

CFS L3 Regional Operations PPlanning Officer $59k - $62k

It seems we cant even get parity with our fanta'd bretheren....let alone the blue shirts. Given that 2 of the current vacancies for Ops Planning types are Region 1 and 2....the HIGHEST profile areas of the state with the HIGHEST risk in the state....the deal is appalling.

Maybe its time to bite the big one and trade a new truck or two for a major salary review - those Brigades with 30 callas a year or so might be able to just cope for another 12 months

Even the monkeys will start leaving soon

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »
the CFS position clearly requires a wage of over $80k, meanwhile SES probably, $50k?   A heap more responsibility under a Level 3 Operations planning staff member in CFS than the SES bloke.

Afterall...the Region 6 Postion...following the Wangary fires you would expect significant investment in the Operations/Planning roles in Region 6 HQ.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:21:56 PM by Zippy »

Offline piriejono

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »
The SES Operations officer is only advertised due to the fact that someone has been acting in that position for the last 18 months. The Position = 2IC for the SES north region based here in Port Pirie.

Thanks,

Jono Taylor
North Region Operational Co-Ordination Unit
Port Pirie
Jonathon Taylor
Pt Pirie SES
DUM North Operational Co-Ordanation Unit
Port Pirie SA

misterteddy

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
so they deputise for the Region Commander.....no different to the CFS role, its a component of the J&P

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 06:49:36 PM »
I would suggest that CFS & SES paid jobs are different, thus in a different PSA scale.

Unless you know both job descriptions and requirements (which I don't) then just accept that someone else has already done the evaluation of the job specifications.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2008, 07:30:53 AM »
Moral of the story is pay peanuts and you get monkeys :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Those advertised salaries would be just the basic wage??

The earned wage would be higher once allowances paid (making the assumption that there are allowances paid for things like being on-call, excess hours worked etc etc

Just need to make sure that you compare similar figures for all people.

However, looking at the grades on offer, I believe they are definitely low for the tasks performed and responsibilities carried, I sure as hell know that I would not be applying for a paid role with grades (and hence salaries) like that!
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

misterteddy

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »
I would suggest that CFS & SES paid jobs are different, thus in a different PSA scale.

Unless you know both job descriptions and requirements (which I don't) then just accept that someone else has already done the evaluation of the job specifications.

hey you might be on to something there....the SES job is rated as an ASO 5 (Admin Support Officer) - obviously someone DID evaluate their role  :evil:

</tic>