Author Topic: SAAS Vollys - No helmets - No vests  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Rampart

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
SAAS Vollys - No helmets - No vests
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
I heard form a SAAS volly friend there is a problem brewing with SAAS country vollys.

It seems SAAS has issued EVERY ONE of their Paramedics, Managers, even ATS (non emergency transport) officers with new Green Resuce Hardhats and All these staff have been issued with personal reflecitve tabbards/vests (especially as they are wearing king gee blue at the momment)

Volly ambos who make up over half the SAAS workfocrce however are stillusing $6 industrial hard hats.... they may get 3 green hardhats to SHARE in the future (3 hats per station!) and they current share 3 vests per ambulance.

You would think after the uniform allergy they are experiencing the last thing they would do is make staff share sweaty vests and hardhats.... My friend cant wear one of the 3 vest because they are not in his size (about 7 different sizes)

Seeing as volly crews dont get paid but the patients they collect get charged the same amount as if a paid paramedic crew picked them up - that SAAS and the government could issue volly staff appropriate PPE....

Sure in CFS we share reflective vests but they are worn over turn out coats... ambos wear their vest up close to sweaty shirts....

Also in a disaster "the big one" wouldnt you want all available staff to respond in uniform with basic PPE (ie. helmet)......>>>>>>>>> :?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:18:14 AM by Rampart »

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SAAS Vollys - No helmets - No vests
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
Media get hold of it?
Unless the vollies do a sad face interview and point the finger at a standing in government politician, they havent got a chance.
Seems like at the moment US elections , Bali bombers execution, River Murray and every other assorted issue gets a run, not some vollies that are not properly kitted out. Cynical? maybe!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Robert

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »
Rampart.... Tell your SAAS volley friend.... to take it up through the chain of command, VTL, RTL, Area manager etc. The last few jobs I have done with vols, they have all had there own gear.  :? This sounds like a local issue, not state wide..
If their is a real OHS risk file a report or call AIMs.... don't just post on here.....

misterteddy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
agree comp-letely...if i dont fit or you dont have one...then order it...if the system say no then ring Ray - he's always happy to hear when his system is dumb  :evil:

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:20 AM »
Whats wrong with the white hard hats? Dont they look cool enough?
Still do the job perfectly and meet the standard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:45:10 PM »
...and cost $6 each as opposed to $130 +

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »
Whats wrong with the white hard hats? Dont they look cool enough?
Still do the job perfectly and meet the standard...

Same issue for different colour helmets in the other services, including CFS. Easy identification of the person in a crowded area.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
...and cost $6 each as opposed to $130 +

but if they are a 'rescue' helmet they wrap around your ears & lower head, thus more protection rather than a builders helmet. Or have I got the helmet design wrong given I have not seen one...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

misterteddy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »
the helmet supplied by SAAS is the Pacific "Rescue" style Helmet, same I assume as the SES, even has a dinky nape flap and LED headlight (at last someone has worked out u cant hold a torch and treat people in an upside down car at night)

They are supplying 3 helmets per vehicle in my end of the world. If you have a boof head, or other issues, then maybe u could ask for ur own....otherwise for the amount of times u wear them, then they are easily washed and dried in between jobs.

Offline Rampart

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »
Misterteddy

yes they are alocating 3 hard hats to each volly car...... but you think after the green uniform debarcal they (SAAS) would have learnt their lesson!

Uniforms should not be shared! for infection control issues alone...... SAAS issue all their career officers including the non emergency crews 9who rarely is ever respond to emergencies let alone rescues) with their own personal reflective vests and hard hats...

its just SAAS shafting their vollys agains --- why should they have to wear a hard hat that some one else has worn or a sweaty vest.
Either every SAAS staff member paid and unpaid gets personal issue or they should make everyone share!

poor country cousins again

misterteddy

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »
rampart......perfect circumstances, perfect world I agree with you. But honestly, theres much more important things in this world IMHO for SAAS to spend their cash on right now.

If you think you are being so hardly done by....then maybe u should go try working in another of the emergency services as a volunteer.....we all share items of "protective" clothing (as opposed to uniform)....CFS and SES Rescue crews share gloves, glasses, tabards all the time. MFS crews share tabards....why are you so special? Yes I know that the nasty career boys and girls seem to get all the good toys (but then they do work 48 hrs in 4 days, the majority of it on the road,  which is more than your average volley does in several months....build a bridge....or as they say... the exit door is never locked.

U might also care to remember the next time u fill in your monthly expense forms for your reimbursement $$$ for attending the station, for doing a case and all the other nice things that SAAS very kindly pays , I'm sorry, reimburses  you for....that you actually get a whole shitload better deal than every other volunteer does in this state....so maybe just whine a little quieter next time could you.

Oh and yes....please dont think you're being taken to task by a career person.....I'm not...I'm a Vol like you...or....maybe not
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:18:50 PM by misterteddy »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
Police also share things like hard hats, tabards, rain coats.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
Can the raincoats be bought personally?

I know a couple of mates who have a raincoat- (not shared).

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
Misterteddy - not sure which SES units u are referring too, but the two I was a member of & the many I have trained people in all equipment except vest were personal issue so no sharing. And with the new style uniforms there was no need to wear vests unless your were an incident commander or some such thing.
What Rampart is saying is quite correct - there are very good reasons not to share items of PPE/PPC.
Rampart, the one thing I have noticed however is from all the jobs I attended with SAAS can't ever remember seeing any ambo wear a helmet!
Finally the costs involved would be stuff all, and for reasons mentioned above if a SAAS member was to refuse to wear a shared helmet & then sustain a serious head injury I don't think the management of SAAS would be totally absolved in any prosecution by SAFEWORK SA. Would be a lot better just to issue everyone a helmet & vest don't you think?
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Rampart

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:21 AM »
mmmmmm..... not a whine as such just some comments and observations !

Further comments to support my position

1) If yor a patient and you are treated and transported by a SAAS volly cew you pay the same $$$$ just as you wold if a career SAAS crew did the job.... however SAAS does not pay vollys a wage and so there is a HUGE surplus in contry areas. nfortunately some managers and team leaders till run their SAAS country teams like they are still St John divisions needing to do chook rafles!  I know a lot of SAAS teams that issues rain coats to every volly while some just buy a few and share!..... there is money to buy PPE for ALL volunteers (for the work they do ALL organisation's vollys deserve PPE).

2) Im just asking for equity! if every volly didnt need a personal hard hat, reflective vest and raincoat then every career guy/gal doesnt need one either!.....

3) In fact I should be using the term voly any more. As per legisaltion recently changed the term in SAAS is Paid or Non Paid staff now!

4) You would think SAAS wold want EVERY operational staff member to have such PPE to respond in the event of a disaster or the BIG ONE!?!?!...... as a minimum I think every SAAS staff member(Paid or unpaid) should be able to respond to suc a incidents off duty equiped with as a minimum :  ID Card and Lanyard, Reflective Vest and Hardhat???

5) The non issue of PPE goes against the SAAS and Department of Health OHS policy?

and to answer your questions:   Former SAAS volly (non paid), Current SAAS career (Paid),,,, current CFS volly.

Stay safe  (safer with PPE!)