Author Topic: moving from the uk  (Read 8307 times)

Offline justuk

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
moving from the uk
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »
Hello gents

I am looking to move over to Australia to join my family, I would like to stay in my chosen career in the fire service but I am struggling to get beyond the first hurdle to get going. I am currently serving as a Station Officer on a UK regional airport, I have 20 years experience with the usual qualifications. Does anyone have any idea where the best place to start looking is??? My family all live in Adelaide, so around that area would be good.

Thanks guys for any help.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: moving from the uk
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »
G'day,

Do you have your Airport / (which ever authority the British use for their Aviation qualifications) CAA? - aviation Fire Fighting ticket? This being fairly Universal you might be in a stedfast position with some of the Airport Services. Probably best to have a look:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/careers/arff/default.asp - Adelaide Airport
http://www.transfieldservices.com/page/Industry_Sectors/Property_and_Facilities_Management/Defence - Look under careers. Transfield have the contract run the Fire Service at the RAAF Airbase at Edinburgh, in Adelaide.

Offline justuk

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »
Hi

I have the CAA/ICAO firefighters and Incident Command and Control Officers ticket. Thanks for the links they are a great help, I had been told about Edinburgh but didn't know who employed the Fire Crews, so that one is of great interest.

On a different note, I have just flown back from Adelaide where I was on a fact finding mission- A note to all MFS and CFS crews, I watched the news and saw the conditions you all faced when dealing with the bush fires, it was very humbling to watch, as you placed yourselves in very difficult and demanding situations, may you return to your family and friends safe.

uniden

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:32:20 AM »
RAAF Edinburgh fire services are handled by a contractor called Transfield.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »
As an aviation FF - have you fought any fires?

If Yes - you would probably have more experience than the ASA ones in Adelaide - so a definite advantage!!   :-D

If No - then you'd still have an advantage over the general Joe BLoggs who apply given your background!

having said that however - they don't turn over many staff.....

Offline justuk

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:33:23 AM »
Thanks for replies guys, they have been a help.

As for the fighting fires....mmmmmm.....yeah we get a few :-D just enough to keep us busy.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »
more than can be said for some of the guys here....

Adelaide airport there is a good proportion of them who've never fought a fire in anger.....

anything