Author Topic: New marine rescue service in NSW  (Read 2632 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
New marine rescue service in NSW
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
Thought some of you guys may be interested in this-
NSW to merge marine rescue services
Posted 38 minutes ago

The New South Wales Government is forming a new volunteer marine rescue organisation and inviting members of the three existing rescue groups to join.

A report this year found friction between the three volunteer groups had a detrimental effect on boating safety.

The Ports and Waterways Minister, Joe Tripodi, says most members are being supportive.

"There is a lot of love that has been invested by the three rescue groups in their existing organisations, but there has been a general understanding that this needs to occur," he said.

Ken McManus from the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol says there will be some sadness, but he is willing to make changes.

"As much as we don't like to, we will give up our name and troll our assets into a new organisation," he said.

The new organisation is called NSW Marine Rescue.
Source ABC News
There may be a lesson in this for other organisations who can't get along :wink:
There may be other changes to volunteer ESO's as well.
cheers

Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New marine rescue service in NSW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
Sounds good,   it might be sad for the 3 respective services, but im sure it will improve things for the people they protect and rescue.  A service/name can change, but the task does not.

Like the EFS > CFS, etc change,  i bet you somethings gonna happen in the short-medium term future in regards to the Fire & Rescue Branch of SA's emergency services.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New marine rescue service in NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
I wonder how much admin overhead will be saved in the merger ? Given they are all volunteers, not much in costs I would expect.

In SA, I understand all Marine rescue organisation report via SES to SAFECOM to SA Government.

So other than a name change for Surf Life Saving, Coast Guard, Sea Rescue, SES, etc.... I am not sure it would achieve much if the SA Government tried the same here.

A name for an organisation can mean a lot when you raising funds, marketing & equipment. Look at Surf Life Saving & the corporate sponsorship they have.

CFS have alot of recognition amongst the public of SA has an organisation with authority. A name change can mean alot.

** my personal opinion only **
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything