Author Topic: Ship Fire in the late 80's  (Read 4960 times)

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Ship Fire in the late 80's
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:23:20 PM »
Does anyone remember the ship (i think wheat ship)fire at Port Adelaide in I about 1989.
For about 3 weeks the CFS did Change of quarters to MFS stations.
I remember seeing the following brigades around town and other stations
Belair
Blackwood
Burnside
Eden Hills
Happy Valley
Morphett Vale
Oakbank-Balhannah
Stirling
I think there was a heap more

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Fire in the late 80's
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 08:40:20 PM »
i remember hearing about it.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 10:00:23 PM »
Yes even Mt Barker got a guernsey as well as others like salisbury, tea tree gully ,athelstone and the like. I wasnt BA then so I didnt get a gig unfortunately. Would have been good to miss some of school for it.

PF_

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 10:14:22 PM »
What happened?  Was there a huge ship fire that required many MFS appliances to attend?

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:05:32 AM »
I have sections of it on video from the burnside CFS video and have seen TV footage....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »
To show my age now, I was there at a ship-fire incident. At that time SES had a Welfare section which provided catering to other services. So majority of Metro SES Units provided meals, etc within a warf shed to the incident teams.

The ship had a 'self ignition' smoldering fire deep within the hold (I think sheep feed pellets) and was berthed in Port Adelaide.

From memory the tactic was to seal the hold and flood the hold from the bottom with CO2. So pipes were installed from trucks on the warf to the bottom of the hold. Temperature sensors were installed at different levels in the hold to monitor the hot spots and how far the CO2 level was.

Trucks of CO2 were bought from Mt Gambier because Adelaide supplies were run out.

At the beginning of each SES Catering shift we were briefed on how much higher the CO2 level was within the hold and the danger of explosion if the fire self-combusted to a higher level.

After two weeks plus, SES was pulled out from the Welfare commitment. This was one of the last major welfare operations that SES did. I believe arguments occurred about money and the appropriateness of using volunteers for long-term Welfare operations.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 01:06:35 PM »
huh, i never knew about it!

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 05:40:03 PM »
where you born then probie??????

probie_boy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »
just barely! hadn't heard about it afterwards though either.

first things i remember like that are the heathfield fires and the caddies golf club fire at belair.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 04:07:11 PM »
Does anyone remember the ship (i think wheat ship)fire at Port Adelaide in I about 1989.
For about 3 weeks the CFS did Change of quarters to MFS stations.
I remember seeing the following brigades around town and other stations
Belair
Blackwood
Burnside
Eden Hills
Happy Valley
Morphett Vale
Oakbank-Balhannah
Stirling
I think there was a heap more

Hahndorf also did a stint down there and this was what started the whole EMA ethos :-D
Images are copyright

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »
The incident was belived to have been caused by spontaneous combustion, in feed pellets. The incident was two fold, first the initial fire fighting to try and smother the smoultering fire and secondly the fire fight after the exlosion that injured a number of fire fighters and the ships crew - from memory.

CFS crews were regulary changed as the same appliances did stints of up to four days from memory, running to all of the normal jobs that MFS would have.

Nice to see the change of quarters (CoQ) principles are still there - the big difference today is that we are far better trained and equiped than we were then and CoQ isn't such a big deal - it just happenms
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »
Hey , I did a stint in Adelaide and Northfield during this incident, went to a brothel fire just off of West Terrace, the things you see :-o
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »
You are right oz fire - there was a smouldering fire, plus an explosion, which did injure fire -fighters....one of the Station Officers (I think) - known as Bart (which was short for his surname from memory) suffered quite bad burns.

Even I got to play change of quarters,(in another brigade's appliance!) - and it would have been either late 1988 or early to mid 1989.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

anything