Author Topic: Larger Output Non PTO Pumps  (Read 15003 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Larger Output Non PTO Pumps
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:02:34 AM »
For brigades out there who require a higher capacity pump than a standard 34P but still want a rural capable truck is it possible to buld a 34P with say a 3000lp/m pump and 4 in 4 out plumbing?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Larger Output Non PTO Pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
interesting idea, wouldn't that mean you have to have 2 very large engines on the truck though?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:18:52 AM »
Unfortunately i think it should just be an option...forfeit running fire capability for a larger pumping capacity.

the pump motors on 34P's are big enough as it is.

Would this configuration work.

3x 64 collectors                                                    Storz
2x 64 Deliverys (side of appliance below hosereel 1 each side)      Storz
2x 38 Deliverys (side of appliance below hosereel 1 each side)      Wajax
2x 25 Deliverys connected to a Aux Pump Accessible from Crew Deck.  Wajax
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:22:39 AM by Zippy »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Sorry that was part of my question, so the current pump motors will not run a larger capacity pump?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »
I Bet you it could,  Want Ear Muffs??? Or a nice silent Izuzu or Hino Truck engine ticking over.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:41 AM »
Ha ha of course Zippy i would rather that but can hear CFS in the background screaming about cost  :evil:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:28:55 AM »
Cost vs OHS??? i thought those two words are like negative + negative = Postive!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »
mmm whats OH&S

:-D :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:41:28 AM »
I remember seeing a Moomba Gas appliance about 10 years ago which came out with a 3000 or 4000 litre tank, and a stand alone 1000 gpm pump which could drive a large roof top monitor. It had a 6 cyl turbo diesel engine for the pump. Very loud from memory...
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »
Cheers james, am just curious. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
For brigades out there who require a higher capacity pump than a standard 34P but still want a rural capable truck is it possible to buld a 34P with say a 3000lp/m pump and 4 in 4 out plumbing?

The only way I think this would be possible would be to either use a PTO pump and sacrifice your pump and roll capabilities or install a small aux pump to feed lines on the crew deck. I assume that the reason you would want higher volume and 4in 4 out would be for your urban risks? It would depend on your area as well, for example in my local area, our rural risks are basically tackled from a stationary point, make up, move, deploy, etc etc. This is far different than if you were from running grass fire country.

If you were happy to have pump and roll in first gear and only about 800-900kpa, then go with a PTO pump with pump and roll capabilities.

Would this configuration work.

3x 64 collectors                                                    Storz
2x 64 Deliverys (side of appliance below hosereel 1 each side)      Storz
2x 38 Deliverys (side of appliance below hosereel 1 each side)      Wajax
2x 25 Deliverys connected to a Aux Pump Accessible from Crew Deck.  Wajax

Just a couple of problems with this:
Why only 3 64mm collectors and 2 64mm deliveries? You can't boost anything larger than a 2in 2out system.

Why would you bother having the specific 38mm deliveries when you can achieve the same setup with 4 64mm collectors, 4 64mm deliveries + 38mm adaptors? This setup allows you to run either 38mm OR 64mm off the pump without restricting the pumps ability to do anything.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:32:10 PM by 6739264 »
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 01:16:24 PM »
numbers....to avoid adaptors ;)

so in theory you could run  2  38mm Deliverys.....and 2 64mm delievers   from 3 64mm collectors (pressure/volume staged pump)

but ill fold and agree with your 2 64mm collectors...

I found the dedicated 38mm Wajax Delivery on the new 34 to be ingenius because its a pain to get the adaptors out in a hurry.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:31:46 PM »
numbers....to avoid adaptors ;)

so in theory you could run  2  38mm Deliverys.....and 2 64mm delievers   from 3 64mm collectors (pressure/volume staged pump)

but ill fold and agree with your 2 64mm collectors...

I found the dedicated 38mm Wajax Delivery on the new 34 to be ingenius because its a pain to get the adaptors out in a hurry.

So you're more than happy to cripple a pumps abilities because you're too lazy to put an adaptor on. 10 points to you sir!

I'll lay this out really simple. How about you leave the 38mm adaptor CONNECTED to the 64mm deliveries, so that in time critical hose laying eg: House fires, you can get to work 10 seconds faster, but if you need to use a booster, you simply pop the adaptor off and connect your line of 64mm.

Using adaptors allows far better usage of your pump. If they are hard to attach, lube them with graphite, get bigger muscles, or use coupling spanners.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
So you're more than happy to cripple a pumps abilities because you're too lazy to put an adaptor on. 10 points to you sir!

No, im more than happy to have additional outlets to what is already provided ;)

and im only listening to a higher rank that you only need 1 or 2 collectors...meanwhile have whatever you want for delievers   :|
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:30:21 PM by Zippy »

Darren

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32:34 PM »
Ok, can never have enough inlets, you can only pump out as much as you can get in !

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
Al,the only way to really know is to ask those that make these appliances,you could contact those at SEM or Varley Now I am not 100% sure but Varley have just built a small type two pumper that is to replace the old type two pumpers that are in country towns for CFA....You might find some information on the varley or CFA website....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
No, im more than happy to have additional outlets to what is already provided ;)

and im only listening to a higher rank that you only need 1 or 2 collectors...meanwhile have whatever you want for delievers   :|

Yes, I understand that having two more deliveries is a good thing, but why on earth wouldn't you want these to be 64mm, to give you the ability to use all 4 deliveries with 64mm hose if need be? There is no reason at all to have a 38mm delivery coming straight off the pump. Its all about that ability to adapt.

As for the number of collectors, do the math, its super simple. You need to be able to supply what ever you pumping out. The only reason I prefer to see the use of an even number, 2/4/6 collectors and delieveries is that for most pumping applications (Relay pumping, Boosting etc) you use an even number of deliveries and collectors. Having an odd number such as 3, is going to cause havoc if you need to boost a 4in system.

I understand that people see booster systems and the like as something unique and special, and something that they will never see or use, but if you have a booster in your area, you should have a truck that is capable of operating one. If you have a pump that can work at 3000lpm, then why not give it the ability to fully use its pumping capacity?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »
Al,the only way to really know is to ask those that make these appliances,you could contact those at SEM or Varley Now I am not 100% sure but Varley have just built a small type two pumper that is to replace the old type two pumpers that are in country towns for CFA....You might find some information on the varley or CFA website....

Thanks bill i'm curious about it but not that curious cheers though.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline whiteknight

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »
Take a look at the CFA's new Hino Medium Pumper Tanker that has been trialled and is just going into service.. GAAM Mk450 pump with own engine, 3000 lpm @ 700 kpa, 2200 lpm @ 1000 kpa, 4 x 64mm deliveries (2 each side), 1 x 100mm hard suction collector and 2 x 64mm collectors. (A wye adapter can also be fitted to the 100mm hard suction collector with a further 2 x 64mm collectors.)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
the pump's on the new varley appliances seem fine, but theres still a hint of restrictive plumbing....

Offline whiteknight

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
the pump's on the new varley appliances seem fine, but theres still a hint of restrictive plumbing....

Varley only build some of the CFA's current 3.4C appliances, the rest are built by SEM. The Medium Pumper Tankers referred to are a different vehicle and are built by SEM only.

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
Quick question, how big are the aux pumps on the MFS pumpers?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »

Varley only build some of the CFA's current 3.4C appliances, the rest are built by SEM. The Medium Pumper Tankers referred to are a different vehicle and are built by SEM only.

i was talking about CFS  2007/2008 Varley built appliances with  MK450's...

restrictive plumbing seems common place in CFS tho...but its getting better.

combine a SEM with some of Varleys fine work might get a definately good build!

uniden

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »

They dont generally have them.

Darren

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 04:52:45 AM »

The only one's that have aux pumps are the ROSA's.

anything