Author Topic: Big ideas!  (Read 15723 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Big ideas!
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »
At the risk of starting some meaningful discussion, are there any interesting ideas/procedures/bits and pieces that people have seen used around the place or at their station and would be willing to share? I know that some are only to going applicable to certain areas/brigades, but I'm sure most of you can work through that and not get hung up on things like "That doesn't work in rural areas". If it works for someone somewhere, then thats good enough to be here.

So, to get the ball rolling:

The Mt. Barker rostering system. I like the fact that there is a consious effort made to ensure that there is enough correctly trained crew on trucks during certain hours. That and the fact they have made a rostering system work with stubborn people who are 'just volunteers'.

I also ran into a crew accountability system somewhere... I forget where, but it was basically snap hooks with nametags on helmets, with buckets next to the door. As you get on truck, tag goes into bucket, thus the everyone knows who is on the truck. It's a little better than trying to guess cars/gear hooks.

To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: Big ideas!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »

I also ran into a crew accountability system somewhere... I forget where, but it was basically snap hooks with nametags on helmets, with buckets next to the door. As you get on truck, tag goes into bucket, thus the everyone knows who is on the truck. It's a little better than trying to guess cars/gear hooks.

We have one of these but being a board behind the trucks wtih all FF's keytags on one side, and 2 other parts for Not Avail and Non Active, and at the bottom are two places where tags can be put for 24P/34
Seems to work well as long as theres constant vigilance to get people in the habit.

We also have 2 foam nozzles for the sidelines of our appliance, they are great for mopping up and leave a much better foam layer on .1-.5% mix than normal sideline branches, have not seen these in use on very many trucks.

Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:00 PM »
I have seen this used in Surf Life saving & scouting camping trailers, but not in other emergency services.

Bicycle inner tubes stretched over the equipment they have loaded on roof racks and trailers. The inner tubes loop over one end, stretched and are attached to a strap on the other end.

Quick, safe, firm hold, does not damage the equipment (surf ski's are expensive) and they are free from your local bike shop because the tube cannot hold air from a puncture.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
One of the members of my brigade built a hose winding handle....slides under the tray of the standard 24, and 14, is capable of winding 25mm, 38 mm & 64 mm hose on the same handle, and enables the brigade to wind up layflat hoses to a dutch roll more quickly and more comfortably than on the ground.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
Name keytag board for all members, Officers being yellow, firefighters being green, cadets being white, below the keyboard the appliance board, place your coloured nametag on the appliance your riding.
Softpack drinks bag stored in the fridge fully stocked, bells drop grab the bag from the fridge, grag 4 frozen water bottles from the freezer put em in the soft pack and your gone.
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:23:38 AM »
Softpack drinks bag stored in the fridge fully stocked, bells drop grab the bag from the fridge, grag 4 frozen water bottles from the freezer put em in the soft pack and your gone.
We've got the same concept, 3 bags in the fridge in the PPE area, carry 12-15 bottles, enough to carry you over till the fridge on the truck gets cold.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 06:25:37 AM »
One of the members of my brigade built a hose winding handle....slides under the tray of the standard 24, and 14, is capable of winding 25mm, 38 mm & 64 mm hose on the same handle, and enables the brigade to wind up layflat hoses to a dutch roll more quickly and more comfortably than on the ground.

Pip

Got a pic you can post?, have been looking at that type of thing for our trucks.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »
I have seen this used in Surf Life saving & scouting camping trailers, but not in other emergency services.

Bicycle inner tubes stretched over the equipment they have loaded on roof racks and trailers. The inner tubes loop over one end, stretched and are attached to a strap on the other end.

Quick, safe, firm hold, does not damage the equipment (surf ski's are expensive) and they are free from your local bike shop because the tube cannot hold air from a puncture.

Car tyre inner tubes are handy for that to. Cut them into segments, and use them as big rubber bands to hold your rolled 25mm together. not sure if this is common outside of my brigade.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
We use inner tubes to hold our layflat together
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »

Pip

our entire group has somethin similar tot his..its gr8 isn it

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
yep my brigade also use innertubes....seems to be a common thing.

25mm Layflat, Cross the line while rolling it (with a hose winder) every 3 metres to bind the double rolls together.  Achieve a better Bowl each time.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:24:10 PM »
25mm lay-flat stowed in canvas bags with shoulder straps for hands-free carrying into the scrub. 2 lengths per bag.  Especially useful when long-lining, & double as carry bags for drinking water & etc.  Side pocket on #1 bag has hose clamp.

LED torches replacing MagLights as they die. Similar price for a much longer lasting light. Once they are done, we may do same for Dolphins.

Cheap-ish LED torches on each member's helmet - fixes OH&S issue of moving around in the dark & leaves both hands free to work. People who want to spend much more for a 'proper' helmet torch are welcome to do so...

Hose-winders.  Yeah.  Can't remember when I last rolled a hose by hand.

Hey Numbers... did I read you correctly - "...for the sidelines of our appliance, they are great for mopping up..." ?  :-o  This implies you folks don't dismount to mop up. Please say it isn't so.. !!!

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 04:00:04 PM »
Hey Numbers... did I read you correctly - "...for the sidelines of our appliance, they are great for mopping up..." ?  :-o  This implies you folks don't dismount to mop up. Please say it isn't so.. !!!

Uh.. you read Alan correctly, but misinterprted I think. I believe he means side mounted hose reels, not the deck mounted, crew protection lines:

We also have 2 foam nozzles for the sidelines of our appliance, they are great for mopping up and leave a much better foam layer on .1-.5% mix than normal sideline branches, have not seen these in use on very many trucks.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

Pip

Got a pic you can post?, have been looking at that type of thing for our trucks.

As requested, pic of hose winder on a 14 appliance, and being used on a 24....

To add them to your appliance, a CFS "Form 3" ( I think!) is all that is required to be submitted.

Within my brigade, we would not go back to rolling hoses on the ground!!

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
yup fully reccomended..we just welded ours on i think.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 07:11:44 AM »

Uh.. you read Alan correctly, but misinterprted I think. I believe he means side mounted hose reels, not the deck mounted, crew protection lines:

[/quote]

Yep misinterpreted, they have wajax fittings and are stowed in a locker for use on the 60m sidelines.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline senti@nt

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 01:08:43 PM »
Cheap-ish LED torches on each member's helmet - fixes OH&S issue of moving around in the dark & leaves both hands free to work. People who want to spend much more for a 'proper' helmet torch are welcome to do so...

What torches have you been fitting?  I've been looking for something a little cheaper than the UKE 4AA eLED and mount for my wildfire helmet.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »

What torches have you been fitting?  I've been looking for something a little cheaper than the UKE 4AA eLED and mount for my wildfire helmet.

i have a LED energizer miners light on my helmet its awsum..gives ya a spot light flood and a red beam of light.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »

StreamLight approx $25 - $30  3x AAA

totally different class of light to the UKE4AA
more like cheap-as-chips by comparison

If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the mount for your rural helmet & transfer
your UKE4AA between them as needed.

The Streamlights are merely a cheap(ish) way to overcome a HS&E problem.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 06:07:48 AM »
You could also do a few other things - mounting right-angle torch on your turnout coat or dropping the use of your rural helmets all together (if your brigade workload is suited to it).

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 07:07:36 AM »
You could also do a few other things - mounting right-angle torch on your turnout coat or dropping the use of your rural helmets all together (if your brigade workload is suited to it).

Yeah, Structural helmets indefinately...and lets drop the name "structural"...because they definately provide more protection for every sorta job.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »
Yeah, Structural helmets indefinately...and lets drop the name "structural"...because they definately provide more protection for every sorta job.

Perhaps for your brigade, but there a are still a ton of brigades that would use their rural helmets 99% of the time, and may not even be issued with structural helmets. Rural/Structural/Rescue helmets! If only we could be personally issued the rescue lids.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »
Rescue lids can stay with SES and SA USAR....sorry numbers, not on your side this time ;)  On the other hand...SACFS getting involved with SA USAR, would be nice and interesting.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
I have both helmets and although i prefer my structual there are times when i have been very glad to have the lighter one. Some hills at Norton summit are a real bugger without ppe.

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
Toughen up princess!  :-D :lol: :-D A young strapping lad like yourself shouldn't have a problem. :wink:

anything