Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2009  (Read 45185 times)

wicky

RECRUITMENT 2009
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
Thought i would get it started. I will apply again who else is having another crack at it,

Gasman no doubt you will be in the mix.

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2009
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
I will be applying again when applications come up. Hopefully this time I am more prepared.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »
i was going to, but have recently found out that my eyes are not upto scratch. i dont wear glasses or anything but my eyes are 6/15 in one eye and 6/9 in the other. bugger!

now saving for lasic eye surgery! $5k

Monger

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
i was going to, but have recently found out that my eyes are not upto scratch. i dont wear glasses or anything but my eyes are 6/15 in one eye and 6/9 in the other. bugger!

Give it a go anyway and apply in 2009. The process will be good practise and you never know you may pass the medical.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:31:38 PM by Monger »

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »

Give it a go anyway and apply in 2009. The process will be good practise and you never know you may pass the medical.

ive been through in 2007 and did all stages prior to medical, so i know what to expect.

once they get you in for the medical, you are in, providing everything checks out. i dont want to get all the way to the medical to get knocked back for eye sight. that would be a bummer, specially if i couldnt get to that stage again in the future.

i dont think there will be any slack allowed in the medical. just like the other stages, if you dont meet the requirements, your out.

Offline MRF

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
Does anybody know when the applications might open this year. Also can anyone give me information to what to study about the aptitude test?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Have a good look at the sample questions on the MFS Website

http://www.mfs.sa.gov.au/site/join_us/fulltime_firefighters.jsp

That should give you a good idea of the sorts of questions they will ask....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
hey Wicky, I'll be there, just have to shed a few bonus kgs left over from Christmas and i will be right
I just want to help

wicky

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:27:56 AM »
That makes two of us  :-D

wicky

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
Does anyone know when the MFS will call for applicants. ?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
doubt any current firefighters would want to retire now....im gonna guess 2010.

Try CFA Career firefighting.

misterteddy

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:34:48 PM »
Does anyone know when the MFS will call for applicants. ?

next round of PAT 1s in June/July to fill 2 maybe 3 drill squads after that this year

wicky

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »

next round of PAT 1s in June/July to fill 2 maybe 3 drill squads after that this year
[/quote]

When will they start the next lot of recruitment. :-)

misterteddy

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »

When will they start the next lot of recruitment. :-)
[/quote]

it would be a fair guess to believe....sometime before June or July :|

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
All speculation,noone knows

Monger

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »

Heard a rumour that the MFS might not be losing as many numbers as they thought to retiremant due to the global economic crisis and its effects on superannuation have made people rethink their plans. This may effect the number of recruits for this year??

misterteddy

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:11:34 PM »

sorry wdnulk2no......but some people do, funny that

Offline David

• David
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
Applications for Full Time Firefighter positions will be open 9.00am on Saturday 21 February 2009. Please visit this website again on this date for further information and instructions.

From the MFS website,
 ON YOUR MARKS, GET SET, ??
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

wicky

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
Applications for Full Time Firefighter positions will be open 9.00am on Saturday 21 February 2009. Please visit this website again on this date for further information and instructions.

From the MFS website,
 ON YOUR MARKS, GET SET, ??

thanks for the heads up

Offline mikeb

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:22 AM »
hey guys, im going to apply for the first time in the 2009 recruitment, anything that i should get prepared for apart for the physical side of things as well and the HR, first aid, and computer skills? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
hey guys, im going to apply for the first time in the 2009 recruitment, anything that i should get prepared for apart for the physical side of things as well and the HR, first aid, and computer skills? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rejection :evil:...........it seems to be the thing, most applicants dont seem to get through on their 1st attempt, but as in all things persistence has its rewards!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline mikeb

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »
well that wasnt really what i was hoping for, lol. but yeah i have heard that before. however i dont want to treat this as im not going to get in, might as well still give it the 100%. Although im interested to why the majority of first attempts fail. (mainly so i dont make more mistakes than i have too)

- Is it just to see if people really want to be a part of the service by making them reapply?

- Or people mess up their applications?

cheers!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »
Typically people are poorly prepared or miss their deadlines/appointments.

Make sure you have everything you need, utilise the MFS website for example questions and explanations of the Physical aspects... but MOST of all treat it like any other job interview.

Monger

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »
well that wasnt really what i was hoping for, lol. but yeah i have heard that before. however i dont want to treat this as im not going to get in, might as well still give it the 100%. Although im interested to why the majority of first attempts fail. (mainly so i dont make more mistakes than i have too)

- Is it just to see if people really want to be a part of the service by making them reapply?

- Or people mess up their applications?

cheers!

A lot of first timers got in from the 2008 applications maybe due to the fact that they took 4 drill squads from the apps. Hard to give any tips for the aptitude and psych testing but if you get to the interview stage then a few tips are:
   Being involved in a community or volunteer group eg. lifesaving club, coaching or helping out with a sporting team or club will help.
   Make sure you read up on all the info provided on the SAMFS website, the more you can talk and provide answers at the interview the better. Have answers and examples for all the " Is firefighting for me?' questions on the website
   If you know someone in the MFS make sure you quiz them about the day to day duties of a member, if dont know anyone just go into a station and ask to speak to someone.

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »
Being involved in a community or volunteer group eg. lifesaving club, coaching or helping out with a sporting team or club will help.

Am wondering why the CFS is not mentioned? I would have thought being a volunteer protecting your community and being a member in a fire service would be close to being number one on the recruiters list?. Or is there a bit of us and them going on,does the MFS value the training and standards of the CFS?. As a memeber of the public and a home owner living in a rural area I certainly do!. Look forward to hearing comments.

Cheers