Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2009  (Read 45391 times)

Monger

Re: RECRUITMENT 2009
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
Being involved in a community or volunteer group eg. lifesaving club, coaching or helping out with a sporting team or club will help.

Am wondering why the CFS is not mentioned? I would have thought being a volunteer protecting your community and being a member in a fire service would be close to being number one on the recruiters list?. Or is there a bit of us and them going on,does the MFS value the training and standards of the CFS?. As a memeber of the public and a home owner living in a rural area I certainly do!. Look forward to hearing comments.

Cheers

Pretty sure CFS would help. Was just listing a couple of examples in my post. I am not an expert on the recruiting process just listing a few tips that i was given.

Offline Morph

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »
 Question:

When you do the PAT/1 (shuttle run), do they stop you at the requisite level 9.6 or just let everyone run on to take the highest scorers?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
Previously, stopped you.

Monger

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »
Question:

When you do the PAT/1 (shuttle run), do they stop you at the requisite level 9.6 or just let everyone run on to take the highest scorers?

Last year they stopped us at 9.6 Pretty sure it is a pass/fail test. No prizes for going above

wicky

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
yeah they stop you after 9.6 last year we were stopped part of the way through 9.7

maybe the mods can merge this thread and the new round of firefighting jobs thread. considering its about the same thing. :-D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:38:30 AM by wicky »

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
Im happy to leave it here. Its in the SAMFS section, and is based on 2009 Recruitment, which is still what is being discussed. :)

If it strays too much, PM me and we can make something happen.. ;)

Offline Morph

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 02:34:31 AM »
 'maybe the mods can merge this thread and the new round of firefighting jobs thread. considering its about the same thing.'

Im happy to leave it here. Its in the SAMFS section, and is based on 2009 Recruitment, which is still what is being discussed. :)

Thank you for illuminating those two points, RescueHazmat.

I certainly won't be straying off topic as the abuse of forums wastes everybodies' time in having to sort the 'wheat from the chaff': I'm here for facts & info, not chit chat!

On that, I got through the PAT/1 (at which they did stop us on 9.6 incidentally) and am now looking at the Firefighter Abilities Test & psychometric testing. I know better than to get too excited at this stage but I am keen to hear from anyone with good advice for this next round.

I'm looking at the Firefighter Abilities Test specifically (as I'm already familiar with psyche testing and know there is no advice or prep for those).
 I obviously have the info from the SAMFS official website and can read (so please don't duplicate) but I want to hear from real experiences of those who have been through this round of testing.

-What do you recommend?
-What prep can I do?
-What can I expect to face on the day that isn't stated in the literature?

Any useful info will be greatly received.
And good luck to anyone else going for this too :-)

PS: Having waded through the 'Recruitment 2008' forum, I gather the F.A.T is basically a new name for what was the PAT/2. Is this correct? And where can I locate the dvd that Gasman referred to?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 04:44:31 AM by Morph »

uniden

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »
Get yourself a copy of the DVD of the PAT 2 testing. Will give you a bit more knowledge,

Monger

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
'maybe the mods can merge this thread and the new round of firefighting jobs thread. considering its about the same thing.'

I certainly won't be straying off topic as the abuse of forums wastes everybodies' time in having to sort the 'wheat from the chaff': I'm here for facts & info, not chit chat!

On that, I got through the PAT/1 (at which they did stop us on 9.6 incidentally) and am now looking at the Firefighter Abilities Test & psychometric testing. I know better than to get too excited at this stage but I am keen to hear from anyone with good advice for this next round.

I'm looking at the Firefighter Abilities Test specifically (as I'm already familiar with psyche testing and know there is no advice or prep for those).
 I obviously have the info from the SAMFS official website and can read (so please don't duplicate) but I want to hear from real experiences of those who have been through this round of testing.

-What do you recommend?
-What prep can I do?

PS: Having waded through the 'Recruitment 2008' forum, I gather the F.A.T is basically a new name for what was the PAT/2. Is this correct? And where can I locate the dvd that Gasman referred to?

The dvd is available for $20(i think) from Wakefield st Station. The PAT2 is more about technique than fitness so by watching the dvd it will help you pick up any methods that may assist you. My tips would be: dont let go of guide rope during tunnel crawl and hold drums with 2 hands during the final incaptulated suit test as it is hard to get your gloved hands around the handle.

wicky

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

-What do you recommend?
-What prep can I do?

you can buy the pat 2 DVD at head office $20

Monger

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »
Was funny to see a few people turning up late to the Firefighting testing this week at Angle Park and getting rejected. How hard is it to turn up on time? Shows how serious they were about getting in. A lot of people were there a good 30-40min early.

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 10:47:43 PM »
what day were you there monger? I was there Tuesday and three people were denied entry.
I just want to help

Monger

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 06:16:17 AM »
what day were you there monger? I was there Tuesday and three people were denied entry.
Was there everyday, am in the last drill squad. We could see people turning up late and running in from where we are training and then see them come back out 5 or 10 min later.

Darren

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
Can't have been to serious then

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
anyone received confirmation of the next stage?

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Any news yet people? Is there anyone progressing further this year?
I just want to help

Monger

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »
Any news yet people? Is there anyone progressing further this year?

Have heard that a few people got notified yesterday about interviews.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
I can confirm that, going in for interview on 1st June
I just want to help

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »
got an interview next monday ! woop!

Monger

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2009, 07:08:58 PM »
got an interview next monday ! woop!

How do you feel your interview went? I know they dont give you much indication but were you happy with how it went?

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »
Hey, it was a strange/cold experience. They seemed to make an effort to give me no feedback whatsoever - avoid eye contact and just seemed happy to let me ramble on.
Therefore I found it really hard to judge whether or not I was saying the right thing.
Guess i'll find out when they post the results.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »
Course 38 graduated today and Course 39 is due out in 6 weeks.
Images are copyright

Offline MRF

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 10:20:28 AM »
Does anyone have any idea how many were still left in before the interview process started?

Monger

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how many were still left in before the interview process started?

Pretty sure they were interviewing 192 people for 18 positions this year and maybe another squad next year if there is retirements

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
didnt get through. devo