Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2009  (Read 45179 times)

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2009
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
Missed out again, going for number five next time... AAArrrgggghhh :x
I just want to help

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
Sorry to hear that mate, any clues as to why or do they leave you in the dark?

Cheers

Army_emergency_responder

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 11:22:44 PM »
Bad luck mate better luck next time have you herd when the next recruitment is best of luck tho when it does come along  :oops:

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 07:59:46 AM »
Have no idea where  i went wrong, no idea when next recruitment will be, have no idea how many are being taken this year. Starting to wonder if after five years of trying is it really worth the trouble? :|
I just want to help

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »
Have no idea where  i went wrong, no idea when next recruitment will be, have no idea how many are being taken this year. Starting to wonder if after five years of trying is it really worth the trouble? :|

Keep your chin up mate, keep applying. I know blokes who tried 6-7 times before getting through & if in your late 20s, early 30s you have plenty of time.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Turning forty this september, i think the family has had enough of the whole process.
Problem i have is my life gets put on hold for months, my business suffers and i get very frustrated. Just wish i had the right answers for them at the interview stage.
At least i have a minimum of twelve months to figure it out.
 :|
I just want to help

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
I reckon thats very piss poor if they give you no feedback at all!!!! :x, sounds like a cruel process I guess it is intentionally done this way due to the shear number of people wanting to get in, the old supply versus demand. Just turn into Arnie Schwarzenegger for next year and throw one of the interviewers over your shoulder and run around the block five times, that would be sure to impress them  :-D.

Cheers

Monger

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
Turning forty this september, i think the family has had enough of the whole process.
Problem i have is my life gets put on hold for months, my business suffers and i get very frustrated. Just wish i had the right answers for them at the interview stage.
At least i have a minimum of twelve months to figure it out.
 :|

You probably did have all the right answers but the way they do the rankings is a mystery to most. I know a lot of police get thru because they can relate all the questions to their current job. It is hard for a carpenter for example to try to compete. Tough year this year too with maybe only 18 positions available, keep trying but definitely do not put your life on hold because i believe luck plays a massive role in getting thru. Just cos you interview well doesnt mean you will be good at the hands on role that majority of job is. Keep trying maybe next year they will take 3 or 4 squads and you will have a better shot.

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
Q Does QFRS consider previous firefighter experience?
A Yes. QFRS values any previous firefighter experience that applicants possess.

Applicants with one year or more full time equivalent as a permanent firefighter or three years or more active service as a part time/ auxiliary firefighter, will receive additional points for their application.

Evidence of this experience should be included when submitting an application.

Does this also apply to the SAMFS when looking at candidates? specifically do they value CFS training/volley experience? Anyone in the know?

Cheers

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
South Australia's newest firefighters will be welcomed at a special graduation ceremony at the Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) this morning. Minister for Emergency Services, the Hon. Michael Wright and MFS Chief Officer, Grant Lupton will congratulate the 17 recruits and commend them for their hard work.
Chief Officer Lupton says while the recruits are individuals from a range of backgrounds, today they will graduate as a team. "Our recruits hail from various occupations, from shearing, teaching and horticulture to real estate, trades and policing. "While their personalities and interests may differ, our recruits have completed their training as a tight-knit group focussed on teamwork," Chief Officer Lupton says.
The recruits were selected from hundreds of applicants and faced a demanding, gruelling 14 week training course. They've encountered a daily physical training program, attended more than 100 lectures and completed tough training exercises. "Our new firefighters have gained vital skills that will assist them with responding to emergencies, extinguishing fires, mitigating the effects of hazardous materials and saving lives. "I wish our new firefighters well and encourage them to explore the different opportunities a career with the MFS has to offer, including emergency management, communications, training and community education," Chief Officer Lupton says.
Many of the graduates have a strong background in volunteer work, including the Country Fire Service (CFS), Surf Life Saving, Trees for Life, Army Reserves and umpiring.

206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
Interseting that they dont mention SES as one of the volly organisations there, maybe that is where i am going wrong..... :roll:
I just want to help

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
Interseting that they dont mention SES as one of the volly organisations there, maybe that is where i am going wrong..... :roll:

Doubt it.....................hahhaaahaahhhhaaaahhhhhaaaaaaaa ......aaaaaaaarrrr maybe :-D

No seriously keep trying :mrgreen:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
I doubt it Gasman - the fire services hardly ever acknowledge the existance of SES officially in any state. SAMFS actually works with SESSA cat 2 USAR operators(incase you didn't already know), so I doubt that is the problem - more likely too many applicants not enough spaces. As Jaff said keep trying & good luck next time :-)
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
Hey no worries, enjoying my life as a vollie as well, just wish there were a few less trees to cut up, i hate cleaning chainsaws. :-D
I just want to help

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
THE newest batch of 17 Metropolitan Fire Service recruits includes a former international squash player and a winemaker.
They have successfully completed 14 weeks of intensive practical and theory training in order to become firefighters.
Minister for Emergency Services, Michael Wright said the recruits were from all walks of life.
"The recruits have held various jobs as wine makers, geologists and medical scientists, to mechanics, engineers, bankers and personal trainers. There is even a jackaroo among the recruits," he said.

206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2009, 03:37:30 PM »
[quoteThe recruits have held various jobs as wine makers, geologists and medical scientists, to mechanics, engineers, bankers and personal trainers. There is even a jackaroo among the recruits," he said.][/quote]

A jackaroo now thats a prized recruit  :-o
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:42:34 PM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Subi

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »
I guess that shows it takes all kinds hey!

I wonder what the next squad will bring?

Subi

« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2009, 07:44:37 AM »
So, the next drill squad starts Feb.  Good luck to all of you.  Anyone here get an offer?

Subi

« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2009, 07:37:44 AM »
i was going to, but have recently found out that my eyes are not upto scratch. i dont wear glasses or anything but my eyes are 6/15 in one eye and 6/9 in the other. bugger!

now saving for lasic eye surgery! $5k

Hey Josh, have you considered Contact Lenses.  there is a product called Ortho-K (have a google).  I got measured for them yesterday.  Wear for 8 hours (while you sleep) - gives you 20/20 vision.  and for working night shift - wear them during the day - you can still see thru them 20/20, so not just a night thing.  And - way cheaper than surgery - about $1200 will cover you for more than 3 years.  (There have been previous recruits who wear glasses and/or contacts)

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
hi subi

i read that you needto have the level of vision they are after without assistance. so no contacts or glasses. this is part of the medical apparently.

Subi

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
hey guys, im going to apply for the first time in the 2009 recruitment, anything that i should get prepared for apart for the physical side of things as well and the HR, first aid, and computer skills? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rejection :evil:...........it seems to be the thing, most applicants dont seem to get through on their 1st attempt, but as in all things persistence has its rewards!

In current squad more than 75% are first time applicants.

wicky

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
how many drill squads were taken out of the last batch of applicants.?

Subi

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
how many drill squads were taken out of the last batch of applicants.?

So far 2 lots of 18.  first finished mid Dec, second one started 1st Feb 10.  We are in week 2 of 15.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »
how are you enjoying yourself bunyip?
I just want to help

Subi

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
how are you enjoying yourself bunyip?

It is a whole lot of fun, with loads of hard work thrown in.  we have spent the last 2 days out in the drill yard - HOT HOT HOT!!!!

I have never slept so well in my life.

Such a broad range of learning too.  Obviously hoses/pump etc, but add in PT (Physical Training) Polices Procedures, Team Building.  Loads of variety, and only 8 days down so far.

Instructors are great.  I can see it is going to be a great career.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:15:44 PM by Bunyip »

anything