General Discussion > Fire Fighter Training

first-aid training

(1/11) > >>

bajdas:
My last refresher course in first-aid competency was not delivered by St John's or Red Cross. I have found several companies (small & large) who now have a Registered Training Organisation status & can deliver the Senior First-Aid course.

One of the reasons the organisation went with the other company was the reduced cost.

Firstly, I believe all MFS and all SES people have the qualification. Is this still a restricted qualification to a few within each CFS brigade (excluding rescue brigades) ?

I am curious because another thread was talking about deployment of AED's & if not everyone has the qualification....then wouldn't the money be better spent in training the other members ?

Do people believe this is a good change in extra RTO's being able to deliver training courses in (eg Public Safety standard) better in the long term ?

Personally, I think it was great because the course included some extra components to match the audience needs, rather than 'from the book'.

jaff:
I hear there is a push to have a fireised version of first aid, CPR, Burns, Bites as an add on for BFF1, not a full certified course but a common fireground first aid thing!

Baxter:

--- Quote from: jaff on December 29, 2008, 04:55:35 PM ---I hear there is a push to have a fireised version of first aid, CPR, Burns, Bites as an add on for BFF1, not a full certified course but a common fireground first aid thing!

--- End quote ---

They do say a little bit of knowledge can a dangerous thing Jaff

You are so right Bajdas why is it restricted in the CFS to one member in a rural Brigade. for those who want to come to the CFS defence please read the SFEC handbook (2000) for rural brigades it is in black and white.

It may not be used every time the truck rolls or at a high rate but I know from my own experience that once work finds out that your in the CFS they believe that your the 1st aider expert. I have also heard from my own experience which sound a bit like an ad that those who have done the course have used it in their own private lives with family and friends.

AED have been included as part of the SFA course and there are case studies that have shown that AED have been able to identify a pulse where the first aider has not been able to which have lead to complications.

From memory I believe that the CFS has a an agreement with external RTO's to sub contract that (SFA) training out. We could create a hole new discussion here on RTO status of ESO's in SA if they should be or not and how many

jaff:
Your right Malleefire, they do say "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing" but they also say "Be prepared" and  "Shitt happens", so when shitt happens and you don't have the one fully accredited first aider on the appliance, hopefully someone will have done a intro to first aid and possibly be better prepared to render assistance, till futher help arrives.
Apparently the suggestion is too not replace the full First aid course, but give all new firefighters a basic introduction to the more common fireground medical emergency that we are likely to encounter.
I for one would not care if the person that is performing CPR on me doesn't have all the certified qualifications, when someone goes down and is unresponsive with no pulse they need help immediately.
If a tailored intro during BFF1 gives someone the confidence and the basic First aid skills to be of some assistance instead of being a panicked helpless onlooker its worthwhile.
Personally I think every CFS vollie should be First Aid trained, but at the moment budgetary restraints preclude it, so maybe this would help partially fill a knowledge void, until the member hopefully becomes a fully certified First Aider.

SA Firey:
Last Senior First Aid course I did was done by St Johns, and it also covered use of the AED's, and to quote the instructor "all CFS appliances will have them by end 2008" well its nearly the end of the year and I havent seen any yet!!

Most groups usually advise when there is a course running and its up to those to nominate to get on it.
It is not restricted to one member of any brigade and with the amount of rural brigades involved in strike teams from time to time, the more that you have First Aid accredited the better, in the event something happens.

With all the focus on OHS&W by CFS, I would have thought that would be a priority as well as the Safe Off Road Driver Training!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version