Author Topic: Glenelg, New Years Eve & Day 2008  (Read 5885 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Glenelg, New Years Eve & Day 2008
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:30:18 AM »
SES volunteers assisted SAAS, St John, SAPOL & Glenelg Council at the Glenelg News Year Eve celebrations. Interesting & enjoyable deployment involving 25 to 30 SES volunteers and one paid staff member.

First crews setup at 1730 on 31/12/2008 and crews left at 0400 on 01/01/2009.

Two communications centers maintained and multiple stretcher carries using rescue litters or foldup stretchers. Some volunteers were advisers to the general public and runners for all ESO & Council.

Many things learnt & a good experience.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:02:26 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Glenelg, New Years Eve & Day 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »

Some volunteers were facility security, advisers to the general public and runners for all ESO & Council.

that is very concerning!!!

thishas come up in other post but ill bring it up here to

volunteers being used as security!! this has to be illigal as i would almost put money on it that none of them are licenced am i correct,

i see this a a hugh COST saveing by the councils by getting ses and in some cases cfs to act as security , i also dont see this as a emergency situation eg crime scene protection(if it was a crime scene then police would be there) there for ses cant be exemt from the law,

under the security and investagation act all security personally must be licenced and be logged into a register for the venue or event.

Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline adelaide_medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
'security' is probably not the best way to describe what they where doing. The f/a was setup in the community centre and SES where used to ensure that only the injured where entering to enable the services to perform what they are there do.

You could call it as 're-directing' the public. At no stage did the SES ask to check ID, Physically Handle patrons nor did they have the power to remove persons from this area. If an altercation had occured SAPOL would of been notified and the persons dealt with.

I worked as part of the medical team at New Years and i have to say that SES did an excellent job in some trying conditions.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »

Some volunteers were facility security, advisers to the general public and runners for all ESO & Council.

that is very concerning!!!

thishas come up in other post but ill bring it up here to

volunteers being used as security!! this has to be illigal as i would almost put money on it that none of them are licenced am i correct,

i see this a a hugh COST saveing by the councils by getting ses and in some cases cfs to act as security , i also dont see this as a emergency situation eg crime scene protection(if it was a crime scene then police would be there) there for ses cant be exemt from the law,

under the security and investagation act all security personally must be licenced and be logged into a register for the venue or event.

WESLO had 31 security people at Glenelg & worked with SAPOL. I reiterate adelaide-medic comment, SES volunteers were specifically told at the briefing & through out the evening/morning not to be involved in anything security wise.

*add 04/01* One aspect of security, volunteers did do was security of equipment & responders at the incident scene. Equipment disappears very quickly in a crowd when the first-aiders are assessing the casualty & their back is to the stretcher with the equipment on it. So the briefing included watching the ESO equipment & ESO people.

Orange overalls make us quickly moving, visible barricades to assist give the first-aiders some space to work in at the incident in a crowd.

I understand the crew became very quick runners to the SAPOL staging area to get assistance if required.
* end add*

In fact, crews were told to wait a distance away while SAPOL handled brawls. Then assist St John or SAAS with treatment of casualties after the arrests had been made.

Thanks adelaide-medic. My wife was one of the people on the front door who was directing the public. I will pass the comemnt on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:53:49 AM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:30:08 AM »
yea to right big congratulations to anyone that volunteer their time new years eve WELL DONE!!...and to Firey9119 dont jump to conclusions ya make ya self sound so stupid

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 07:19:41 PM by Firey9119 »
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »
Maybe the initial post could have excluded the word "security"?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »
Maybe the initial post could have excluded the word "security"?

....I have now edited it out....b#*@y hell !!!
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:23:12 AM »
FIREY 9119 GET A LIFE!!! gosh

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »
Be calm Andrew be calm :-D Well done by the way
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
Be calm Andrew be calm :-D Well done by the way

No issues on my part....just a lesson in how one word can be interpreted in so many different ways...just depends your view on life & current life experiences.
Andrew Macmichael

anything