General Discussion > Fire Fighter Training

FW: What is a "combat ready" engine company (USA Blog)

(1/4) > >>

Zippy:
http://traditionstraining.wordpress.com/2008/12/19/what-is-a-combat-ready-engine-company/

very worth reading.

Comment quote:

--- Quote ---Just like you said, any call could be the big one. I have seen nuisance fire alarms that happen every week turn into working fires that no one is prepared for. They seem to put people into the mind set of “oh its another fire alarm, no need to hurry or gear up, the chief should recall it anytime now.” We need to treat every one like a working fire…..and if you ask my opinion that means pulling lines and throwing ladders on even the B/S calls. This will serve two purposes. One it will obviously have you prepared in case it turns into something, and two it keeps your crew refreshed on how to pull and pack lines, throw ladders, estimate stretches, etc. There is no better training than doing all of this at different locations in your local.
--- End quote ---

6739264:
Good luck getting people to think like that. I whole heartedley agree with some of the points made, but as you well know it is easy for people, like yourself who live, breathe and eat firefighting to push things like this, yet there are many other, perhaps the majority of people who are simply volunteers who wish to help their local community and aren't really that obsessed.

The article does make some very good points, especially regarding water in, and getting off the truck ready to work. At all Alarms and the like, its not hard for the pump operator to have a look around and at the very least identify his closest water source/booster. Getting off the truck ready to go isn't hard either. Donning CABA quickly, again, isn't hard. You can easily go from opening the BA locker to fully started up in well under 60 seconds

I don't really agree with the whole idea of laying lines and sinking hydrants on calls with nothing showing on arrival. That can very quickly hinder operations if you do happen to find something and its not where you have laid out your lovely lines to.

The best point the article makes, hands down is this:

--- Quote --- Borrowing ideas from other places is great - IF THAT IDEA FITS YOUR FIRST-DUE.  But if you’re running a pumper/tanker setup in an area with McMansions, what a FDNY engine in the Bronx has on it is probably irrelevant to you.
--- End quote ---

Zippy:

--- Quote from: 6739264 on January 08, 2009, 10:38:18 AM ---Good luck getting people to think like that. I whole heartedley agree with some of the points made, but as you well know it is easy for people, like yourself who live, breathe and eat firefighting to push things like this, yet there are many other, perhaps the majority of people who are simply volunteers who wish to help their local community and aren't really that obsessed.

The article does make some very good points, especially regarding water in, and getting off the truck ready to work. At all Alarms and the like, its not hard for the pump operator to have a look around and at the very least identify his closest water source/booster. Getting off the truck ready to go isn't hard either. Donning CABA quickly, again, isn't hard. You can easily go from opening the BA locker to fully started up in well under 60 seconds

I don't really agree with the whole idea of laying lines and sinking hydrants on calls with nothing showing on arrival. That can very quickly hinder operations if you do happen to find something and its not where you have laid out your lovely lines to.

The best point the article makes, hands down is this:

--- Quote --- Borrowing ideas from other places is great - IF THAT IDEA FITS YOUR FIRST-DUE.  But if you’re running a pumper/tanker setup in an area with McMansions, what a FDNY engine in the Bronx has on it is probably irrelevant to you.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

MM i agree that a nothing showing call, it isnt worth laying lines, but more or less having ya 2 lines of 38, (not bowled) and connected to the pump ready to go is nice to do.

Yeah a hydrant isnt worth sinking till waters flowing from the pump.

I just like that the article, just says, get ya mind into gear and be competent, essentially.

bittenyakka:
i think it is a great initial idea, And would love to see just getting more gear off the truck like ladders and hose (still rolled) just for easy accsess.

I often see our crews pull a few meters of sideline off the truck. although it sounds good i do wonder A) does this mean our truck will be harder to shift if needed. b) is it worth going to the efort to lay a 19/25 mm hose ofver a long dist when by the time you arrive you will prob need something bigger?

What do people think about the idea of our trucks having spots to put flaked hose built into them? so we can "forward lay" into fires? or reveres if you want.

Zippy:
Yeah, having a Grab & Go flaked version of 38's or even 25's would make inital attack somewhat easier i think.

Nozzleman grabs the nozzle and runs straight out for 10 metres, Pump operator starts the pump, then  pulls the rest of the flaked hose (2 lengths) out of the Tray, Connects the pump-end hose connection, opens the valve, so the nozzle man can then head towards the fire. Essentially removing the hassle of connecting stuff and lets the nozzleman access the fire activity more.  Even more so, the pump operator knows what he/she has connected to the pump, nothing happens to it without he/shes knowledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version