General Discussion > Fire Fighter Training

FW: What is a "combat ready" engine company (USA Blog)

<< < (2/4) > >>

6739264:

--- Quote from: bittenyakka on January 08, 2009, 10:17:06 PM ---i think it is a great initial idea, And would love to see just getting more gear off the truck like ladders and hose (still rolled) just for easy accsess.

I often see our crews pull a few meters of sideline off the truck. although it sounds good i do wonder A) does this mean our truck will be harder to shift if needed. b) is it worth going to the efort to lay a 19/25 mm hose ofver a long dist when by the time you arrive you will prob need something bigger?

What do people think about the idea of our trucks having spots to put flaked hose built into them? so we can "forward lay" into fires? or reveres if you want.

--- End quote ---

Its called a size-up and its what your OIC should be doing. If there is no immeadiate need to pull gear off the truck then don't. There is no use unloading the truck only to have to relocate.

What is this talk of forward and reverse lay? Are we going to go all American and ship hydrants, drop hose and drive forward? The concept behind supply line hoselays works great in the US where they have pillar type hydrants on the street. You may notice we have very few permanent pillar type hydrants on the streets in CFS area.

--- Quote from: Zippy on January 09, 2009, 07:04:23 AM ---Yeah, having a Grab & Go flaked version of 38's or even 25's would make inital attack somewhat easier i think.

Nozzleman grabs the nozzle and runs straight out for 10 metres, Pump operator starts the pump, then  pulls the rest of the flaked hose (2 lengths) out of the Tray, Connects the pump-end hose connection, opens the valve, so the nozzle man can then head towards the fire. Essentially removing the hassle of connecting stuff and lets the nozzleman access the fire activity more.  Even more so, the pump operator knows what he/she has connected to the pump, nothing happens to it without he/shes knowledge.

--- End quote ---

Flaked 25mm? Its called a hose reel.

Nozzleman? NOZZLE? What the christ is in the water up your way?

If you are going to use flaked hose, you'll find it easier if no. 1 (Your 'Nozzleman') grabs the first 8-10 bights of the hose and starts towards the fire, no. 2 grabs a big handful and walks 5-10m from the pump and drops it on the ground, and the Pump operator clears the reat of the hose from the tray and connects it up.

After reading this thread I could have sworn I was reading the Firehouse.com forums, and was about to tell you all about my 3" precconect line with smooth bore nozzle, and how that was better for most small jobs compared to the trash line, but then I looked around and found out this was an Australian website. WOW boy oh boy was I confused.

Just in case you missed it the first time:

--- Quote ---Borrowing ideas from other places is great - IF THAT IDEA FITS YOUR FIRST-DUE.  But if you’re running a pumper/tanker setup in an area with McMansions, what a FDNY engine in the Bronx has on it is probably irrelevant to you.
--- End quote ---

Ok, so to De-Americanise that for you kiddies. Borrowing ideas you see around the place is a great idea. So long as the idea is applicable to your serive/brigade/area. So all this talk using American nomenclature and ideas that are specifc to certain areas of ANOTHER COUNTRY, are probably not the road you want to go down. I hope for you sake that you're not going on like this on a training night...

Zippy:
hahaha, didnt you know this forum is for discussing things you WOULDNT do at training :P

I just like the idea of Quick deployment (and yes, pre-connected) Higher volume Hose (not the pesky hosereels, glorified garden hoses..altho the pressure and volume coming out of them is getting better! :D).

oh and sorry about the nozzleman...

bittenyakka:
nozzle man ???? yeah, no :-D

Why wouldn't the fowardlay work in SA, we drop the hose + man with standpipe, key etc at the cap in the street and drive forward, the 64 is laid before we even arrive. it it is a going (no not working ) job there is 1 lest task to do when you get there. It is just an idea.

Other than correcting Zippy on how to unload flaked hose. Why do you seem to be not supporting the idea?

6739264:

--- Quote from: Zippy on January 09, 2009, 08:17:51 AM ---I just like the idea of Quick deployment (and yes, pre-connected) Higher volume Hose (not the pesky hosereels, glorified garden hoses..altho the pressure and volume coming out of them is getting better! :D).

--- End quote ---

I don't know... I've never had any pressure/volume issues with our hosereels, but then again, the truck certainly isn't new by any means. Maybe the old plastic fantastic days were the golden age of hosereel build quality?

--- Quote from: bittenyakka on January 09, 2009, 08:37:50 AM ---Why wouldn't the fowardlay work in SA, we drop the hose + man with standpipe, key etc at the cap in the street and drive forward, the 64 is laid before we even arrive. it it is a going (no not working ) job there is 1 lest task to do when you get there. It is just an idea.

Other than correcting Zippy on how to unload flaked hose. Why do you seem to be not supporting the idea?

--- End quote ---

Forward lay is going to be difficult and time consuming to get to work in SA. Firstly you have to sink the standpipe, rather than be able to drop, wrap, drive and connect. This time it takes to sink the standpipe etc etc, with the truck sitting there doing nothing is valuble time that could well be used getting into the job and doing some good. This is not to mention the distance between hydrants in certain areas can be upto hundreds of meters apart, or the fact that many of the US supply hose lines are of a very large 3"-5" diamater. What about the number of crew? Currently during the day many brigades are struggling to get 4 onto a truck, if you leave one person sitting on the side of the road sinking a hydrant, that then leaves you short a man at the job where you need them.

Don't forget in the USA they gernally use a different configuration of fire appliances to us, that means that the truck used for fire attack may not always have a large/or any on board supply of water.

The current idea of get to the job, get water ON THE FIRE and then look for a water supply is far better suited to both Australian conditions and hydrant construction, as well as the way inwhich the CFS works as a volunteer Fire Service. Once you have water on the fire, the pump operator and the second arriving appliance crew should be working their arse off to get water in to the truck. You've got a few thousand litres on board, it'll do you for a fair while.

I must have missed the apparent distinction between a "going" job and a "working" job. Please do enlighten us...

I'll support any idea, and I personally love the idea of flaked hose. What I have issues with is the attempts to shoehorn ideas into areas that they are not suited for. Zippy calls for flaked 25mm! Not only is that going to be a filtered of a thing to flake in the trays, its also useless if you aren't going to run it straight off the pump. I don't know about you but I can't ever recall a situation (in my area atleast) where you would want to run 25mm straight off the pump, rather than as an extention to a hosereel.

There is nothing wrong with bringing new ideas up, but if the idea is only born from seeing something 'cool' that a Brigade somewhere else in the world  does rather than born from "How can we do this better" maybe it's not such a good idea.

bittenyakka:
Going seems more Australian :-D

Yeah i see what you mean about our infrastructure being different to what we see in the states.

Since you seem to know a fair bit about these things. How come we pretty much never need or think we will need a 5" hose for supply? I think it is overkill but what is the major difference needs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version