General Discussion > Other Government Agencies

Rescue 51/52

(1/4) > >>

mengcfs:
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me for sure how far our rescue choppers can fly South East of Adelaide in relation to fuel consumption.
Cheers, Adam

JamesGar:
Working with Special Operations Team next week, so will endevour to find out. I know 51 has range of about 600km, but 52 is significantly shorter. It also depends heavily on the configurations, payload and number of occupant.

Also by December this year the contract will be changing to Australia Helicopters, from CHC. This will see 3 helicopter being run from West Beach Airport. The line up will be a BK-117 (Primarily for Sapol), a EC-130 (Bigger than current 52 but smaller than 51) Primarily for Medivac (with rear barn door strectcher access), and I think a Bell 412, same as 51 for rescue role. I think all will be winch capable.

mattb:
The Bell 206 Longranger aircraft (52/53) based at West Beach have a range of 672 kilometres, leaving a 30 minute reserve of fuel. I guess that means they can fly about 335 kilometres and return. C.H.C. do have stocks of Jet A1 at most regional and many smaller airfileds throughout the state though.

As James mentioned, the amount of weight on board, weather conditions and also whether or not the aircrft is fitted with floats plays a significant role in determining the amount of fuel used.

rescue5271:
Both rescue 51 / 52 come as far as Keith and that is it before they have to refuel would be nice if they could come all the way down south east would make retreivals a lot better and faster and the patient would only have to be loaded twice rather than 8 times under the present system....

strikeathird:
Dont they have an LZ at Gambier??  Surprised they dont have a Chopper permanently there, with all the risks of injuries with the forresting etc.

Royal flying doctors could always come if there were a landing strip available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version