Author Topic: CFS alarm levels split from -->Re: Interesting Fire and Emergency Related Paging  (Read 13693 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think the problem isn't so much the pumping as getting BA crews and lots of them. Ie at a going house fire 14s are going to be next to use less once the initial chaos has settled down.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
as far as i know it...when it comes to CFS structural fires...its 1 or two operational pumping Delivery appliances per sector (yep the big jobs)...The others are merely either Water tankers, Water Relay or Crew Trucks.

So really...you only need  ONE or TWO  Powerful appliances for a typical CFS Structural incident.

thats where 14's can be a good thing. 

> dualcab 14's are able to transport 6 firefighters. 
> provide quick access to Dam water sources for draughting...where a 34 may not...14's may be the primary water source for a remote structural incident.

But damm is it better to see Pumper units at a structural incident....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
...specific appliances such as hahndorf, bridgewater, stirling pumpers...

Bridgewater URP, the 24P in a Pumpers clothing.

I think the problem isn't so much the pumping as getting BA crews and lots of them. Ie at a going house fire 14s are going to be next to use less once the initial chaos has settled down.

I'm sorry, when is a 14 of any value at a structure fire, apart from crew transport? And don't go forgetting that if its not a 22, you need atleast 2 of them to satisfy the requirements of a single "Appliance"

as far as i know it...when it comes to CFS structural fires...its 1 or two operational pumping Delivery appliances per sector (yep the big jobs)...The others are merely either Water tankers, Water Relay or Crew Trucks.

So really...you only need  ONE or TWO  Powerful appliances for a typical CFS Structural incident.

thats where 14's can be a good thing. 

> dualcab 14's are able to transport 6 firefighters. 
> provide quick access to Dam water sources for draughting...where a 34 may not...14's may be the primary water source for a remote structural incident.

But damm is it better to see Pumper units at a structural incident....

If you are going to use Big Bronto's Factory fire as an exmaple, perhaps you should attend a factory fire or two if you honestly believe you'll be fine with a couple of Pumpers and a boatload of 14's. Between the First arriving and the Booster, there are two Pumpers taken up already. That doesnt include anything to do with fire attack/exposure protection/Aerial Supply/Relay pumping etc etc.

As far as 14's go, many of them have a pump that struggles to keep up with a hosereel and a 25mm line and a whopping 1000L (Maybe) of water. Yeah, for any Structural fire where you have a choice between a 14 and something else, I'll take the something else.

This all goes without saying that the CFS can't build urban appliances for peanuts and there are only ONE or TWO 'powerful appliances' in the whole state. Good luck getting those both to the same job ;)

Meanwhile, enjoy your 34P's that struggle to supply minimum working pressure to a 38mm branch.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is...CFS we're talking about lol...And lack of water supplies etccc

oh and btw, a 34 can supply 1200kpa to a 38mm branch on two lengths.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
...specific appliances such as hahndorf, bridgewater, stirling pumpers...

Bridgewater URP, the 24P in a Pumpers clothing.

I'd call it a 24P in Mardi Gras clothing. :P

Zippy: and then what happened when you opened the branch? :P

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
i merely sat on it.  thats 1200kpa on 475LPM...bit of punch.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, when is a 14 of any value at a structure fire, apart from crew transport? And don't go forgetting that if its not a 22, you need atleast 2 of them to satisfy the requirements of a single "Appliance"

i think we are agreeing there? but i shall make my point more clear. A 14 is only useful for the first 5- 10 min while you are trying to get water/commence attack/etc all at once and the crew can be used. oh and maybe they can go and get more cylinders :-D

Meanwhile, enjoy your 34P's that struggle to supply minimum working pressure to a 38mm branch.

What is working pressure? like i have used 38s off 24s which seemed adequate? yeah i know it is only about 1 branch off each truck.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
i merely sat on it.  thats 1200kpa on 475LPM...bit of punch.

Come on limp arms, you're SITTING on a 38? Good god.

i think we are agreeing there? but i shall make my point more clear. A 14 is only useful for the first 5- 10 min while you are trying to get water/commence attack/etc all at once and the crew can be used. oh and maybe they can go and get more cylinders :-D
Sorry, I thought for some reason you were suggesting that a 14 is ok for inital attack and the like. -10 points for my reading comprehension.

What is working pressure? like i have used 38s off 24s which seemed adequate? yeah i know it is only about 1 branch off each truck.

Working pressure should be atleast 700kpa at the branch. Take into account friction loss/head/multiple lines and then do the calculations to work out what you should be delivering off the pump.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
it was a sudden increase of pressure. So yeah i wasnt prepared and went in for the wrestle. 8-)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
it was a sudden increase of pressure. So yeah i wasnt prepared and went in for the wrestle. 8-)

You're still talking about the 38 off the 34 right?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
yeah...not that i really wanted to have a conversation about it...since its off topic and all ;)

Alarm levels ;)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile

I'll pop 'round your station next week and you can demonstrate how to conduct an aggressive internal attack whilst sitting on the hose. My mind is boggled at how you went from standing -> wrestle -> sitting for a line of 38.

Ah well, I might just go make breakfast, that should be simpler (I hope)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I'll pop 'round your station next week and you can demonstrate how to conduct an aggressive internal attack whilst sitting on the hose. My mind is boggled at how you went from standing -> wrestle -> sitting for a line of 38.

Ah well, I might just go make breakfast, that should be simpler (I hope)

simple man...i wasnt concentrating! :)    it left my controlling hands and went ballistic.  the guys on the pump, yes they had there fun....  All in all, it was a fun night at TRAINING.

Meanwhile a 64mm coming out on a new 34....can only manage 550kpa comfortably without Kicking the guts of the pump.

Nah im fine...ill probably not be at the station...repeating this was a one off circumstance ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:48:44 AM by Zippy »

anything