Technical Discussion > HAZMAT

News Article - CBR Training.........Is it Enough ???

(1/3) > >>

strikeathird:
I just read this article on ninemsn news, which was uploaded on Friday.  What are your thoughts about this matter ?

SA Firefighters 'need further training'11:50 AEST Fri Aug 5 2005
AAP
South Australian firefighters have not had sufficient training to attend chemical, biological or radiological (CBR) incidents, the state opposition says.

SA Liberal emergency services spokesman Angus Redford said Country Fire Service (CFS) volunteers had been told by the state government they were required to deal with CBR incidents.

But he claimed at least one CFS brigade had received only a single six hour training session to deal with CBR hazards.

"I know for a fact that members of the brigade in question are astounded that, having received so little training, they could be called on to provide a front-line response to a serious incident involving chemical, biological or even radiological contamination," Mr Redford said.

"These events could range from a minor chemical spill to a major terrorist attack using biological or even radioactive weapons.

"If the experience of this particular brigade is typical of what has - or hasn't - happened throughout South Australia, then I am deeply concerned about our ability to deal with a serious CBR incident."

(c) AAP 2005

CyberCitizen:
Training Is Always Something That Can Be Improved On.  Things Change & Skills Can Be Forgotten.

I Think That We Do Need More Trained CBR Operators, However We Always Need More Of Every Thing.

With The Threat Of Terriost Attack's Increasing Around The World & Alot Of People Believing That Oz Will Be The Next Target, I Think It Would Be A Good Time To Get Some More People Trained In CBR.

Broadside:
I know that there is a CBR upskill course at the end of August at south coast training centre. Dont know whats involved at the moment

oz fire:
A little knowledge is dangerous.

My view - we all have our areas of expertise (RCR, Hazmat, Tankers, Vertical Rescue, Pumper - what ever) but lets aim to be competent in what we already have (not just as individuals but as whole brigades) before we take on more tasks.

We have people trained in CBR, who if the need arises can guide, instruct and lead those who aren't!  Lets put our faith in their training, abilility and skills.

As for a politician being deeply concearned - maybe he should be concearned enough to ensure we have appropriate PPE, appliances, equipment, stations, support and alike before he jumps on the current band wagon of CBR!!!!

CFS_Firey:
Does anyone know what brigade he was talking to?
I agree with oz fire to, just give us more funding, it'll be appreciated, so matter what it goes towards...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version