Author Topic: What the SES does  (Read 36656 times)

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: What the SES does
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 06:15:21 PM »

Tell that to Roseworthy who has a tiny population and then has the college, glass factory and alike - risk has nothing to do with population.
The college is actually in Mudla Wirras area which is based on the campus grounds, so that wouldnt really count as a risk to Roseworthy, be a bit like Salisbury claiming GMH was a risk to them cause its only across the road but in MFS area
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

corocfs

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 01:43:14 AM »
Well, getting back to the topic, the only time I have ever seen the SES turn out to anything here int he hills was to a tree vs. house an hour after we had started working. There isnt much around here for them to do apart from USAR if needed and their search fucntion if it was ever needed...

belive u r from stirling?? neway.. if so that would be adelaide hills ses response. they do approx 150-200 tree jobs a year... would you really want to do all that on top of your regular jobs...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2005, 09:11:56 AM »
that would be adelaide hills ses response. they do approx 150-200 tree jobs a year... would you really want to do all that on top of your regular jobs...
Wouldn't that only be if Stirling was covering the entire area that Adelaide hills SES covers, which probably includes more than 20 brigades? :wink:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 09:15:27 AM by CFS_firey »

Wagon 1

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2005, 09:14:19 AM »
Yes, good point, they do cover a large area, hence the number of calls.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2005, 09:31:47 AM »
Reporting is also different.

I am aware of a number of SES units who when out doing flooding/storm damage that record every new address/house, premises as a new job.

Mmmmmmm if that were the case the other year with the Pat flooding we would have done 20+ jobs and then the next day or two with trees down another 20+ jobs, not to mention the neighbouring brigades who were also busy, plus we have an SES unit, just north of us and also just south!!!!!

Imagine then Murray Bridge CFS call numbers - they outnumber SES 6 to 1 for the past 2 Murray Briddge floods and on average were going from house to house every 15 - 30 minutes for a day and a half!!!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2005, 09:33:44 AM »
firetruck, do you know the call stats for the local SES brigades / stations / units (Whatever they are called)?

Wagon 1

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2005, 11:04:18 AM »
SES also record ALL taskings not just incidents.

corocfs

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2005, 09:02:08 PM »
Reporting is also different.

I am aware of a number of SES units who when out doing flooding/storm damage that record every new address/house, premises as a new job.

which is exactly what you should be doing to prove that you attended that job later down the track...

corocfs

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2005, 09:04:44 PM »
firetruck, do you know the call stats for the local SES brigades / stations / units (Whatever they are called)?

Units

unfortunatley SES call stats are unavailable to the public unless the unit chooses to do something like sturt (www.sturtrescue.com.au) and post them somewhere... however i have maes in various units, hwo chat to me about it sometimes. (i wont incriminate them too LOL)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2005, 09:02:15 AM »
which is exactly what you should be doing to prove that you attended that job later down the track...

We have traditionallly recorded all of the addresses in the brigade occuance book and put it down as one call, multiple locations.

However if you report every address as a call it explains why your call rate has gone up so much  - thought it was just coz you were now in sturt group and Bwd south lol  :evil: :evil: :evil:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2005, 11:00:50 AM »
Interestingly we queried this point a couple of weeks ago after two significant storm damage nights. We have been told by someone involved in Operations Planning (HQ) that if you attend multiple houses in the same street then they all go down as one incident, if however you attend one house in five streets then that goes down as five seperate incidents. If in doubt ring the regional office (or ask your Group Officer and let him chase it up) to clarify.

strikeathird

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »
I agree.

The Natural Disaster/Storm Damage 'incident' should go down as one job. (I.e - 6 Houses in the same street, are one incident, multiple locations / wide spread damage).  As in all fairness you did not do 6 seperate jobs.

However, if you responded on that night to 3 suburbs, and 8 houses in different streets, then it should go down as a seperate job.

This could explain why SES look like they do 1200 calls a year....  It maybe that they did 250 calls, but counted each task in the call as a seperate job.

corocfs

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »
as a matter of fatc, all tree jobs we have done lately (large storm dmagae "nights") have been diff streets, etc.. so yeh, by ur method would be a seperate incident each time, however.... every seperate incident/adress should be a new incident report to SOC, because they need to know, and thats, that.
call rate going up because we are sturt group.... umm righto, so basically you think our call rate will go up because we now cover a smaller area than when we were responding with happy valley??
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 01:32:55 AM by firetruck »

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2005, 11:22:44 AM »
Yes every street number needs to be on a fire report for insurance purposes. Not sure if you can put multiple numbers on 1 fire report, maybe something to look into.
eg. if an insurance company rings cfs about a job and cfs can't say whether they actually went to that particular house or not there could be some issues with pay outs etc.

Wagon 1

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2005, 11:30:15 AM »
Thats right, I think a report should be done for everything, but I guess a way around it is to list in the occurence book each property visited because the occurence book can be submitted as evidence.

corocfs

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2005, 11:31:04 PM »
thanks for the backup tillerman...

what i am saying is sure if you attend a street that has mutliple trees down ON THE ROAD, this would be one incident as far as i and my brigade are concerned... however multiple trees down on multiple homes/structures, these are seperate incidents attended, to prove we actually attended and assisted.

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2005, 12:14:05 AM »

They sent the job numbers to all SES Units just the other week for the last financial year. I will see if i can get my hands on it and post the numbers.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2005, 12:59:51 AM »
Cheers B2, should be very interesting :)

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 11:51:35 PM »
Sorry guys, you will have to give me an extra week. We had a job tonight and forgot all about the job numbers til I was driving home.
Ben(B2)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19:29 AM »
We had a job tonight and forgot all about the job numbers til I was driving home.

Was that the Car vs House at Bridgewater?

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2005, 02:05:36 AM »
Thats the one. Did it look good on TV?
Ben(B2)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2005, 02:19:02 AM »
I didn't see it on TV, I was on the initial Rescue response. ;) If anyone has Photos, it'd be nice if you could start a new thread and post them, as it sounded like an interesting job... :)

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2005, 02:28:02 AM »
I will try and get my hands on those too. Or at least a CD that I can send to your station.
Ben(B2)

rescue5271

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2005, 07:35:07 AM »
yep it looked very good on TV mind you all you could see was the car and house and not the emergency service guys working???

Offline Chatty

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2005, 09:32:54 AM »
You could see myself and another SES member on Channel 7 - dunno about Channel 9
SES - nature's worst brings out the best in us