Author Topic: Grass fire risk with chainsaws  (Read 2962 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Grass fire risk with chainsaws
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »
I noticed this GRN page today,
1909141   16:28:03 25-01-09 CUDLEE CREEK 24 PROVIDING FIRE COVER DURING FALLEN TREE REMOVAL AT LOT 1 PRERY RD CFS Cudlee Creek Info.

My first reaction was 'what the...firecover for a tree down ??'.

Then I wondered what is the risk of starting a grass fire from a hot chainsaw motor if the tree is in long grass ? Same with the refueling process. I was previously concerned with fire risk of the chainsaw & operator, not the grass & surrounding area.

Not a high risk when compared to angle grinder, but SES always have a fire extinguisher handy.

Is this an enhanced fire risk job during summer ??
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Grass fire risk with chainsaws
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
Mmmm i would suggest the main risk would be associated with poorly fitted exhaust systems, or the chain striking a rock/nail/spike/etc...

Per the book, during the FDS or on a TFB day,  operator must have a 4m clearance of combustible materials, or hand tools available. And a water spray or other extinguisher on site.

I guess your own personal fire truck is even better though ;)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
well the few times i have managed to hit the bitumen or dirt with a chainsaw (don;t tell me you have never done this) it has caused sparks. I also believe it is illegal to not have a spark catcher fitted to the exhaust system.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
Whoop, forgot to add that to my post, the saw must also have a properly fitted spark arrestor on the exhaust system.