Author Topic: South Australian police officer convicted over dangerous chase  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian police officer convicted over dangerous chase
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 08:08:44 AM »
I think we also need to take into account that we are not hearing the full story unless you have been in court each day with this case

indeed but that doesn't seem to have stopped you, or other uninformed people, passing judgement.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:53 AM »
I think we also need to take into account that we are not hearing the full story unless you have been in court each day with this case

indeed but that doesn't seem to have stopped you, or other uninformed people, passing judgement.

Without the judgemental or uninformed this forum would be a very dry and dull, with minimal input and general interaction from the vast majority.
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Morph

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
My 2c as well, actually more like 10c

No doubt the officers charge has opened a can of worms within Sapol - it certainly got the tongues wagging here.  I have not closely observed the circumstances of this case, however have spoken regularly with a close relative who is regularly in this situation.

Most of us aren't Cops, and haven't had the approriate Urgent Duty Driving training, so is hard to present an impartial argument.  My take is that as an officer he has to make a judgment call every time he decides to persue.

He has to measure up the risk that the speeding bike presents against the risk that two speeding vehicles creates.  Does the level of offence warrant the chase.  Would it be better to simply get close enough to take down a rego number and follow it up later.  Overtaking a bus in a speed restriction zone - well that puts him in a very precarious position.  To choose to chase in that situation was very brave (and foolish, you may suggest in hind sight).

I think he may have paid the ultimate penalty for making the wrong choice under probably quite strong pressure.  To have UDD licence is not a licence to just go for it any time you think the need is there.

As far as firies speeding through speed zones.  Well, the same thing applies - Are you going to place the safety of anybody at risk to attend burnt toast alarms, or even a going fire.  The time delay created by slowing down at a school zone or roadworks is not going to make any difference at the pointy end.  Weigh up the risks against what you realistically expect to achieve.  You would never ever forgive yourself if you caused injury (or worse) to a roadworker or child in your haste to get to a grassy that burnt 10 acres of grass and a few fence posts. The legal ramifications is another matter altogether - the rules are only there to keep everybody safe, duty of care etc etc.

"Would it be better to simply get close enough to take down a rego number and follow it up later."

Clearly not a police officer are we Calspec?

1) In order to get close enough to see the rego number, you have to accelerate to close the gap to whatever your visible reading distance is. At speed or in confined urban environs, this can be quite risky. This contradicts your argument. Are you saying we should first speed right up to read the rego then back off to a safe distance?

2) Since when did taking the rego number assist when the vehicle has been stolen? What are you going to do? Rock up at the registered owner & victim's house and accuse HIM/HER of stealing their own vehicle? Clever!

3) How many 'scrotes' (To non-police, that's undesireables who have zero regard for the law, peoples' property or working for an honest living) do you know who actually register their own vehicles to themselves? If you are a regular law-breaker, you might as well leave a calling card at your crime scenes, with details of how the authorities can locate you. Again....clever!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:44:36 AM by Morph »

anything