Author Topic: Impact of a floor flooding of a city office building  (Read 3505 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Impact of a floor flooding of a city office building
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
Interesting impact at my workplace today. No emergency services requested during this incident.

The 8th floor of a city building was affected by flooding from a split water pipe in one of the kitchens during the weekend.

50% of level 8 floor was affected including a computer room. Pictures I have seen (I am on afternoon shift this week in a different building)indicate that a continuous of sheet of water can be seen on top of the office carpet.

Staff started work in the west side of level 8 at 7:00am on early shift. They did not notice the east side flooding until another person commented at 8:00am.

Due to staff changes during the last few months, level 8 east is mainly empty of staff.

By 10am the situation was being assessed by electricans and cleaning contractors. Most computer room equipment is held in metal racks. I do not know for sure if the power and data cables are above the racks at ceiling level or via a false elevated floor. I suspect via a false floor.

Between 8am and 10am I believe (from photos) multiple staff were alking through the water, not aware of the electrical risk.

Staff began to evacuate the floors and contingency planning was enacted so that clients would still be supported. Some staff went to a different company building, located in a Adelaide suburb. The rest worked from home via internet connections. Instant messaging, emails and databases were used to enable the teams to still communicate & work from different locations.

Because the computer room on level 8 contained major data communications equipment for the company, I was surprised that floors 9 and 10 staff were NOT affected.

By 1500, the floors had been made safe and staff will be back tomorrow. Fans and de-humidifiers will be in operation overnight and beyond.

So I would estimate at least 100 plus employees affected today.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of a floor flooding of a city office building
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »
Hmm thanks for the advice, ill move my works UPS up about 30cm up the Rack... its roughy 10cm above the "ground"  which is the same ground level as the kitchen...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Interesting that the newly designed racks/computer rooms have power & data near the ceiling. Saves cable length, reduced risk to water/spillage/crush/etc damage.

Many of the raised floor or power along floor installations have normal General Power Outlets (GPO) on the concrete. I have seen some under the raised floor that have all sorts of rubbish on top because they never get cleaned or checked. They more than the UPS (uninterruptable power supply) box is the risk to people for electrocution.

I had an argument at my previous workplace because she could not understand the risk. No earth leakage breakers or fuses between the UPS and the equipment. No way of switching off the UPS power.

So signs were placed on each entrance near the computer room stating do not enter if wet. My boss stated I was paranoid.....maybe she was correct.

So even with the power off to the premises, 240 volts will be live in a lot of businesses or homes (eg I have a UPS at home to protect the entertainment system from voltage spikes or provide lighting if power fails).

Then you add in the generator backup power systems, etc on the larger sites.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
Hmm thanks for the advice, ill move my works UPS up about 30cm up the Rack... its roughy 10cm above the "ground"  which is the same ground level as the kitchen...

I would suggest you be careful when you raise the UPS (uninterruptable power supply). The batteries in them are very heavy and can upset the centre of gravity balance in the rack very easily.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:54 PM »

I would suggest you be careful when you raise the UPS (uninterruptable power supply). The batteries in them are very heavy and can upset the centre of gravity balance in the rack very easily.

Yeah it was installed there for gravity purposes, but 30cm higher wont hurt ey...

but apparently need to order another UPS...cos right now....its outputting more power it can give out from the batteries...."apparently"...