Author Topic: Interstate deployments  (Read 44852 times)

Darren

Re: Interstate deployments
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
Because it has nothing to do with fleet management its all about the fact that everyone else had a new truck so I want one NOW ! There are some strange one's happening, eg Orroroo, Booleroo, etc etc, I think 10 calls or more is a bit silly, should be a lot higher, like I have said before, you wouldn't put your brand new Kenworth on yard work and stick your 20 year old Kenworth on interstate. Unless a brigade that does low call numbers has a special risk that the current appliance doesn't meet, why give them a brand spanker ?   I still don't understand how fleet services rotates appliances in this state.

Offline Sarge

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
On top of which you have some brigades who have had their appliance for it's entire 18-20yr life span and would be happy with a refurb that is 10-15 yrs younger than their old one

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Chook, Id take a dual cab with a halo system over a single cab anyday...particularly for a BURNOVER.

This happened in Victoria at kinglake.

Dualcabs are worth it indefinately. The next step for CFS is the "Rear entry door" and Remote control monitors.  Steps towards safer appliances which CFA have already started moving into. 

Offline BlackDog

• Forum Firefighter
  • Dry Country Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2009, 04:50:14 PM »

I am not sure what type of brigade you are from, thus am unsure as to your experiences... but i personally like to be able to turn up at an incident and get to work immediately, not have to explain to residents that WE ARE THE REAL FIRE SERVICE, and that we are actually capable of doing our job. I have had multiple occasions where people have genuinely asked where the "Real" firefighters (MFS) were... and this does not just extend to the public!

Pixie.

I find that if I arrive in a fire truck, and am wearing PPE with badges, and if I act like a real firefighter, then very few people suggest otherwise. As none of us should be on the fireground in anything other than PPE, I'm not sure why you think that this issue relates to uniform.

Pandering to the deficiencies of idiots is like chasing rabbits. It seems like a good idea at the time, but it stops you getting real work done.

There will always be idiots.

Dog.

There will always be idiots.
Progress requires change, but not all change is progress.

Offline BlackDog

• Forum Firefighter
  • Dry Country Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Just a very quick differing point of veiw on the uniforms:

Honestly I don't think so. And why? OH&S. Think about it. The amount of harmful contaminants in your PPE, be it wildfire or structural, that you still suck down when you're wearing it or drop off as you walk around you station in it. It's not healthy in the slightest.

Then why are you spending money on uniforms, when what you need is a second set of PPE.... or do you wear contaminated yellows until you get time to have them washed?

If you have a second set of PPE, why ask the question?

Finding uncontaminated non-PPE clothes is easy, unless you normally go naked.

Dog.... (in summer coat)
Progress requires change, but not all change is progress.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
itd be nice to keep yellows to the rural fireground,  golds to the urban fireground and other calls, and a non-ppe uniform which would be an undergarment under PPE or a more casual dress uniform.

so pretty much a firefighter uniform that isnt PPE.

95% of calls i change out of my home/good clothes into my brigade shirt at the station just to not get the smoke in my own clothes.   This is where a identical uniform would look nice...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:09:04 PM by Zippy »

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2009, 06:41:38 PM »
But "look" nice yeah if you really want that you can put your own dosh up for a blue/green shirt.

I do admit it is a bit annoying getting caught when you are rather dressed up and end up getting smelly but toughen up the washing machine is good for something.

Contaminated uniforms is something that is an issue that seems to be ignored in CFS but almost all other fire services are active in preventing any health risks from it. I have noticed that some brigades/groups are very active in getting spare PBI promptly for their brigades after big jobs. this is a good move.

Now lets get back on topic shall we?  :-D

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
Zippy, while I agree halo's should be fitted Dual cabs don't prevent fatalities in burn overs.
Dual cabs cut back on tank capacity, afterall isnt water carrying capacity what you really need?
You already have appliances that can't go where they are required, if previous posts on this forum are to be be believed.
Remote monitors and spray bars can be retrofitted, so can larger capacity tanks & halos. What you should be looking at is how to achieve more with less, not buying very expensive (imported)dual cab 4x4 trucks that most brigades struggle to get enough bums for all of the seats anyway.
As I said previously the emergency services are going to be hard pressed to justify more equipment, when numbers of members are falling & everytime the "big one" hits there are bad outcomes- remember the general community have short memories (are they getting shorter?) all they remember is what they contribute & how much they have lost.
Anyway guess I'm sure I have said enough :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2009, 07:27:47 PM »
Chook - NEGATIVE  :wink:

The Dualcab 34's are a massive improvement over the 1980's 24's.

- everyone in the same cab.
 - more airtight environment.
 - Halo system, cools the exterior of the truck to avoid the interior of the cab being compromised by the severe heat, it wont stop all heat.
 - In cab breathing system, 1 35min Breathing Air cylinder shared among a crew of UP to 6.  To be honest, id have a crew of 4 in a dual cab in the Victorian fires, you never know when you might need to pick up strangers.
 - 3000L tank...20% is 600L...i cant remember of the top of my head, but if the Driver avoids activating the Halo system till the last minute (just before it becomes unbearable)....it should go a long way.  Dont waste it on waiting for the fire to come to you.   Careful choice essentially.

This...all coming from the fingers of a *inexperienced* firefighter.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
Err....

It may be true that a dual cab is "safer" and has slightly better communications But For all bush firefighting that i have been involved in i would only take the dual cabs for slightly improved comfort. The situational awerness afforded by being on a crew deck is great as well as practical size and layout of appliances.

Take the above comment in terms of Bush fir fighting NOT urban work.

misterteddy

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »

I find that if I arrive in a fire truck, and am wearing PPE with badges

badges?....badges?....we don't need no steenking badges

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 03:51:11 AM »

I find that if I arrive in a fire truck, and am wearing PPE with badges

badges?....badges?....we don't need no steenking badges

:-D Gold......you even got stinking spelt right!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 08:35:02 AM »
Have a look at these two stories from CFA fire fighters.

The first one will have you thinking about our own crew safety on the fireground and the single cab v dual cab argument.

http://69.4.229.229/~spirlei0/leishman/blogb/?p=423

http://platypus.wandin.net/dotclear/index.php?post/2009/02/20/The-story-of-1-Fire-Fighter

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »
WOW :-o Great read.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

misterteddy

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:01 AM »
mattb....great link, well done

chilling insight into how quickly it can turn pear-shaped

Offline firegun

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »
thanks mattb
i agree a great read :-o
every one should read it (i read it twice to fully grasp what they went through)
bring on the duel cabs.:-)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
Great read - thanks
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Burnover

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
Just a word of warning. The "Halo" and other protective spray systems are only designed for fires less than 10MW/M (FDI 40, 20 Tonnes/Hectare). During Black Saturday the FDI was 100-300 and the fuels loads were 40+ Tonnes in places. Any tanker (Halo eqipped, Fire King etc) could not survive these conditions.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »
i could see the firekings taking on much more than a standard halo'ed 34P...but then again, theres just fires you wouldnt go against ever.  Comes down to, only do what a Standard old 24 can do, to stay safe.

Anyone else heading to victoria soon?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2009, 11:39:08 AM »
Pixie.

I find that if I arrive in a fire truck, and am wearing PPE with badges, and if I act like a real firefighter, then very few people suggest otherwise. As none of us should be on the fireground in anything other than PPE, I'm not sure why you think that this issue relates to uniform.

Ah, you must be from one of those special brigades that is still hanging onto its decade old issue of Badged PPE. Nothing I've recieved in the past few years, outside of the dress uniform, has anything badge related on it - Maybe thats why people get us confused? ;)

You should perhaps take a look at fatigue and heat stress management policies, as by the sounds of it, you've never dressed down on the fireground by taking off your turnout coat. A Brigade/Service shirt looks 110% better than a torn wifebeater or business shirt.

Then why are you spending money on uniforms, when what you need is a second set of PPE.... or do you wear contaminated yellows until you get time to have them washed?

I can get my PBI washed by Lion, but getting a spare set has been like pulling teeth. I don't know where to wash my nomex. I refuse to do it at home, and the local drycleaner isn't very fond of me rocking up with armfuls of contaminated clothing! If I had to clean my PPE every time it got dirty, then I would be sending away the PBI weekly and the Nomex monthly!

Just think... if only we had a set of 'station wear' that we could wear under our PPE to jobs, use it instead of turnout gear at rescues, wear inside a Gas Suit, and use to look professional at Public Events!

We'ed at least look like we know what we are doing...

Yeah, but in the back of a Holden V8 Ute, sitting on a carton of Pale, with a shotgun across my lap. (Gotta protect the boarder somehow!)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
Pixie.

Ah, you must be from one of those special brigades that is still hanging onto its decade old issue of Badged PPE. Nothing I've recieved in the past few years, outside of the dress uniform, has anything badge related on it - Maybe thats why people get us confused? ;)

You should perhaps take a look at fatigue and heat stress management policies, as by the sounds of it, you've never dressed down on the fireground by taking off your turnout coat. A Brigade/Service shirt looks 110% better than a torn wifebeater or business shirt.

I can get my PBI washed by Lion, but getting a spare set has been like pulling teeth. I don't know where to wash my nomex. I refuse to do it at home, and the local drycleaner isn't very fond of me rocking up with armfuls of contaminated clothing! If I had to clean my PPE every time it got dirty, then I would be sending away the PBI weekly and the Nomex monthly!

Just think... if only we had a set of 'station wear' that we could wear under our PPE to jobs, use it instead of turnout gear at rescues, wear inside a Gas Suit, and use to look professional at Public Events!

We'ed at least look like we know what we are doing...

Yeah, but in the back of a Holden V8 Ute, sitting on a carton of Pale, with a shotgun across my lap. (Gotta protect the boarder somehow!)

Region 1 PBI spare sets,  hand in the Dirty set's and ask for the same size back there and there,  send them back when your own set returns ;)  Theres apparently a good 30 or so spare sets..of varying sizes.

Hehe, have to keep the mexicans away from stealing our V8's.

With clothing...we'd also look the part when televised on TV....which would make Euan smile.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:56:18 AM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »
Region 1 PBI spare sets,  hand in the Dirty set's and ask for the same size back there and there,  send them back when your own set returns ;)  Theres apparently a good 30 or so spare sets..of varying sizes.

And spend the next few months waiting for my own set back... Yeah, fun. I've had problems in the past, perhaps its time to throw myself at the mercy of Region again? Although that never tends to work out well...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
you can drive out to gepps cross if you want :-D

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
you can drive out to gepps cross if you want :-D

And thus get kicked in the behind by Region... ;)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
youll probably get a good turn around when its not fire season ;)

3 weeks myself.