Author Topic: CFA Sale tanker  (Read 8287 times)

rescue5271

CFA Sale tanker
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
This appliances was used by members of the Naracoorte group and a MFS firefighter at the Churchill fire...

rescue5271

Re: CFA Sale tanker
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
photo's where taken by Naracoorte brigade member SHANE SMITH and he was the main driver for this appliances and said it went well for a big tanker and was only a year or so old...

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
The crew that where on this tanker was mixed 3 x CFS and 1 x MFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
Interesting the brigade name is so small... I've never seen a CFS appliance with the brigade name that size...

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
our Pumpers name is around that size,but I don't think that is they type of appliance you are speaking of... but I must otherwise agree, for a rural appliance, that name is really small.
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
our Pumpers name is around that size,but I don't think that is they type of appliance you are speaking of... but I must otherwise agree, for a rural appliance, that name is really small.

Good point, I should have said Rural appliance - there are a few pumpers and smaller appliances without big name tags now I think about it! :oops:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
yeah, ya dont need massive callsigns on appliances these days...its about good communications and officers in charges :P

MFS appliances look one and the same,  just an additional GP pump at the fireground...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:14:16 PM by Zippy »

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
yeah, ya dont need massive callsigns on appliances these days...its about good communications and officers in charges :P

It's a matter of brigade pride, not communication...  Maybe times have changed, but its used to be that inter-brigade rivalry encouraged brigades to clearly identify themselves rather than just be a CFS truck.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Saw the Sale tanker while i was there.  We also had Stratford tanker in our strike team.  Nice truck with the "Halo" crew protection all round including wheel arches, not just on the cab.  Had a access door at the rear of the cab for crew to access crew deck from cabin....no need to even get off the truck.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
Saw the Sale tanker while i was there.  We also had Stratford tanker in our strike team.  Nice truck with the "Halo" crew protection all round including wheel arches, not just on the cab.  Had a access door at the rear of the cab for crew to access crew deck from cabin....no need to even get off the truck.

Our crew member who went over was based on Stratford tanker and loved it, especially the crew deck entrance from the cab and the GPS in it which did street names and map grid references.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mpcfs

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »
The Sale Tanker as from 2 days ago has a cracked windscreen top to bottom (due to a stone being flicked from an excavator)and the foam proportioner no longer works. The halo works a treat around the entire appliance and the crew seating in the rear is very nice.

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
The first CFS crew to drive this appliance also had some problems with it not sure of the full story had something to do with putting it into reverse and rather than go back it went forward.....

misterteddy

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
its a feature of this appliance build that when the engine revs die and the driver just catches it before it stalls, then there can be a compression backload and the engine can fire in revers - so exhaust coming out the air filter,, 6 reverse 1 forwards gears...lol, the CFA mechanic was trying not to laugh when he told us. To fix just switch it of, and start it again.

This build is pretty good, spoiled by the fact that it only seats 5, theres a dinky rubber underbody hose reel (just like all the Hino 34s) on the ones I saw, and theres lots of lockers underneath the appliance to catch and snag on obstructions. Body locker space is limited. The Maffra appliance had taken a battering on one of its underbody lockers when we were there. One of the versions that was there had 3700l of water, which was interesting.

Interesting to see the different builds of the same appliance between Varley and SEM. Also interesting to see the latest version from Grange CFA with a front remote controlled monitor

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Wait till the CFA Light Tankers get rolled out....3 remote control monitors and 2000+ litres of water...on a Larger 14 chassis.

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »
The CFA light tanker is doing the CFA regional tour at the moment and all reports say its great and will be something to look forward too if they build them. Is been to a couple of big fires as CFA ran out of appliances and crews where very happy with it and the remote control gear that is on it....

misterteddy

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 06:44:58 AM »
Wait till the CFA Light Tankers get rolled out....3 remote control monitors and 2000+ litres of water...on a Larger 14 chassis.

where we were working every CFA tanker has remote controlled monitors....u just have to yell at them where to direct their water....they spend all their time on the deck with deck hoses and not on the ground turning stuff over

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »
its a feature of this appliance build that when the engine revs die and the driver just catches it before it stalls, then there can be a compression backload and the engine can fire in revers - so exhaust coming out the air filter,, 6 reverse 1 forwards gears...lol, the CFA mechanic was trying not to laugh when he told us. To fix just switch it of, and start it again.

Our Hino has done it a couple of times.....just need to make drivers aware :wink:
Some of the guys at the briefing in Vic thought the Task Force Commanders were having a joke to start with till i told them our story. :lol:

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »
Can happen on older trucks too!  The Region10.3 spare we were using at the Churchill fires started running backwards when performing a stall start during a failed hill climb - took me a second or two to work out what the .... was going on!!!!
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

anything