Author Topic: Gallantry to the rescue  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
Gallantry to the rescue
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:43:59 PM »
Today, a boat was caught out at see on the outer harbour, so the police boat was called. When trying to rescue the boat the police boat got stuck and had to be rescued aswell, and to the rescue was the MFS gallantry, which rescued both boats. Go you good thing!
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Gallantry to the rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »
Today, a boat was caught out at see on the outer harbour, so the police boat was called. When trying to rescue the boat the police boat got stuck and had to be rescued aswell, and to the rescue was the MFS gallantry, which rescued both boats. Go you good thing!

Good that it was used...but also I would expect one of the Volunteer Marine Rescue organisation boats could have done (& do) the same thing.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »
Wow, it had a call, might beat the 9 calls it attended last year....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

Does it get a plaque to mount up on the bulkhead with the details of the daringrescue.

Is the Gallantry permanently manned, or as needed? And if it is manned permanently would getting assigned to it be a permanet fishing trip in the port river?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:01:15 PM »
It gets manned by Largs North and Port Adelaide MFS
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
Well I know it was a mad scramble to get it going to the incident, and the Police boat was disabled when the rope they threw to the stricken yacht got wrapped around their propellors.

As for VMR attending the job,the swell would have even overwhelmed their little boats :-P 
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 07:24:30 PM »
Well I know it was a mad scramble to get it going to the incident, and the Police boat was disabled when the rope they threw to the stricken yacht got wrapped around their propellors.

As for VMR attending the job,the swell would have even overwhelmed their little boats :-P 

Ahhh, toss out the bait & sometimes you get a nibble        :lol:

I am not a sailor but I would hope the 'Intrepid' (6.7M Wescraft cabin cruiser) given to the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard at North Haven in November 2008 could handle some of the conditions. See http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=2570

Their website http://www.coastguard.com.au/location/southaustralia/saf1/ also lists two 6.8m 'boats'.

Otherwise it is $72,000 worth of equipment sitting.

Sorry, but I had to see if someone would bite.... it is good that marine resources from any emergency service was used to resolve the problem.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:50 AM »
Badjas - VMR did not attend this one.

The ERV is manned by crew from 281 & 2814

Interesting to note that according to the media, the police rescued one stranded boat... and yet no mention of MFS then assisting to tow them [SAPOL] back to mooring. Media gag??

anything