Author Topic: CFA light tanker  (Read 7383 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFA light tanker
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
Go To you tube and type in light tanker concept....about a 6 minute video pretty interesting  :-)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CFA light tanker
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
about the 5th mention on this forum about....CFS should just ask to borrow it for a month or two to show it around lol....

From what the video shows and other thoughts,  it looks like the ultimate low crew machine!

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:14 AM »
ahh yea i wasnt sure zippy..exactly what i thought about the low crew numbers

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »
But i would say...

Use it for any running grassies, maybe some other rural calls, and Assist other agencies jobs.

But if youve got crew, use your real appliance...

Offline firegun

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »
couldn't agree more zippy and mac13, looks like an ideal low crew number unit for struggling brigades, lets get it over for a proper "look see" and try out  :-)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »
i was thinkin obviously the remote monitors is the idea we are all hanging to see..why cant we retro fit existing appliances with this technology. this would cover the low crew numbers problem.

misterteddy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
I'll give everyone a stong tip (no pun intended - well kinda )....monitors use heaps of water, even the dinky ones on this appliance, whether they have adjustable tips or not - 2000l wont go far at all.

So on one hand...yes u can roll with 2 people,...u better roll another tanker to keep up the water to them

Having said that, I think the concept has many more advantageous points than the monitor fit out.....so I would be looking at those and not even seriously considering a monitor. A much more fit for purpose appliance than most 24s

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
As long as the monitors has flow rate control, along with higher pressure use,  they'd seem to work well with 2000L.   All about conservative water use! :)

misterteddy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
having used one Zippy....i disagree.

Even when your standing still its not a precise science trying to get water on fire quickly.....you end up wasting a lot of water just getting the stream pointed near to the red stuff.

If you think thats hard....try it on the run....effective water use is low and u end up running out very quickly and not much of it got near where it was supposed to

Maybe the Gen Y and Z computer gamers will do better.....but then again...maybe not. As I said...the monitor shouldn't be the selling tool for this appliance, it has many better features

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
I missed out on seeing the new light tanker when it was doing the tour in CFA region 4 but have spoken to a number of  CFA members who have used it in anger and all agree its the way of the future for a brigade that has very low numbers.Its not that easy for CFS to get a loan of this tanker as they would have to pay for the driver who is the only one that is able to drive the appliance at this stage as the tanker as no classification under VICROADS. From all reports the 2000lt 4wd tankers will suit brigades who have ayounger members but will also suit towns with low population and low brigade membership....

Offline Burnover

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »
The Light Tanker is due to be tested in the CSIRO Bushfire Simulator (Burnover Simulator) in April/May. It could be a "firey end" for the Light Tanker.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »
have u actually seen how much more of a Halo system it is to protect itself!  Pretty much covers the entire appliance.

Offline Burnover

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
For anyone interested the ABC's New Inventors have a episode on "Fighting Fire" this week. It's going to feature the CFA Light Tanker, Guardian Comms System and EYEfi SPARC.

ltdan

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Guys,

CFS have looked at this prototype.

Not sure how much further it has progressed. 

Just remember I think that this vehicle would not be cheap to build due to the technology in this appliance.  The next question would be how its reliability would be with all this extra electronics. 

Overall nice truck, but would like to see it on the fireground for 12 months before making a real opinion.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
Guys,

CFS have looked at this prototype.

Not sure how much further it has progressed. 

Just remember I think that this vehicle would not be cheap to build due to the technology in this appliance.  The next question would be how its reliability would be with all this extra electronics. 

Overall nice truck, but would like to see it on the fireground for 12 months before making a real opinion.

I wonder if theyve ever considered trying to loan neighbouring state's appliances....we could share ours in the same manner.....makes each state aware of the options!