Author Topic: Pumper outlet positions split from Burnside Pumper  (Read 13968 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumper outlet positions split from Burnside Pumper
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 12:57:57 PM »
Tank Valve...Recirculation Valve...quick names.

but yes your right, for teaching people pumps,  Pump to tank and Tank to pump. Only thing i see tho is people get spun around in circles with those tongue twisters when pressures put on them in training ;)

Anyway, enough of pump chat from me....lunch time.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
Fishins mighty fine today! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 04:57:36 PM »
Bites aplenty :-D

The NSWFB have a setup on some of the rear mount pumpers where one side of the pump the inlets/outlets face on an angle one way and on the other side they face on an opposing angle the other way.   Does this make a larger area to work with at the pump.

At the moment our local supermarket complex has a very large sprinkler setup and multipe hydrant locations (the usual) with a 2 in 2 out box, over the next 6 months the supermarket will increase in size by 50% and the mall will increase by over 100%. 
If they increase the booster box capacity would this help our brigade in a push for a better urban appliance for our brigade?
Just curious is all, if anyone in the know is out there :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline joff

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
Big Al your best bet is to contact the cfs fire safety department through the region. They should come out and tell you if your appliance is sufficient for the task at hand. Then from there it may give you more of a reason to look at a more urban suited appliance. Having boosters and suppression systems is just one of the things CFS look at, if you have lots of money in your piggy bank or have a chief in your brigade is another.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
Well got neither of those so will have to do it the hard way lol
Cheers Joff. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 06:29:55 PM »
Alan, you would have had better support from the commander who used to work in the fire safety section as he was the one who was pushing for briagde's outside of region 1 to get better applainces due to the urban risk's in country and seaside towns.....

Can I ask how many people have used a rear mounted PUMPER???   I have used both rear and midship pumps and both are very good, I am sure burnside have gone the way they have because of what they know about their own area but also the area that they support with in the group or MFS. Rear mounted pumpers are a lot more easy to repair/replace used the pump need urgent workmas for teh layout of valves I dont see a problem with them its a matter of the crew/brigade getting used to what they have.....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
"STOP THE PRESS" .............Bill are you suggesting there are risks outside of region 1,.............okay okay you nearly got me there, very funny... well done!

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »
Good luck Al, we have 17 premises with boosters in our area including a few that are six in six out, and we have been working for a long time to try and justify our need.

All you can do is put together your submission based on the facts and let them decide, if they think you don't need one at least you have passed the risk on to them should things go wrong down the track.

BTW Al, In very general terms we found with all the testing we did and speaking to a number of fire system engineers that our standard 24P / 34P pumps will be adequate if you only want to boost to one hydrant at a distance of about 100m, if you have sprinklers flowing or want any more hydrants then you are probably going to struggle.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Quote from: mattb
BTW Al, In very general terms we found with all the testing we did and speaking to a number of fire system engineers that our standard 24P / 34P pumps will be adequate if you only want to boost to one hydrant at a distance of about 100m, if you have sprinklers flowing or want any more hydrants then you are probably going to struggle.

If the need arises for serious boosting, I have a feeling more than one hydrant is going to be tapped, and as you suggested, a highly likely chance sprinklers will be operating. So yeah, the rural P's will definately struggle a little.

Darren

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 05:56:32 AM »
WE did some testing with Morphett Vale with our Type 2 and their 24P, it was fine with the 1 Hydrant we were boosting, but after that, the volume of water we could flow with 4 in 4 out compared to 2 in 2 out was worlds apart. When you think about it, you have a decent ring main with 4 hydrants and a sprinkler system then your stuffed with anything less than a type 2, or more so, a 34P/24P with a proper plumbing set up.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »
it'd pretty much take 2-3 P appliances to run a sprinkler system right?   so until a single Medium Pumper goes into an area like Goolwa...3rd alarm just for pumping power ;)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 09:53:12 AM »
it'd pretty much take 2-3 P appliances to run a sprinkler system right?   so until a single Medium Pumper goes into an area like Goolwa...3rd alarm just for pumping power ;)

Well Zippmiester, its just like being a good host at a party....eeeeveryones invited!

Though this could cause the uninitiated some pause, with too many couplings taking place, male/female everywhere you look, and debate still rages as to wether side delivery or rear delivery is the most desirable, it would need some orgynisation.
Bet there would still be some poor bugger standing there with their stortz in their hand and no one to couple too.   :-o

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
your the 4th person to call me zipmister Today!..guys, is this a conspiracy!

Lol...i tend to reserve my "eye-rollings" for Firecall Parties.

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
Also having operated Dennis a few time with 2 supply lines and multiple lines out it did become a pain having to step over and lean over all the hoses to do stuff, so clearing the way for the pump operator is the way to go.

Yes, can agree that the inlet/outlet set-up on the Dennis is not ideal...
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
It is the smartest thing to split your deliveries and supply lines, when you pull up to a job you can run hose from the side straight into the job and there is then no confusion as to where the hoses are going. It has been proven to be very successful in cfa and they do see a lot of flame.

It IS the smartest thing hands down is it? Because the CFA and all the flame they see say so? Fair enough. I guess the discussion may as well end there.

At the end of the day, it's all going to come down to personal preference. I like having all my lines concentrated so I can stand on them. I also enjoy having the flexibility of not having to run hoses around the truck if we want more than two lines going to any particular side. You, and the CFA/Mt. Barker/Happy Valley may well enjoy having two lines running out both sides. Thats cool. Job still gets done no?

At the end of the day, as others have said, they chance that ANY CFS appliance will EVER be running 4 in 4 out is essentially nill, so does that render this whole discussion useless? (Like most others around here)

teddy my friend, see the thing is cfs do not even run an operate pumps course so most people would be confused when standing at the rear of a pump panel on this type of truck, so with more hoses in the way could easily confuse and make life hard for your everyday pump operator.

If your Brigade members don't know how to operate your Brigade equipment, then no service imposed course will help them - try being responsible for your own selves and stop expecting others to fix your issues ....oops...theres that god-dammed R word again - my bad

If you have more than a couple of people in your brigade that have serious issues with pumps and pumping, then you need to take a good hard look at how/what you are teaching. Pumps are scary, but not hard...

Oh god, not personal responsibility!

Pumps don't get much easier than the colour coded and line linked ones these days...

Tank to Pump dammit!...Tank Valve for Short....Getting the Water from the Tank....H20 From a Billabong!!! #$^$5809

Hey sweetie, sounds like you could do well to head back to BFF1 and do the pumps and pumping operations part again. As Alex has expertly pointing out, you have other valves that the "Tank valve" can easily get confused with. Stop trying to be cool and hip and oh so full of firefighting knowledge, and use its goddamned correct name.

Or did you mean Tank-fill valve?

So fast to heap it on other 'dumb' people, but so slow to engage your own brain...

Bet there would still be some poor bugger standing there with their stortz in their hand and no one to couple too.   :-o

But it's a hermaphrodite coupling! It can couple to  anything!!

And finally, for the record, HILO is awesome and anyone who has the ability, but doesn't use it, needs to take a good hard look at themselves.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:22:46 PM by 6739264 »
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »
Hey sweetie, sounds like you could do well to head back to BFF1 and do the pumps and pumping operations part again. As Alex has expertly pointing out, you have other valves that the "Tank valve" can easily get confused with. Stop trying to be cool and hip and oh so full of firefighting knowledge, and use its goddamned correct name.

Or did you mean Tank-fill valve?

So fast to heap it on other 'dumb' people, but so slow to engage your own brain...

hey pie,  essentially, im not in the game of using the terminolgy to the 10th degree...fine yeh i do on newer people, but for when i use stuff...i dont use names...i "just do it" as nike says.  Wouldnt it be nice to be a blind pump operator and seamlessly do it all...thats how i train ;)

i might actually like HILO...if i could actually manage to HEAR what my OIC is sayin from the front of the cab....theres other factors..but predominatly its just too loud (our specific brigade added siren)   Theres a reason the Yanks appliances have Ear Muff/headphones in there cabs right???
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 02:56:46 PM by Zippy »

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »

But it's a hermaphrodite coupling! It can couple to  anything!!

Numbers, in isolation what you have used my quote for is correct........ BUT if my initial statement is taken in its entirity, then its less correct, in fact its that less correct its wrong!

anything