Author Topic: Pumper outlet positions split from Burnside Pumper  (Read 13958 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pumper outlet positions split from Burnside Pumper
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »
Have heard MFS are moving to Rear Mount's, but its just a matter of when i guess.   I agree with the thought of having delievery lines done similar to CFA Type 2's..infact most trucks it'd be nice to do!

You could imagine this truck to be a mix of a Urban Pumper tanker and the CFS URP's.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
Also i am confused as to why the new burnside truck has the outlets at the rear and not the side to make life easier for crews and to provide space for a pump operator.

Have heard MFS are moving to Rear Mount's, but its just a matter of when i guess.   I agree with the thought of having delievery lines done similar to CFA Type 2's..infact most trucks it'd be nice to do!

You could imagine this truck to be a mix of a Urban Pumper tanker and the CFS URP's.

Why split the deliveries so the pump operator has to take care of more than his single panel? If you bring everything into on central area, as long as the layout is smart, makes life a whole lot easier for the pump operator, as they have everything there in front of them.

And Zippy, a mix of Urban Pumper and a... 24P?

Maybe a real URP...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »
And Zippy, a mix of Urban Pumper and a... 24P?

;)

Indeed its CFS REAL URP.

misterteddy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »

Also i am confused as to why the new burnside truck has the outlets at the rear and not the side to make life easier for crews and to provide space for a pump operator.

(one of the) stupidest parts of the Type 2 is chasing hoses on the sides of the appliance when your standing at the rear

Agree with Numbers....smart design and theres no issues

Darren

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
Chasing hoses, riiight, can't say it worries me, at least I don't have to stand a mile from the pump and try and reach over. But I guess its not likely to often have 4 in 4 out.

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »
It is the smartest thing to split your deliveries and supply lines, when you pull up to a job you can run hose from the side straight into the job and there is then no confusion as to where the hoses are going. It has been proven to be very successful in cfa and they do see a lot of flame.

misterteddy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »
It is the smartest thing to split your deliveries and supply lines, when you pull up to a job you can run hose from the side straight into the job and there is then no confusion as to where the hoses are going. It has been proven to be very successful in cfa and they do see a lot of flame.

might i humby suggest that if you're confused about those big nasty hoses coming in or going out of ur prescious pump panel....maybe you shouldn't be anywhere near it? [/sarcasm]

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »
teddy my friend, see the thing is cfs do not even run an operate pumps course so most people would be confused when standing at the rear of a pump panel on this type of truck, so with more hoses in the way could easily confuse and make life hard for your everyday pump operator.

pumprescue

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
Yeah Ted, maybe you should suggest a pump operators course, or write one yourself, it isn't to hard to get confused on your average CFS dakka dakka pump, although I have seen it several times.

misterteddy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
teddy my friend, see the thing is cfs do not even run an operate pumps course so most people would be confused when standing at the rear of a pump panel on this type of truck, so with more hoses in the way could easily confuse and make life hard for your everyday pump operator.

yeah my mistake Bronto....we could run a 16 week course teaching people on ageing old Volvo shiteboxes taken off the run years ago as inadequate....and let them loose on day 1 on a new Scania most of them have no farken idea on.....oh yeah...but thats right, we don't let them touch a pump or drive or anything important till they get to 3rd class do we, cos thats how it was when we went through drill squad ......good training plan to aspire to that

If your Brigade members don't know how to operate your Brigade equipment, then no service imposed course will help them - try being responsible for your own selves and stop expecting others to fix your issues ....oops...theres that god-dammed R word again - my bad

Oh and just to keep on topic.....I have absolutely no doubt that the Burnside boys will more than adequately train their members to operate their pump to its fullest capbility. Maybe if u ask nicely u could go along Bronto and pick up some tips
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:57:41 PM by misterteddy »

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »
Have to agree with MT, you dont need an operate pumps course to operate (at a guess) 95% of the CFS pumps, just good & regular training, oh and maybe a brain.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
Have to agree with MT, you dont need an operate pumps course to operate (at a guess) 95% of the CFS pumps, just good & regular training, oh and maybe a brain.

JC......there in lies the problem! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:48 PM »
My 2c.

As some have stated, 4 in and 4 out, means 8 hoses into the rear of the truck.

Have fun reaching over to which ever switches and dials you need to get to. Not to mention jumping over the lines to go to either side of the truck. - That is one of the only real design faults, or more should I say, designer points, that I disagree with.

Sure, you can argue all day that you should be able to use the pump regardless, and sure, I agree. But splitting lines to the side makes it easier. Fact. You can send a delivery off either side, while keeping the rear of the appliance less cluttered. - Has its pro's and cons sure. Everything does! But I have to agree that having all 4 in and out from the rear of the truck will get messy.

pumprescue

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »

yeah my mistake Bronto....we could run a 16 week course teaching people on ageing old Volvo shiteboxes taken off the run years ago as inadequate....and let them loose on day 1 on a new Scania most of them have no farken idea on.....oh yeah...but thats right, we don't let them touch a pump or drive or anything important till they get to 3rd class do we, cos thats how it was when we went through drill squad ......good training plan to aspire to that

If your Brigade members don't know how to operate your Brigade equipment, then no service imposed course will help them - try being responsible for your own selves and stop expecting others to fix your issues ....oops...theres that god-dammed R word again - my bad

Oh and just to keep on topic.....I have absolutely no doubt that the Burnside boys will more than adequately train their members to operate their pump to its fullest capbility. Maybe if u ask nicely u could go along Bronto and pick up some tips

So I am guessing thats a no then Ted, oh well, thanks anyway  :-)

misterteddy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
pumprescue....if you'd like me to write an Operate Pumps course for you I'd be absolutely delighted to.

Please contact me with so I can supply you my EFT details :lol:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »
PUA00069: Operate a Brain.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
Honestly how often is it that this pump will have 4 in and 4 out in operation at one time?  Pretty darn rarely and for those few special times it does i'm sure they can work around it.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »
exactly...its there "just in case".

Offline joff

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Pumper outlet positions split from Burnside Pumper
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
Hi all,

Thought i would have a say too. MT the CFA operate a course for the volunteers for every type of pumpping appliance they have. So as JC said if your in on of the 95% brigade with the old dakka dakka pump then you do the tanker course, then if your in an urban brigade you do the pumper course. It does not take 16 weeks to do but at least from the services point of view it covers them to say yes Joe blog knows what he is doing not only to pull some levers but the whole operation of the truck as a pumping appliance. Also having operated Dennis a few time with 2 supply lines and multiple lines out it did become a pain having to step over and lean over all the hoses to do stuff, so clearing the way for the pump operator is the way to go.

Big Al, problem is brigades need to allow for boosting in their SFEC which seem to not exist anymore, if a 34P does not have enough flow then they are supposed to be given a pumper. haha. But also i say if you have a type 2 and a house fire if used correctly it can supply up to 4 lines and a reel into the job and have other appliances supply it with up to four lines. I hate seeing jobs where each truck parks in front of the house and runs one line each. It has been implemented at a few jobs Mt Barker and Happy Valley have gone too, run a reel and up to 3 x 38mm lines with the 2nd truck assisting with a supply from a further hydrant. Seems to do the job quite nicely. You can have another truck nearby on standby with lines in case your pump dies.

Joff

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »
I hate seeing jobs where each truck parks in front of the house and runs one line each. It has been implemented at a few jobs Mt Barker and Happy Valley have gone too, run a reel and up to 3 x 38mm lines with the 2nd truck assisting with a supply from a further hydrant. Seems to do the job quite nicely. You can have another truck nearby on standby with lines in case your pump dies.

Some good and very true points there joff :D   Let the first arriving appliance deal with water delivery...if it can cope with the job by itself (dukka dukka 24 probably cant tho).

Pump training is something that needs to be done consistently like a monthly competency check i think.   Ive seen sooo many people just look LOST when asked to find the Tank Valve...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:35:17 AM by Zippy »

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
I hate seeing jobs where each truck parks in front of the house and runs one line each. It has been implemented at a few jobs Mt Barker and Happy Valley have gone too, run a reel and up to 3 x 38mm lines with the 2nd truck assisting with a supply from a further hydrant. Seems to do the job quite nicely. You can have another truck nearby on standby with lines in case your pump dies.

Some good and very true points there joff :D   Let the first arriving appliance deal with water delivery...if it can cope with the job by itself (dukka dukka 24 probably cant tho).

Pump training is something that needs to be done consistently like a monthly competency check i think.   Ive seen sooo many people just look LOST when asked to find the Tank Valve...

Theres.................... a tank valve?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »
*rolls eyes*  sounds like your in a command car too much ? :P

other related news:

http://www.ozfire.org/viewtopic.php?t=10147   

New CFA Pumper-Tanker...A rural truck following the CFA urban layout.

http://www.ozfire.org/viewtopic.php?t=10146

CFA Light Pumper...Vaugely similar to a CFS 12.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:22:02 PM by Zippy »

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »

Theres.................... a tank valve?

...I don't drive command cars, and I still don't know what a tank valve is...  maybe its a nuff nuff brigade thing? :P

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
Tank to Pump dammit!...Tank Valve for Short....Getting the Water from the Tank....H20 From a Billabong!!! #$^$5809

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »
Tank Valve for Short....

Wouldnt it be worth calling it by its full name to avoid confusion with pump to tank?