Author Topic: PPE  (Read 36451 times)

wicky

PPE
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:28:01 PM »
When you join CFS do they supply all your PPE ie: Jacket, pants etc or do you pay for it yourself ?????

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: PPE
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »

bunker coat and pants [level 1 & PBI [inc flashhood/structure gloves] if BA operator]
gloves
goggles
helmet
boots [type depends on the group really...]
smoke masks

I would expect all this gear to be supplied to any members upon joining, obviously PBI would take a while due to needing BA accred.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:57:01 PM »
Boots....After a year, pursue having boots that protect your ankle and lower 5th of your Shin.

I started out with really lowcut boots,  i forked out $66 on Ebay and bought myself some Taipans due to cfs bought replacement being a highly likely NO...so i avoided 5-8 years of waiting.  These boots have proven to be brilliant.

Trying to obtain a Structure Helmet Torch now.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:58:46 PM by Zippy »

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
CFS pays for minumum gear which alex mentioned, then it is up to your group eg mine supply helmet torches for BA operators.

misterteddy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »
Boots....After a year, pursue having boots that protect your ankle and lower 5th of your Shin.

I started out with really lowcut boots,  i forked out $66 on Ebay and bought myself some Taipans due to cfs bought replacement being a highly likely NO...so i avoided 5-8 years of waiting.  These boots have proven to be brilliant.

boots after a year???....wtf!!!......what a stupid decision that is.

So Mr I don't know too much about firefighting cos I just joined can buy a stupid set of boots that negates all the benefit of his PPE, all for the sake of a few bucks.....this should be merged into the Dads Army Thread...that is truly stunning

And CFS pays for nothing I think u'll find. Your Group pays for PPE out of its annual operating budget. Again....false budgetting and adding needless costs to the process

Wicky....hopefully u live in an enlightened Group, that provieds u the full suite of PPE (including boots) that keeps u safe on the fireground....if not, then let us know...no rule against dumbness sometimes

Offline Jimmy_91

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Southern Yorke CFS Group
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
Your Group pays for PPE out of its annual operating budget.

Actually misterteddy, the PPC budget is held at a regional level to ensure people dont continually order new gear because they think they need it  :wink:
Stewart Germaine
Minlaton CFS

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »

Wicky....hopefully u live in an enlightened Group, that provieds u the full suite of PPE (including boots) that keeps u safe on the fireground....if not, then let us know...no rule against dumbness sometimes
[/quote]

Id be pretty shocked if this wasn the case.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »

I assume the if you are after a "Structure Helmet Torch" (What the christ is that?) then you are a CABA operator? If so, then you should be supplied a set of CFS spec Structural Firefighting Boots. These should replace the low cut Rural Firefighting Boots.

It's not replacement its merely having correct Structural Firefighting kit.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
did ask for them,  "told they were adequate".  Didnt bother pursuing it any further, YES cause i knew better, was lucky to find cheap taipans and bought em.  Aint really fussed with the small expense.

More than likely will purchase a helmet torch, of my preference, over the preference of the Group Purchasing officer.......  Dont fancy having a lopsided helmet when i get "taken" by a fireground photographer lol.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:01:08 PM by Zippy »

misterteddy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 06:17:25 AM »

Actually misterteddy, the PPC budget is held at a regional level to ensure people dont continually order new gear because they think they need it  :wink:

maybe in your Region.... not in all of them. Certainly not in mine.

pumprescue

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:07:24 AM »
Well that might explain why Region 2 brigades have such a mish mash of filtered looking turnout gear, never seen such a motley crew, ok well I have, but you know what I mean.

If ANYONE denies you anything, then tell them to go jump and take it to the group, if they say no, then take it to the region  NO ONE CAN DENY YOU THE MINIMUM PPE!! Sick of these old fuddy duddy CFS people in brigades and groups that refuse to get stuff for you, as they deem you don't really need it, ITS NOT UP TO YOU !! CFS have minimum PPE, you will buy it, its your job to buy it, not decide if people need it or not.

My equipment officer buys what is needed , no questions asked, so long as your gear needs replacing, it gets replaced. I can't beleive in this day and age people are still arguing and denying people equipment.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:49 AM »
Well that might explain why Region 2 brigades have such a mish mash of filtered looking turnout gear, never seen such a motley crew, ok well I have, but you know what I mean.

If ANYONE denies you anything, then tell them to go jump and take it to the group, if they say no, then take it to the region  NO ONE CAN DENY YOU THE MINIMUM PPE!! Sick of these old fuddy duddy CFS people in brigades and groups that refuse to get stuff for you, as they deem you don't really need it, ITS NOT UP TO YOU !! CFS have minimum PPE, you will buy it, its your job to buy it, not decide if people need it or not.

My equipment officer buys what is needed , no questions asked, so long as your gear needs replacing, it gets replaced. I can't beleive in this day and age people are still arguing and denying people equipment.

Group/Brigade does have the boots i required & Purchased.  But they were "Intended only for those that need replacement due to old age and condition".

And can ya observe in my posts, im over part-taking in certain types of politics.
Id like to see things change...and improve....
But there's only so much a lowly JAFF "white hat" can do, as we all know..and it takes far longer time to happen.

Wicky, when it comes to it, Let us know what you get...right down to the minor details, and we'll tell ya what you should be asking for that will reflect the Safety First message much more!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:25:51 AM by Zippy »

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »

maybe in your Region.... not in all of them. Certainly not in mine.

so obviously you're not in region 1 mr teddy (I assumed you were from other postings).

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
dont forget that CFS Wet Weather gear should also be included in Minimum PPE.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
There are still brigades out there waiting for their PBI orders to be completed. :-o
Images are copyright

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
How hard is it to get it right for PBI Gold
Step 1 - BA COURSE
Step 2 - Get sized up on BA course
Step 3 - Order PBI gold
Step 4 - Send the PBI gold out
If they are going to have 5 BA courses  a year with 12 firefighters on a course, it's not hard to do the maths.

wicky

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

haven't joined yet.

was just curious as to what is supplied and what you buy yourself.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
can someone please clarify what is the standard structural boot? ie Zippy is complaining but i have seen his old boots and thought that was what was the accepted boot.

I also recently got some new CFS issue boots and looked them up on the tipan website and they were considered a structural boot. is that what you guys are referring to?

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
The tipans come in two styles... Low cut = Rural, High Cut = Structural...
I am pretty sure the Structural meet a different (higher) ??Australian?? standard...
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »
Exactly :)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
The tipans come in two styles... Low cut = Rural, High Cut = Structural...
I am pretty sure the Structural meet a different (higher) ??Australian?? standard...

Just to confuse things, the Taipans come in 4 styles:

Wildfire:
Low cut
Medium cut
High cut

Structural:
High cut

And the newer Oliver boots:

High cut pull on
High cut lace/zip
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 05:46:13 PM »

Try not to give people the wrong idea though, I know I never had a problem with getting the proper boots, nor did anyone in my brigade/brigades in my group.

But to answer your question quite simply wicky, yes, all gear is provided free of charge.

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 01:22:44 PM »
From my understanding that it was region that managed the groups PPC purchases :-) but to get your order filled it still needs to go through the group equipment coord. I have heard of a story where one brigade has had orders that have taken up to a year to be fullfill, and then received a combination of second and new gear (the boots were new and 2nd hand!). There ordeal involved orders being lost many a time and not the proper paper work being filled out.

As my father said me this is bureaucracy gone made  :evil:

The CFS keeps on harping on on about needing more recruits but does show they value those who volunteer. Get a new member fight for the PPC and send then on a course for initial training up to if not more then 200 km. away I think we have a problem here boy and girls
keep it simple for sanity skes please

uniden

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 03:03:46 PM »
Pretty ordinary OHS to issue second hand boots, particularly for hygiene reasons.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
How about 2nd hand helmets....  :roll:

anything