Author Topic: Convoy For Kids 2009  (Read 22426 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Convoy For Kids 2009
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
Convoy for Kids
On Sunday 24 May, Novita Children’s Services will once again host the annual CMV Convoy for Kids, the largest charity truck convoy of its type in the world.

Since 1992, the Convoy has been putting smiles on the dials of thousands of special little South Aussies – and in 2009, the event will be celebrating 17 years of taking kids with disabilities on the ‘ride of a lifetime’!

Around 300 children with a physical disability will ride in this year’s Convoy, which is expected to raise more than $30,000 for Novita. Thousands of South Aussie families are also expected to line the route and cheer on the big-hearted truckies and their precious passengers.

The trucks involved in the 2009 Convoy will assemble at our brand new venue, Wikaparndo Wirra (Park 22), in the Southern Parklands, in the heart of Adelaide (enter via Anzac Highway), before filling their cabins with smiling families and setting off on a spectacular convoy through the streets of Adelaide and back.

Throughout the day, Wikaparndo Wirra will also be home to the Convoy Carnival, a free family fun day featuring games, rides and entertainment - including Peter Combe - for the whole family, plus the Truck Show 'n' Shine!

The Convoy for Kids Committee is delighted to have naming sponsor, CMV back on board this year. Together, Novita and CMV celebrate significant milestones in 2009, their 70th and 75th anniversaries respectively.
http://www.novita.org.au/Content.aspx?p=538

Vehicle Entry Registration $25.00

We had 10 appliances last year,so if you are attending with a fire appliance let me know by PM.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:24:16 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

rescue5271

Re: Convoy For Kids 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
Do you need a driver for one of your many appliances jeff????

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
What are the legalities with private fire engines using lights and sirens so close to the city?

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
They should not use Lights & Sirens

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 02:13:31 PM »
Lets bring out the abbey!
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »

Isn't is illegal to have beacons and siren on a private vehicle anyway.

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »

Isn't is illegal to have beacons and siren on a private vehicle anyway.

What about the variety club bash cars? They're privately owned and contain sirens and beacons, so their must be some sort of conditions which allow it?
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:39:26 PM »
This is about Convoy For Kids :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »
It is about convoy for kids... its dicussing the legalities of entering. Are private fire vehicles for example one that is owned by a private fire service... with working emergency lights and sirens allowed to be used in the convoy?

misterteddy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
It is about convoy for kids... its dicussing the legalities of entering. Are private fire vehicles for example one that is owned by a private fire service... with working emergency lights and sirens allowed to be used in the convoy?

I think Fireys post (if i maybe so bold as to more bluntly paraphrase his response) is to remind everyone that THIS IS AN EVENT TO BRING SOME FUN TO A BUNCH OF KIDS WHOSE LIFE OVERALL AINT THAT GREAT

Please check your agendas at the door and even better leave them at home. If you want to ask about legal scheiße, go ring Transport SA, they are the authority and don't cloud a post that has a different intention

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:43:14 AM »
Nothing to do with other agendas. A few years ago I was watching the convoy and one Fire Appliance had the light and sirens going. The problem was the general public were try to get out the way. Cars going all over the place(as normal)
So near an intersection is just dumb.

Offline ashes9119

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »
I am sorry if i put noses out of joint but i think a lot of people need to grow up and stop putting others down on this web site the event is for the kids and if you dont want to be a part of it then dont be otherwise if you dont have anything positive to say how about keeping your mouths shut and stay out of it.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
Yes it is a great event for kids.
But the fire service has responsibilities, like keeping the public safe

Offline ashes9119

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
And we are tft there is still ample coverage in place its not as if we are emptying every station in the state and leaving nothing for cover like i said before if you have nothing positive to say pull ya head in and stop spoiling it for those who do want to have a go no wonder i dont bother with this site much its full of idiots.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »
I have no problem with the amount of fire appliance being used. I never suggested that. The only problem I have is the use of the lights and sirens on the roads.
The more fire appliance they can have the better. I looks great with the fire appliance, which I have watched

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 08:01:17 AM »
ashes9119  I think you got out of the wrong side of the bed!
Your comments pull your head in and being an idiot is a bit rough.
When I was only suggesting that you should drive to normal road rules.Nothing more nothing less. If you want to use the lights and sirens, find a place for it like the clipsal track area or organise a area with the police.
This is not a personal attack
Happy Easter!

misterteddy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »
you blokes are amazing.....you can stuff up a well meaning topic and turn it into a crap fight....well done. Please let this stand as an example of why the Mods try and keep stuff ON TOPIC, and why condoms should be free

As for the Convoy for Kids, would be nice to see the CFS support it more corporately as the largest owner of trucks in the state. I'm sure it wouldnt detract from the service at all to have an appliance from each group, not to mention using the appliances from the Boneyard at Angle Park. In the end its about the kids enjoyment for a small part of the day.

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 09:20:14 AM »
WOW, Some of you need to take a happy pill, Convoy for kids has been going for many years not only in SA but other parts of OZ and is a day set a side to bring some cheer to KIDS who have a short life span. CFS and many other emergency service's have been behind this and its great to see that people out there care for those who  are dying and are there to make some wishes/dreams come true.....

Well done to the team that gets behind this each year and i know too well how much cheer you guys and girls put on the face of young people....

As for private units having lights and siren how about you just start another post and we can discuss that there.....

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
And we are tft there is still ample coverage in place its not as if we are emptying every station in the state and leaving nothing for cover like i said before if you have nothing positive to say pull ya head in and stop spoiling it for those who do want to have a go no wonder i dont bother with this site much its full of idiots.

Pffft. Let Salisbury CFS play with lights and sirens on our city streets... It's not like they get to use them while chasing 321 code green for details.....well if they eventually get out the door that is... :evil:

uniden

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 03:13:23 PM »
No one calls it code green anymore champ its priority two. Is there really any need to attack individual brigades ??

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
Back to the Convoy for Kids hey?..

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »
 :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:02:24 PM »
"ATTENTION ATTENTION ALL POSTERS", ILL OR SPECIAL(yes, I know all kids are "special")CHILDREN ON BOARD, SIREN MAY SOUND INTERMITENTLY ALONG WITH ROTATING BEACONS,IT GIVES THEM AND THE HAPPY APPRECIATIVE ONLOOKERS A THRILL TO THEIR OTHERWISE CRAPPOLA LIVES AND BESIDES ALL THE OTHER TRUCK DRIVING, SINGLET WEARING, ARRSE CRACK SHOWING INDIVIDUALS DONT HAVE LIGHTS AND SIRENS. ITS WHY THE KIDS WANT TO GET ON OUR TRUCKS AND TELL THEIR TEACHERS THEY WANT TO BE A FIREMAN WHEN THEY GET OLDER. REMEMBER THIS "CONVOY FOR KIDS", NOT OH&S APPLIANCE MUSTER,OH YEAH.... FUN THAT CONCEPT WE USED TO EMBRACE BEFORE SAFECOM PUT THE WHEEL CLAMPS ON....out to you  :roll:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
Now I have the above post of my chest, will all brigades/units be ensuring that all participants have the correct police checks in place before attending convoy for "kids". If your in an appliance representing a service, in my opinion this is a must!....thoughts?

I know that all posters will keep responses appropriate to this subject

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
Now I have the above post of my chest, will all brigades/units be ensuring that all participants have the correct police checks in place before attending convoy for "kids". If your in an appliance representing a service, in my opinion this is a must!....thoughts?

I would assume that it is two people are in the vehicle at all times & the carers/guardians are with the kids at all times.

Also, doesn't everyone in the emergency services in SA have police clearance now ?? I know it is not 'Mandatory Reporting' level, but it is a clearance.

By the way, I bet not every truck driver has clearance, so why should we be different.     :?

This is genuine question, because I have approached some people on a vehicle going in the convoy. SO I would be interested if my perception is incorrect because I have not been a participant before.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.