Author Topic: Private Industry  (Read 14044 times)

rescue5271

Re: Private Industry
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 02:47:15 PM »
In the past its been the job of the CFS Building safety section but as they are flat out this work is being hand balled back to a regional office to do. I know down here the staff have done a few over the past few months and have been spot on with what they have found and reported. You are correct CFS does not have enough paid staff to do this type of work nor does the MFS.....

misterteddy

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 03:25:19 PM »
Halon is covered by a different AS as it is a gaseous suppresant, also there now system that are just straight C02 which are more hazardous as they have the combined effect of dumping up to 10 cylinders of -70 degree Co2 on firefighters and also suck a large amount of oxygen out of the air...

These systems are used in allot of CFS responce areas... Do many brigades know that these systems are in their response area? and also how to isolate the sonoeid?

And the paid staff aren't checking the systems... up here the CFS has never done a walkthrough and even in closer to town we'd fit systems in CFS areas and the brigade were never notified.

And the 2004 AS1851 don't mean a filtered of a lot in SA... it isn't the Standard we use...

ok....so South Aust doesnt use the Australian Standard for this?....pray tell what Standard it is that you use out there in that bastion of compliance that is private enterprise?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
Halon is still in use in some places and planned to be up until around 2030 I think

is that as a fire suppressant, or as R13B Refrigerant? Halon is a bit of a generic term...theres a few different chemicals that come under the Halon group?

in fire supression systems (mainly in military aircraft and maritime applications, eg. ship engine rooms, defence have an exemption for these things), unlikely to involve the CFS much though!

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »
All aircraft still have and use halon,there are still a number of government site's/buildings that have halon mainly in computer rooms and in large underground secure rooms like bank vaults. These are being removed and replaced with new safer systems but it all take's time,Halon is still the only safe way in which to put a fire out in a aircraft they have tryed over the years CO2 and DCP(dry chems) but each had their own problems and made life hard for those who have to deal with these fire's at 10,000feet.....There is NO ONE  in SA that can refill halon it all has to be sent to Victoria to the halon storage bank for refilling and i can tell you its not cheap.

rescue5271

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »
Hey 2468,can you tell us all where abouts is the 6in/6out that you talk about in the Woodside area???????

misterteddy

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
Halon is covered by a different AS as it is a gaseous suppresant, also there now system that are just straight C02 which are more hazardous as they have the combined effect of dumping up to 10 cylinders of -70 degree Co2 on firefighters and also suck a large amount of oxygen out of the air...

These systems are used in allot of CFS responce areas... Do many brigades know that these systems are in their response area? and also how to isolate the sonoeid?

And the paid staff aren't checking the systems... up here the CFS has never done a walkthrough and even in closer to town we'd fit systems in CFS areas and the brigade were never notified.

And the 2004 AS1851 don't mean a filtered of a lot in SA... it isn't the Standard we use...

ok....so South Aust doesnt use the Australian Standard for this?....pray tell what Standard it is that you use out there in that bastion of compliance that is private enterprise?

hello 2468....u there, still waiting for you to enlighten us

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
Hey 2468,can you tell us all where abouts is the 6in/6out that you talk about in the Woodside area???????

hah....there isnt.   6in/6out? doubt that...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:27:11 PM by Zippy »

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
Sorry some of us do other things that sit on the net all day. It's handling facility for grapes and vine fruit for a number of businesses... Used to be a 4in-4 out but insurance wanted more- 6 in, 6 out with two pumps and a tank supply.

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »
Do people in the CFS wanna do walk throughs like the local mfs units do in town of all their areas to sites at all? Cause im sure the industry would be willing... even the company i work for even though they're multi-national would probs be willing to do walkthroughs. If not for the systems then to check what loads eg flammable and explosive so you know where they are in emergency...?

rescue5271

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »
2468,you still have not given me a answer to where this site is in woodside?? May be the companys you do work for should invite the CFS and not you its not your job its up to (a) the client (b) local brigade....

misterteddy

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
Sorry some of us do other things that sit on the net all day. It's handling facility for grapes and vine fruit for a number of businesses... Used to be a 4in-4 out but insurance wanted more- 6 in, 6 out with two pumps and a tank supply.

awww...i'm sorry, I was hoping you might have done it this morning when u logged in....silly me (I did the right thing and checked u had actually been on the site before i poked)

Guess I'm not gonna get a response to my question either am i?

misterteddy

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
Do people in the CFS wanna do walk throughs like the local mfs units do in town of all their areas to sites at all? Cause im sure the industry would be willing... even the company i work for even though they're multi-national would probs be willing to do walkthroughs. If not for the systems then to check what loads eg flammable and explosive so you know where they are in emergency...?

Little is done in this regard (sadly), in fact there is a school of thought that unless it relates specifically to bushfire risk, the CFS dont have the same right of entry to a site that the MFS has in the Act relating to the storage of hazardous goods and materials

rescue5271

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 06:41:30 PM »
Are you sure of that misterteddy?????

misterteddy

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »
Are you sure of that misterteddy?????

Bill

the Act is a bit open on interpretation in this area I believe. I think there has been a discussion about the fact that CFS may not be as entitled to enter as the MFS, hence the softly softly approach to date (read none at all really)

Am I sure, nope, I aint a lawyer, but if thers talk about....then someone is generally worried enough to question it

rescue5271

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 06:20:12 AM »
You might be right but I have never heard of any problems but I will ask around....

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 08:48:55 AM »
Recently we have discovered that these firms that have large buildings in our area have been very welcoming for us to come and visit and do our own inspecting etc.

misterteddy

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 02:43:20 PM »
Recently we have discovered that these firms that have large buildings in our area have been very welcoming for us to come and visit and do our own inspecting etc.

those that are willing and open...and mostly complying are never an issue bitten.....its the others where it becomes a bit tricky

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
true, it was more the point that once we got of our asses things have been really easy. I bet that is the case most of the time.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »

Is this not something that should be covered in specific risk planning?
We try and arrange site visits every so often for this very reason...

Offline P P Snake

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
2468, I would love to know where this facility is as this is in my local brigades response area and have not been informed of any such system. Care to ellaborate a bit more

rescue5271

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »
I dont know wheer 2468 has gone have we scared him away as he is not replying to our questions???? I did see that he is now looking at buying a ex cfs/mfs appliance what is he going to do with that start his own brigade???  I did ask my clients that I have who have large systems and they all tell me the local CFS do a yearly inspection of their site's and look at the systems they also tell me that there are a number of training days coming up in the SE where local cfs/ses/police will be holding a disaster training session....

Now where is that 6 in and 6 out system??????

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Bill,

I doubt start his own Brigade. I would tend to go along the lines of Installation Sprinkler/pump testing.

Surely that would be more pheasable?(sp)

anything