Author Topic: CFA Volunteer Firefighter Suspect in Marysville Fires  (Read 2761 times)

misterteddy

CFA Volunteer Firefighter Suspect in Marysville Fires
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
another of those sad headlines we'd hoped we wouldnt be reading

From news.com.au

A CFA volunteer is the prime suspect for lighting the fire that devastated Marysville, killing 39 people.

The Herald Sun reports sources have revealed a man has been interviewed and released over the Marysville blaze by the Phoenix Taskforce investigating the Black Saturday fires.

The man, who has not been named, was formally interviewed in the weeks after the catastrophe, but has not been charged as investigators gather more evidence.

A police spokesman said the force would not confirm or deny a lead suspect had been identified.

On April 1, Assistant Commissioner Dannye Moloney said police were close to pinning down the culprit for the blaze, confirming the fire was deliberately lit.

"We are satisfied that it was deliberately lit,'' Mr Moloney said at the time.

"We are looking at some strong leads that indicate certain behaviours, and we intend to pursue those. But, of course, we need the community to give us the information to help us support that.

"I can assure you the minute we establish the identities of any individuals that caused this, they will be prosecuted at the first available possibility.''

It is believed the CFA volunteer under suspicion fought the blaze.

Offline icpambo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: CFA Volunteer Firefighter Suspect in Marysville Fires
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
they got em, we got em, how many of our brothers have ben guilty of this over the years

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
they got em, we got em, how many of our brothers have ben guilty of this over the years

Have we?......who?.....when?

This sort of scuttlebutt, with in most cases NO evidence, does nothing for the morale of the 99.999% of the service that wouldnt ever even contemplate much less committ the act!

Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
I hope that it will not damage the CFA and the local emergency service volunteers at Marysville. They must be looking over their shoulder saying who in our team & rumours running everywhere.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
Im sure they would be well aware at a local level. Very difficult to hide those details in communities of those sizes, its just witheld publically.

Can I be the first to say, that this person has been released, and not yet charged. I would also like to point direction at the matter of discussing pending legal matters, so just be very careful what you post. This will be very closely monitored. - Don't try push the boundaries here.