Author Topic: MFB Shooting  (Read 6447 times)

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
MFB Shooting
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/firefighters-shot-at-during-siege-in-sunshine/story-e6frf7kx-1225902592428

SEVERAL shots were fired, including one at police, during an early-morning siege in Melbourne’s west today.

Firefighters were called to Second Ave, Sunshine for a factory fire while police were called to the same street for a distressed male.

Sunshine MFB senior station officer Ian Munro said firefighters were looking for the scene of the callout when they saw a man in front of the factory.

“We thought he was opening a gate,” Mr Munro said.

“He fired a shot in our presence

“I thought ‘We’re not hanging around here’.

“We did one resuscitation last night, I don’t want to start working on my own troops.”

Acting Insp Glenn Mayne said on arrival the fire brigade drove past the man and the police stopped with a view to having a conversation with him.

It was subsequently identified he was armed, likely with a rifle.

“Police disengaged, so they pulled away, and a short time later they were moving away (when) they heard a number of shots fired,’’ Insp Mayne said.

“Because of the fact there were other civilians in the street a second police vehicle had to drive back into the street with a view to moving those people away.

“At that stage a further shot was fired directly at police.’’

A 30-year-old Sunshine man was arrested and is assisting police with inquiries.

``We are very lucky that no one has been killed, lucky no one has been injured and it is good he has been arrested without any injury,’’ Insp Mayne said.

The police airwing, dog squad and special operations group were all involved in the drama which was resolved shortly before 7am.

Firefighters believe the man tried to set contents inside the factory alight.