Poll

What is the Structural Helmet of choice?

Cairns660
17 (77.3%)
Pacific
2 (9.1%)
Scott Aspen
1 (4.5%)
Other (specify below)
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 22, 2005, 05:34:31 PM

Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 17566 times)

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Helmets
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2005, 10:09:59 AM »
I heard from my group equipment officer that Pacific are about to bring out a new helmet which is a rural and structural in one.  Apparently it consists of an outer shell which serves as a rural helmet, but if for strucutral purposes, an insert is added to bring it up to a structural standard? Similar to nomex, level 3 liner out -rural, level 3 liner in - structural.  Got no idea how this is going to work though.
The only positive I could see from this would be a uniform look to the CFS with everybody having the same helmet, but some with the strucutral insert, some without depending on peoples qualifications.  I doubt however if people would change at all from what they are currently using.
All in all, I will reserve my judgement until I have seen one and possibly tried one out, but at this stage I definately will not be changing over!

Wagon 1

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2005, 05:29:09 PM »
Well well well, didn't Fire and Rescue have a Cairns helmet a few years ago that met the requirements for both structural and rural. But funnily enough it was knocked back, I wonder why.....thats right, its not a Pacific.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 06:48:19 PM »
Why is it that Structural helmets don't meet the rural standard?  Is it the weight? or is it the cost ;)

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 10:12:28 AM »
It's more of an airflow issue and weight issue, the structure helmet's have alot more padding which restricts airflow.

Wagon 1

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 05:21:29 PM »
Its been a few years now since a large number of us have been wearing our structural helmets 24/7 365 days a year, I would be interested to see how many claims have been put in for heat strees due to wearing a structural helmet at a rural fire.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005, 09:04:33 PM »
Its been a few years now since a large number of us have been wearing our structural helmets 24/7 365 days a year,

no other option for my brigade... or my whole group for that fact..

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 02:03:31 PM »
My brigade have 2 helmets per person if they are BA. We only wear one at the moment. Why is there so many different type for bushfires we tried scott aspen but that was a disaster the group now have about 10 to 15 helmets not being used. Now we have to decide what other do you use a pacific BR5 or BR9, or another type to confusing. I do the purchasing for the group and its so hard to get a helmet they all like unless its a cairns 660. Any one with an idea of what to get?   :? :? :?

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »
Get a Ben Franklin 2, its an american traditional style helmet in leather. Their only about $500.00 australian. :wink:

strikeathird

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 06:24:41 PM »
^Crank!

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2005, 07:43:22 PM »
Yeah at my brigade most B.A. operators have 2 helmets. But some of the guys refuse to wear the bushfire helmet as it is just not very good! I cant think of what type it is, it is the first one that came out and the visor is so flimsy!!
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2005, 09:09:23 PM »
just get structuire helmets (preferably the cairns 660s) for EVERYONE

they may be a little bit more expensive, but do definitely offer more protection, and i know they have less air-flow, but hey.. im in a busy urban brigade that also gets more than its fair share of grassies, and i have never had an issue IME

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2005, 11:00:41 AM »
Been told not to purchase the 660s any more only if you will pay the difference with your own personal money.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2005, 04:16:30 PM »
How about the CFS spends money on important stuff, like adequate PPE? :?
Maybe if the CFS doesn't have enough money to buy helmets, they should ask for a greater share of the ESL...

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2005, 06:39:57 PM »
Do the MFS use a different helmet for rural fire supression?
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005, 08:45:44 PM »
negative...

Wagon 1

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2005, 10:57:14 PM »
Backburn, who is telling you Cairns are more expensive, we buy ours from Mercury and the price is more than competitive to Pacific, but I guess you pay for quality. In fact at one stage Mercury were cheaper as they are an MSA agent, MSA own Cairns.

I think someone is being a stick in the mud.

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »
I know of one brigade that has been given regional approval to do away with their rural helmet and use only their structural helmat fo ALL incidents... including rural!?!?!
Del

Wagon 1

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2005, 01:58:21 PM »
Yes there is no rule that you need a structural and rural helmet, just have to take proper rest after 45 mins wear.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2005, 03:33:13 PM »
I know of one brigade that has been given regional approval to do away with their rural helmet and use only their structural helmat fo ALL incidents... including rural!?!?!

good.

strikeathird

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2005, 08:21:43 PM »
Yeah at my brigade most B.A. operators have 2 helmets. But some of the guys refuse to wear the bushfire helmet as it is just not very good! I cant think of what type it is, it is the first one that came out and the visor is so flimsy!!

Probably the Pacific Rural helmet...

And backburn, thats aint right about the paying the difference for the Cairns...  Who ever told u that is a doofus!

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 10:33:33 PM »
Backburn, who is telling you Cairns are more expensive, we buy ours from Mercury and the price is more than competitive to Pacific, but I guess you pay for quality. In fact at one stage Mercury were cheaper as they are an MSA agent, MSA own Cairns.

The only price list I had showed the prices where more expensive. I received a price list with some of the stuff from Mercury today so I will be phoning them up on Monday. To get some.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2005, 03:13:45 AM »
Can't believe it.

Went cap in hand (literally) to our new Group for a helmet and they have Scott Aspens!!!!!

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the pretty lemon yellow, though  :-o
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2005, 03:19:16 PM »
Don't think you can get CAIRNS in Yellow any more...

Wagon 1

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2005, 11:10:25 AM »
Well not in the CFS approved yellow anyway, they have gone a bit more like the media liason helmets, hence the reason I am being very careful with my yellow Cairns!! Pacific are about the only helmet that comes in the proper yellow, doh!!

anything