Author Topic: Helmet Torches & Mount  (Read 9665 times)

Offline WyldOne

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Helmet Torches & Mount
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm after a torch and mount for my helmet. I just wanted to know which torch/mount should I buy.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet Torches & Mount
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »
pack of 50 candles and a roll of double sided tape worked for me.....

cheap as bro....came to $6.80 at go-lo....

Offline WyldOne

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »

Well I supposse that could be my 2nd option.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »

Can be usefull as alarm clocks as well :-o
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:53 AM »
it didn't get up as a cost effective measure thru CFS.....so I took the idea to DEH - They loved it.....until 12 months later when an investigation discovered why so many of their burnoffs had multiple ignition points......and subsequently got out of control.....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:22:22 AM »
Only organisation that has "Burn Off Out Of Control" signs :-P
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
It depends on what type of helmet you have.

The UK4AA (LED or Xenon) torch tends to be the standard, and works very well for structural applications - it retails for around $50. You can also buy smaller, cheaper LED torches, for about $20-$30, but they tend to perform worse in smokey/foggy conditions.

As for how to mount the torch, there are many different options, and it will depend on what helmet you have and what incidents you tend to attend. If its just rural jobs, and a rural lid, then mounting the torch with a fixed mount eg: The Blackjack will suffice. If you are doing structural/rescue work where you want the torch to be movable and generally point in your line of vision, then you should probably go with one of the many movable mounts. Further to that, some mounts don't work so well on certain hemlets, and may need a little bit of in-house modification work.

You best bet would be (if possible) to head to somewhere like Fire and Rescue Australia, or to a safety equipment store, with your helmet and talk to them about what will work for you.

Here are the torches and mounts:

http://www.firetrader.com.au/category44_1.htm
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
There are lots of local companys that sell these in Adealide and i sell them down here in the SE.

So try the following...1) Mercury fire safety at Lonsdale
                       2) Fire and Rescue at Blackwood..

Shop around as you can get some good deals at the moment....

Offline WyldOne

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
Thank you guys!

I've got myself a UKE4AA eLED Zoom flashlight, but can't decide if I shoukd get the Rylee Helmet Clip (http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/84) or Stainless Steel Fixed Helmet Mount Clip (http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/86).

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »
Both are very good i am using the BLACKJACK clip and its great....

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
For the best prices call Fire Rescue Safety Australia in either Perth or Brisbane... so so much cheaper than anything local and they know all the different ones due to mines all having different ones... we bought the Drager HPS 6200 for work and they sourced a bracket for us... TBH in SA there only a select group of helmets, any after market stockists should know all the mounting options depending on use straight away without having to take your helmet to them...

the wonders of the internet to browse...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:19:51 PM »
TBH in SA there only a select group of helmets, any after market stockists should know all the mounting options depending on use straight away without having to take your helmet to them...

True, but clips like the Rylee and Blackjack may be the "Correct" mounting option, but I hate them as they are angled away from my line of sight. Nothing like a bit of in-house modification!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
6739264... oh so true... the only way you get something in the fire/rescue that fits/works/is comfortable is make/alter/ or break and glue together how you want.

although stewart and heaton have a new torch mount... really adaptable,and can be enlarged or reduced to fit different makes. we got one for the week to try... nothing worse than having to hold torch whilst trying to change hydrants in the dark!

Offline whitecloud

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
6739264... oh so true... the only way you get something in the fire/rescue that fits/works/is comfortable is make/alter/ or break and glue together how you want.

although stewart and heaton have a new torch mount... really adaptable,and can be enlarged or reduced to fit different makes. we got one for the week to try... nothing worse than having to hold torch whilst trying to change hydrants in the dark!

Oh 2468, I can think of SO many worse things than having to hold my torch whilst changing hydrants. So many, so ... Horrible!

I've found that the Stewart and Heaton torch mount tends to fit my helmet properly if i mash it around a bit, and make sure its firmly in place every time i put my helmet on.

Best fit I've found so far was a few LEDS on a little clip from NEDS. SO useful for outdoor work, and take it off for anything too warm :)

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:15:14 PM »

I've found that the Stewart and Heaton torch mount tends to fit my helmet properly if i mash it around a bit, and make sure its firmly in place every time i put my helmet on.

a bit like everything else S&H supply - just ask the 160+ ambo's who've had reactions to green!!

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
Is that why SAAS are looking at going else where????

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
unfortunately' being a gov't department- SAAS doesn't have the final say - and now that S&H have put the nail in the scapegoat....er.... Corporate Fashion's coffin i'm certainly not a fan......

anything