Author Topic: Course Cancellation and SFEC's  (Read 6403 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Course Cancellation and SFEC's
« on: August 24, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »
I know of two courses that have been cancelled at STC in the last couple of months because of “lack of numbers” . (HAZMAT course at the end of June and CFB Course at the beginning of August)
My brigade has had a lot of trouble getting people on these courses because they are either so popular, or we are over out Standards of Fire and Emergency Cover (SFEC's).
If courses are getting cancelled because of lack of numbers, why don't they send a page out to training officers so people can people can come in at the last minute? (so long as pre-course assignments can be done).
I can understand that we need to get everyone trained, so brigades that have enough trained members shouldn't be filling spaces, but if the courses are being cancelled anyway, whats wrong with training more people? :?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Course Cancellation and SFEC's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:37:42 PM »
As an instructor, one thing that really annoyes me, is turning up for a weekend to help on a course and find that we only have 6 students to teach - it's a waste of my time and effort (remember whether participant or instructor we are all volunteering our weekend) - not to mention waste of time for those who coordinate the course, set it up, cater for it and organise it. It gives me the ......... Pooh's.

On the other side as a past Brigade Training Officer and Group Training Officer, it frustrated me then that we weren't informed of withdrawls or low numbers - when often within my brigade and group we could have filled a couple of positions at very short notice (1 to 2 hrs) - ahhhh it was annoying - that said though when the opportunity did arise, we placed people on the courses and hence my brigade meets it's SFEC  :-D

BUT - before we point fingers - often cancellations/withdrawls weren't known until a day or two before as individuals forgot or didn't remember to phone the STC and let them know that things had changed. Worse still are the courses when on the Friday night one, two of three just don't show - no reason other than couldn't be bothered telling CFS they weren't coming :x :x :x.

SO - Solution - lets get the Regions closer to the training centres starting reserve lists again - maybe a selected number of people get pre course assignments/medicals what ever and are on the reserve list for three courses - if no one pulls off then they make the fourth course - this would mean we all win - participants, instructors, brigades - everyones a winner  :-D :-D :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 06:32:08 PM »
SO - Solution - lets get the Regions closer to the training centres starting reserve lists again - maybe a selected number of people get pre course assignments/medicals what ever and are on the reserve list for three courses - if no one pulls off then they make the fourth course - this would mean we all win - participants, instructors, brigades - everyones a winner :-D :-D :-D
Thats exactly what I'd like... What do we have to do for this to happen? Is it a STC thing, or is it controlled by the paid officers? :?

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »
courses that are cancelled down here the staff at region try and fill them the best they can,problem is that people leave things to the last minute( medical) and then dont pass it. We have a great training centre here in region five but it will only work if people can get on courses I can see a need for a stand by list may be a rural brigade who has a member or two who would like to be trainned in RCR/CABA but there brigade does not have the gear but they work in a brigade area that does and turn out with that brigade can't they be trained to use the gear :?

Its not only hard for the instuctors its hard for those people behind the scene who do catering,admin and so on...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 11:13:43 AM »
Thats exactly what I'd like... What do we have to do for this to happen? Is it a STC thing, or is it controlled by the paid officers?

The STC is managed by staff - full time state training officers, who look after a variety of things from training development, curriculum development and also undertake allot of training delivery.

I think to get the reserve list happening we need our Group Training officers to take the concept to Regional Training meetings. If it can be agreed upon here, then it goes to the State Training meeting and hopefully will be signed off  :-D

Its a relatively straight forward process, but has been blocked many times by various Groups who don't see the need, or other Regions who don't access the STC and have their own systems :-)

Have a go - see how you get on
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 04:21:27 PM »
I cant believe RCR or HAzmat courses are eve cancelled due to lack of participants.   I, and a number of people from my brigade, and other brigades, would jump at the opportunity.  May not me RCR or HAZMAT brigade, but the day may come when at a job am required to help.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 01:06:09 PM »
Hey, even members in an RCR and Hazmat brigade would jump to get on a course!:( The Hazmat course I'm talking about was cancelled over a week before it was supposed to start.. Plenty of time for people to get the pre-course assignments and organise time off work...

strikeathird

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:04:28 AM »
I wouldnt just organise time off work, i would TAKE time off work if they needed people!

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »
Rather than cancel the course why cant we see if a region up or over the hill has people who want to do it?? As I said before we need a stand by list where people have done the pre course work and medical...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 05:29:47 PM »
Just heard that another HAZMAT course has been / will be cancelled.. its a weekend course this weekend 21st, 22nd, and 23rd October...
Its being cancelled because they can't get enough people to do it... I suggest people that want to do a course contact their BTO and try to get the course started again... (need at least 6 more people)...

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 06:05:35 PM »
They were also looking for people to fill a compartment course this weekend as well.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 10:32:27 AM »
Hi All,

I have seen quite a few messages go out to REGION 1 STAFF or training officers..... that is it. Quote " Spare vacancies in this course.... on this date..."

I have never seen these go out to any other region, even nearby region 2 or 3 brigades!

There is so many wasted opportunities for people these days. I am all for the waiting list to be sent out. I also have to say that if i was booked in on a course and i went there and they said it was cancelled i would be p&#ed off.

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »
We have been paged when there are free positions on a course that is not full at STC and the regional training officer trys to make sure that we get few days notice just in case there is a pre course paperwork and so... Other wise we get a email from the region as region 5 run a email mail out for members on courses and updates......

anything