Author Topic: Vertical Rescue training  (Read 23442 times)

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Vertical Rescue training
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
CFS staff do produce risk assessments on all new appliances and equipment they have. From there the Fire Ground Practices are written and training modules are developed to capture the elements of competency required. Example the reciprocating saws!

Nothing is stopping individual brigades from doing risk assessments does not every brigade have and OHS&W rep?

I'm not going to hightlight Bridgewater with their rope rescue aspirations as I don't fully know their stance and what they're up to.

I've seen brigades go and buy PPV fans and disc cutters with no formal training. The training is done in house and does not really meet any training frameworks and off they go down the street and use this gear. With Region having no idea they have this equipment.

As for having the guts to go out and buy and use this equipment in such a way you need to take the emotion out of the argument and consider the "What ifs" like injuries and possible fatalities from using equipment without proper training (initial and skills maintenance), knowledge on the fireground and proper maintenance knowledge of this equipment.

All I am trying to get across is, brigades that can afford resources outside of the normal equipment issue have they considered is it going to benefit the community they respond in, will it aid other brigades and other emergency services in there area. Will we have funding in the future for initial and re-accreditation training, equipment replacement. Did they consult the chain of command?

You get this wrong and you'll be hung out by CFS management above and you'll be fair game for inspectors from Safework SA.

One thing we can't argue about is the passion for the job from CFS guys!

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »
the trouble is that all of you are right. 

It's an unfortunate fact of life now that risk assessments and all that paperwork bs need to be done. Of course in the past a brigade always did one anyway, it's just that it consisted of a discussion round the bar about benefits vs dangers/costs.

Something the CFS does very badly is introducing new "stuff", whether that's equipment (like PPV fans, radios etc), improved methods of operation, training etc.  Most of the time it seems to me it's either foisted on CFS by external forces (eg. CRD changeover to MFS) or pushed and pushed by volunteers (eg. a brigade/group buys something themselves, eg. defibs, TIMS) until eventually it's officially adopted.  Very rarely it seems is something new thought up by HQ and trialled - this is happening a bit more now than used to though, to be fair. 

I think there needs to be a simple process for people to suggest improvements and an active working group with the motivation and the funding to look at them and investigate further the good ones.

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »
Nicely put Darius as we all know the lad's at the State Training Centre push for new idea's but are held back by budget and the corporate knife in the back if they voice their opinion. As for the leaders in Corporate HQ all they are worried about is the rural risk we face every summer and seem to forget the majority of the jobs we go to most now days are road accident rescues and structure fires. Plus when is the last time they went down the street to a job!

I think working groups from the STC and brigades that could use the equipment should be adopted more. You see it occasionally i.e. Tea Tree Gully's 14 CAFS appliance and other equipment tested at diffrent brigades.

anything