Author Topic: SASES News  (Read 4761 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
SASES News
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:37:56 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25627871-5006301,00.html

THE men and women who volunteer to be at the front- line of floods, storms, car accidents and search-and-rescue operations are being consumed by excessive paperwork and relentless training.

Tell us your volunteer story: Are you swamped with paperwork? Have your say in the comment box below.

The workload, which comes on top of an increasing number of emergencies, has led to morale plummeting among the 1700 State Emergency Service volunteers, with many reportedly close to breaking point.

SA SES volunteers association chairman Warren Hicks told The Advertiser that goodwill was evaporating as volunteers had also taken on extra workloads to compensate for cutbacks in public service support staff and overtime.

"It's becoming like a second job for some - some are putting in 20 to 24 hours a week - and that's on top of their normal job," Mr Hicks, who is a high school teacher, said yesterday.

"It's starting to cause problems, people are burnt out."

Adding to the pressure was a lack of paid trainers, which had resulted in training being delivered by volunteers.

Volunteers must also undertake three hours of mandatory training a week, with voluntary courses on weekends.

Mr Hicks also said SA Police regularly called SES to help with searches. But the biggest issue absorbing volunteers was paperwork. "Every job just seems to have a lot more paperwork attached than before," Mr Hicks said.

"In the old days there was someone who did that and now, we're finding with cutbacks they (public servants) haven't got time, so it's being forced down to a unit level."

Chief Officer of the SES Stuart Macleod acknowledged volunteers were having to undertake more paperwork to meet regulatory requirements including WorkCover and Occupational Health and Safety.

"He's dead right about paperwork . . . mostly it's about compliance, evidence trails . . . it's not the same easy environment that it was," he said. "We've analysed there is a huge workload in paperwork and forms.

"We're trying to put better mechanisms in place."

Mr Macleod however, disputed that there had been cutbacks to staff, instead saying the 36 full-time public servants were also stretched.

He said another major factor contributing to workloads was a drop in the number of volunteers (down from 2000) as generations become less community-minded.

Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SASES News
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »
Yep - been happening for the last few years. And yet when I was a unit manager & wrote to the then minister, highlighting these issues did I get any support from the CEO, the other unit managers (64 of them) or the association?
Nup - shot down in flames :-( - nice couple of letters from the minister though!
And as far as Warren Hicks complaining, as an ex unit manager he should have known what was coming. As a protest against the lack of support & understanding from the association, when they held a meeting at Berri, we refused to attend (not that it was noticed). Then on top of that, the constant sniping (due to a complete lack of understanding)from some members of the CFS, are they really surprised people leave? The training system in SA is too complex (if you want to see how it is simplified you only have to look over the border), the admin system is well understaffed & the whole service is way under funded. In comparison to this state (which had to learn very hard lessons themselves) SASES is a big grind. The people I feel sorry for are the Men & Women of the service (both volly & paid) who are being significantly let down by the service, other Emergency organisations, the government & the community at large.
I fear that such a great service will largly disappear in the near future due to such problems. And for those from the fire servicces who think who cares? We can just take over well I think you will be surprised & won't cope for long either. cheers
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:40:33 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:36:11 AM »
I may be biased here - but why is it that SES and CFS volunteers have so much trouble with their higher levels of management which affect their frontline work  - Vs SAAS vollies who seem to have far less issues? (i'm not saying they have none - but none that seem to get reported in the media!!

yes I know it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges in regard to the type of work and the number of volunteers - but it is the same volunteering environment!

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:56:41 AM »
don't scratch the surface too deep Boredy.....theres a whole range of the same issues hitting the surface now at the busy end of the SAAS vol stations

The issue is mostly hidden becuase when they vote with their feet and leave...(as they have been in droves) they are replaced with paid staff and a grand media launch by SAAS about how much better a service the public are getting - which of course makes the remaining Vol team feel so much better.

Check the Courier after Monday, doubt the Tiser will run it

pumprescue

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
I just can't beleive that with so few vols now days that we are still trying to run all these seperate services.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
don't scratch the surface too deep Boredy.....theres a whole range of the same issues hitting the surface now at the busy end of the SAAS vol stations

The issue is mostly hidden becuase when they vote with their feet and leave...(as they have been in droves) they are replaced with paid staff and a grand media launch by SAAS about how much better a service the public are getting - which of course makes the remaining Vol team feel so much better.

Check the Courier after Monday, doubt the Tiser will run it

fair call - paid cert IV staff are moving into some areas now (ceduna, Coober Pedy) and more RMTS cars are on the horizon.  At least with SAAS - they have an obligation as a single department to ensure that there is a service in the community (be it paid or volunteer?)   - what happens when no-one wants to volunteer for SES or CFS - do they just close the station and reallocate the resources?

is it time to implement a retainer system for all emergency service workers in communities across the state?  Tax free/Breaks incentives?  ESO workers don't need to pay ESL?   :evil:

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »
Seperate services are not the issue:- we have 26 members, the majority are also with the rescue squad or RFS or NSWFB. And we are one of the small units!
The core issue is that volunteers don't want to be stuffed about with crap.
Retained is not the total answer either, retained works if the management of that particular group is seen as fair, competent etc, I have seen both here & in SA where retained members walk if there is a perception that management is stupid, biased against certain individuals (or favors some), egotistical etc.
Vollies want to be recognised for what they do - not patronised, here there are regular ads for the volunteer services (not recruiting ones, just information) on the local tv e.g. one network "sponsors" RFS so they run their ads, another SES. As I said they are not overtly recruiting, instead highlighting what that organisation does. And then there are recruiting ones prior to the start of the fire season/storm season. Finally as I said what the majority of volunteers want is not as simple as "more dollars" etc, they instead want simplification. It can't be that hard to tell a volly their career path, timeline when things happen, get their certificates to them in 4 weeks, even organise inoculations to occur on time! It can't be that hard! cheers
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:27:35 AM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »
Nice thought Boredy, but..... our volunteer ethos means we won't accept pay :roll:....but we will piiss and moan constantly about everything that is wrong with our services, whilst at the same time not getting behind our respective volunteer associations!

Our respective associations will never be effective whilst there is division between volunteers,  different regions and areas of the state have varying issues, that impact upon vollies in different ways, whilst the issue raised may not impact your area greatly, you MUST consider the whole service, not just your part, until this unity happens............PIISS AND MOAN AWAY!..... and continue to wonder why were not taken seriously!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
Jaff- not sure about the CFS association (so won't comment), but with the SES one we tried! At that time they couldn't see the problem (the stuff that is in the body of the article), so as trainers & managers we battled on. I know that behind the scenes, the service senior management & members of the association tried to resolve the issues. However a real opportunity was missed & sometimes you have to publicise the issues! In other words "Put your cock on the block!".
And when a problem is highlighted the excuses are trotted out, "it's OHS, competency based training" etc. I say crap! For example OHS could have been tackled with HQ developed Safe Work method statements & a compulsory trg course. Then at each job you do a dynamic risk assessment (the good old Stop & take Five!). Finance & Admin can be treated in a similar way. Training the same, why try & re-invent the wheel everytime? I completed the NSW Landsearch cse recently(my SA qual not recognised eventhough I was an instructor!) In simple terms it was brilliant! And yet exactly the same topics covered - but no powerpoints & most of the work done out in the bush (including theory). Didn't spend heaps of time on the "nice to know" but heaps on the pratical skills required. So as I said its not hard. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
I noticed this week that a few 'letters to the editor' have been printed in The Advertiser.

I have not gone through all of the newspapers that are stored at work (might do that tonight while on late shift  :roll: )

But I noticed that CFSVA had written a letter of support and a member of the public had bagged Stuart's 'lack of volunteers' comment. I think this was printed in Monday's paper.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything