Author Topic: New Skyjet  (Read 6870 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
New Skyjet
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:48:15 PM »
Saw a new Skyjet at MFS HQ yesterday. Probably going to replace on of the aging 03 appliances at Adelaide (203), Mt Gambier (703) or Woodville station (303).

Looks good. Based on Mercedes Ateco Cab Chassis. BA Seats, 2x 60m HP line and better lockering are what appear to be the improvements on the older International. I'm not sure if the tank capacity or Pump size has been increased.

Produce by Liquip Industries in QLD. I think it's headed to engineering for final fitout today. Interested to see where it ends up!

Sorry didn't have the camera with me
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

rescue5271

Re: New Skyjet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 07:26:52 AM »
Not Sure if it will come this way to the Mount as they just spent lost of money doing repairs to the skyjet here...

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 12:48:44 PM »
They have three on order, slight issues to be sorted out before they are on the run.

oh, by the way woodville station is 24 and oakden is station 30.

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 04:13:59 PM »
Are you sure they are 60m reels???   90m rings a bell... ? :?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 11:37:51 AM »
Sorry about the station numbering thing, was thinking Oakden, but they got the newer International 3 or 4 years ago I think.

As for the Hose reels they look like 75m not 90's. Only got a brief look though
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 11:46:43 AM »
You would be looking at 203,243 and possibly 303, with 303 going to Mt Gambier and maybe Mt Gambiers getting the rebuild treatment, at one stage they had a lot more Skyjets on the run, maybe thats the plan, put one back at Camden Park?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »
The new 203 got it's commisioning today, but with by out of action for the next month or so. The one that was at Camden used to be a spare appliance I believe as all the spare fleet are kept there. When the axle got drop of the Woodville Skyjet a few years ago they ended up with no spare ladder appliance.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Wagon 1

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 03:59:49 AM »
No CAmden had one on the run for a long time, some people may remember it, it was the one Oakden now have, and Oakdens had the boom and pump removed to go on one of these new Mercs. There was one at Whyalla until they got there Scania 9. That story about the axle is a bit hard to swallow if you ask me....

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »
I've been told they were gonna use scania's but they are too high for some of the bridges around adelaide, they would have had to cut a section out of the roof meaning the drivers B.A set would have had to be in a locker coz the seat would be too high in the cab (what a shame that would have been). Hopefully 205 or 206 don't go anywhere near these bridges :wink:

They used the old sticks off the old skyjets so i wonder if once these new ones are on the run they will pull the ones off the current 203, 243 and 703 to make more new one's?

Wagon 1

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 01:38:09 PM »
You would think so, or rotate Oakdens out to Mt Gambier and rebuild 703,203 and 243.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »
That story about the axle is a bit hard to swallow if you ask me....

Hard to swallow - thats what MFS said when it made the front page of the Advertiser several years ago!!!! Very impressive photo, search their archives and you will find it.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Wagon 1

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:53:01 AM »
Yeah, seen all the pictures, still looks a bit dodgy to me, if my rear axle on my truck came off, there would be a whole lot af damage!!, not neatly sitting on the side of the road, but anyway, I digress.

strikeathird

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:04 PM »
Can some one find these photos ?

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 07:23:29 AM »
was talking to MFS mount gambier guys yesterday and they have spent $70,000 getting there skyjet fixed and they are looking at getting a brand new one as they are still having problems with old and it does not go over 90kms...

Wagon 1

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 10:12:33 AM »
Not surprised for a truck thats 26 years old, would they give them a brand spanker or recycle from the city? eg Oakden's late model ACCO.

Offline pete

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
The new Skyjet has a new cab but the stick has been recycled from an old appliance.The Mercedes chassis flexes a fare bit and has had to be re engineered to get it to work properly.